Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2007, 06:35 AM

238 posts, read 1,144,465 times

Advertisements

The start of the Thanksgiving Holiday travel season is here. Many of us are planning a trip to see the relatives out of town. When we visit relatives out of town we have two choices- staying in the guest room at the relatives on an old mattress or staying at a Motel/Hotel. I usually ask for a Hotel but I am given grief by the relatives. They say, "Isn't our place good enough for you?" (Well honestly it is not)

In my wife's family, they will have 14 people staying in a 1000 square foot rambler with only two bedrooms and 5 beds. (the rest sleep on the floor) I tell them someone is going to call the Fire Marshall.

So what do you think about staying with relatives at Thaksgiving or Christmas when traveling--- vs staying in a Hotel?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2007, 08:55 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,034,466 times
I keep wondering if you are related to Dingler?

It all depends of which relatives I'm visiting. There are some with many empty bedrooms and I would get the hotel room. There are others where the floor is fine. I guess it all depends on how much you like them and your comfort level.

Old 11-16-2007, 03:53 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,308,820 times
It depends on the relative. If we go visit my dad/step-mom, they have 2 guest rooms and a bonus room for us so we stay with them. When we traveled from out of town to my sister's house, we usually choose a hotel because they lacked sleeping space and I am too old to sleep on the floor or a couch! My in-laws have a guest room but no shower so I preferred to stay at a hotel when we had to travel from out of town but we never did. Now we are pretty close to everyone so we don't usually stay over night (except my Dad's place).

Old 11-17-2007, 09:07 AM

2,493 posts, read 4,400,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodtype View Post
The start of the Thanksgiving Holiday travel season is here. Many of us are planning a trip to see the relatives out of town. When we visit relatives out of town we have two choices- staying in the guest room at the relatives on an old mattress or staying at a Motel/Hotel. I usually ask for a Hotel but I am given grief by the relatives. They say, "Isn't our place good enough for you?" (Well honestly it is not)

In my wife's family, they will have 14 people staying in a 1000 square foot rambler with only two bedrooms and 5 beds. (the rest sleep on the floor) I tell them someone is going to call the Fire Marshall.

So what do you think about staying with relatives at Thaksgiving or Christmas when traveling--- vs staying in a Hotel?

goodtype,

According to you other posts, which indicate you are "broke" and about to get fired from you current temp job, I think the guest room is your best bet.

greenie
p.s. I keep wondering if you are related to dingler, too.

Old 11-17-2007, 02:41 PM

261 posts, read 954,722 times
Luckily we live only an hour from both sets of parents that we visit during the holidays, so we don't worry about hotels or guest rooms. BUT, if we had to do so, we would opt for guestroom at my parents house and hotel while visiting his parents.

His parents house is a nightmare during the holidays. 17 people in a VERY tiny kitchen/diningroom eating dinner compared to a LARGE kitchen with eat in area and seperate dining room, at my mom's. HMMMM.. In 8 years of marriage, we only ate at his parents once and we both decided that we will go for dessert instead of the main meal.

Everyone is happy!

Old 11-17-2007, 09:03 PM

895 posts, read 4,249,046 times
Since we have so many kids -- we don't travel during the holidays -- they come to us. Unfortunately, my family stays with us. It's not fun. We have a very small home and all our kids end up sleeping in our room (which we never do). I can't wait for it to be over. My husband's parents always stay in a hotel (thank goodness)

Old 11-18-2007, 05:51 PM

178 posts, read 346,933 times
We've been working off the comfort and affordability model and decided long ago that we can't make everyone happy. Hotels when we can afford it (if there is no bed) and suck it up and do the air mattress thing otherwise. If we are staying a while, we usually rent a car as well. Again, depends on costs. All that to say, sometimes it's fun to hang out late into the night with the whole group (friends or fanily) and just crash. All this reambling to say, do what feels right for you.

Old 11-19-2007, 09:34 AM

4,273 posts, read 15,253,371 times
My in-laws are coming and they are staying at a hotel even though we have a guest bedroom. The guest bedroom has a full size bed only so my husband and I always give up our room because it has a king-size bed, which is what they are used to. I think they feel bad and that's why they are staying at a hotel. My side of the family, I am always used to people staying with us. I grew up "giving up my room" to guests so I think this is quite normal and don't mind it one bit. I have to realize, however, that my in-laws are just the way they are and shouldn't be "offended" that they got a hotel room instead of staying with us. I would love for them to stay with us but I'm not mad that they aren't!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel