Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2013, 04:38 PM

163 posts, read 424,947 times

Advertisements

I ask cause I've encountered that term recently, and had someone who came across as educated in line at store say it's someone without a fixed address or can't afford housing. Myself he and 2 others ended up in Safeway parking lot debating this for upwards an hour. They felt cause I'm choosing to sleep in my car that I'm homeless and a drain on social resources. I asked what about retirees that drive around in winnebagos, of but they are different cause they're retired and enjoying their lives and he feels most have a home somewhere in US they r just taking trips. Which is quickly becoming not to be the case as many couples who do this opt not to carry 2 mortgages as RVs are as costly as traditional homes these days if not more.

Anytime I tried to relate or place myself in those categories he said basically I didn't qualify or it was different cause I was younger. Of course these topics tend to always end up in one of a few places politics, finances, or religion, but rarely does anyone come over to my way of thinking since it's against the grain of what's socially responsible or acceptable, most seem to think, (ehh he's just a slacker or mentally challenged).
To me the definition of insanity is the continued repetition of a behavior with same results and somehow assuming if you just keep at it then the results will change.

Put it in a different perspective: People go to work 9-5 everyday chasing after something called the American Dream of making it rich, which odds are noway in our favor but we keep getting up repeating same behavior day in day out. Then there's what I consider the craziest thing of all home ownership, it's a farce cause by the time ur at age of being able to truly afford a home let's say generously your 30 well home loans are for 30yrs typically and life expectancy for Americans let say is 67+/- so your stuck in one place your entire life paying on a home that you'll only truly own just long enough to die in, all while not seeing other places.

If this is what I'm supposed to live up to then no thank you! I'll spend those 30+years living not existing to own a box that ultimately I'll never truly own.
To me makes more sense to own a home in, 3-4 different areas of the US this would be living and experiencing life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2013, 05:43 PM

34,094 posts, read 83,010,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by docryan View Post
I ask cause I've encountered that term recently, and had someone who came across
as educated in line at store say it's someone without a fixed address or can't afford housing.
That's about right.
The others are either kids on holiday, indulged dilettante's or fugitives.

Old 09-19-2013, 04:51 AM

401 posts, read 479,866 times
I can see your point docryan. Plus, the cost of home ownership keeps going up. And the politicians don't help things with property taxes. God forbid they should have to make do with less of OUR money.

Old 09-19-2013, 08:25 AM

32,663 posts, read 48,079,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by docryan View Post
............. They felt cause I'm choosing to sleep in my car that I'm homeless and a drain on social resources......................
Well, you aren't a drain on social resources unless you are using social resources. You should know, OP, whether or not you are using any resources that you are not paying for.

I'm going to agree with the other side on this one. If your car is your only place to live, then you are homeless.

If you have a house or apartment that you maintain and you sleep in your car while you travel around, you have a home and you are "on vacation".

The federal government considers a motor home to be a house and they allow residential mortgage deductions for the interest paid on one. So retirees living in a motor home have nothing whatsoever to do with living in a car because you have no other place to live.

Old 09-19-2013, 09:25 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,012,251 times
Years back I had a friend who was "Homeless" he worked as a trainer, and each week he would be in a different city for the week. He "lived" in hotel rooms, Most of the time he would go from one job assignment to next.

I think he had a PO box in some airport post office and once a month or so he arrange to route himself thru that airport to get his mail.

Since it saved on airfare, his company did not mind picking up the extra 2 night in some hotel some where (Fri/Sat nights)

On the Odd week where he did not have a assignment he would:

1. Stay with friends (Coach Surf).

2. Visit his Parents

3. Use some of his million's of Hotel Points and just stay in a hotel. (Often In some real nice place).

But for about 3 years or so he did not have a home or apartment that was his 'home', he lived 'on the road'.

Old 09-20-2013, 04:26 AM

163 posts, read 424,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Well, you aren't a drain on social resources unless you are using social resources. You should know, OP, whether or not you are using any resources that you are not paying for.

I'm going to agree with the other side on this one. If your car is your only place to live, then you are homeless.

If you have a house or apartment that you maintain and you sleep in your car while you travel around, you have a home and you are "on vacation".

The federal government considers a motor home to be a house and they allow residential mortgage deductions for the interest paid on one. So retirees living in a motor home have nothing whatsoever to do with living in a car because you have no other place to live.
I guess u define your life by others definition. Is a person who can afford a home that travels the US to see this great country and avoids paying $100 per night for a hotel opting instead to crash in their fully sufficient SUV, they r homeless but if I buy a motor home and spend $200k+ on it vs the $45k on my SUV then I'm on vacation vs being homeless? Funny how the haves get to dictate life's definitions to us to keep us in a one down situation, what's more shocking is the sheep who just swallow what they r spoon fed by those they deem superior to them and live their lives based on someone else's definition of how a life should be led.

Bah Bah little sheep!

Old 09-20-2013, 07:45 AM

13,406 posts, read 28,739,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post

Agree, If your car is your only place to live and you are using public toilets, gym or work showers etc you are homeless

Old 09-20-2013, 08:31 AM

14,016 posts, read 20,914,319 times
Can we say, "Sour grapes"?

Old 09-20-2013, 09:10 AM

32,663 posts, read 48,079,532 times
Words must have a commonly understood definition, or else people could not communicate. There is nothing sheep-like about that.

If it bothers you to have people know that you are homeless, then stop telling them that you are homeless. Unless you are sleeping on the sidewalk in a doorway, they have no way of knowing whether you own or rent a house or not.

If you don't want the people in the grocery store line to judge you, then stop telling them that you are living in your car. Also, there is zero reason to stand out in a parking lot debating with strangers. That's a very odd thing to do if you don't want others to know what you are doing.

Old 09-20-2013, 09:41 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,829,916 times
Past the legal definition, I would say it is also about choice; are you choosing to be without a home or not.

When my wife and I were on out two year vacation around the world, it is not like I had a home or anything, but that was all by choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel