Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2013, 04:58 PM

2,947 posts, read 5,193,788 times

Advertisements

Long post...

I tried crossing into Canada in a rental car at 2 am twelve months ago, from WA state into BC. I had presented my passport in a car crossing a year earlier in another part of the border without issues. They didn't have me enter a room for further questioning.

To my shock, I was denied. I didn't honestly realize the extent of my criminal record. Yes, in 1992, I was charged with disorderly conduct, but attended to the matters of fines, counseling and probation. To this date, I'm still unsure if I MUST always answer "yes" on an application or in person at a border crossing. Well, I was told at the border crossing that the charge is also "destruction of property," which I realize sounds horrible. I had an outburst at a suburban laundromat due to mental issues and screamed, yelled, and hit and slammed things in the laundromat; I may have done slight damage to the blinds by yanking them... Frightened persons called the police.

All these years, my CORI check for taxi driving comes backs okay, but the police department won't let me see it for some reason. Thus, I thought I was clean.

The other charges, two felonies, I wasn't aware of. They were for bad checks I never took care of over ten years ago. Since I've usually ignored many debt collectors' calls and letters (yes, very immature) over the years, I thought, sure, they appeared on my credit report for seven years, but had dropped off by now. In Massachusetts, I've learned a check over $250 is a felony, and also a larceny by check. Both checks were likely $500 each. Lots of money. True, I'm really no better than robbing someone twice at knifepoint for their iphone in current times.

I entered Canada by car a year earlier, but was never detained outside the car. So again, had no idea I'd ever be a problem. I flew several times until 2000 since the disorderly conduct. I guess the airlines never could check back then. In any case, never knew that disorderly conduct could present a problem at the border. Maybe since restrictions were tightened since 9/11? Thought it was all behind me...

I hadn't flown internationally since the felonies appeared, so didn't realize I had such an extensive record; I don't think I had been to Canada by car, either, since the felonies.

They detained me in the rental car last year at 2 a.m. I was alone. After 20 minutes sitting in a waiting area, I was asked if I had ever been arrested. I said "no," figuring I didn't have to answer for the disorderly conduct in '92. The official then said since I lied to him about criminl entries on my record, he would not allow entry. He gave me some paperwork, supposedly to perhaps address these issues before re-applying. I was upset at myself, so never looked at what he actually circled or wrote down. I lost the paperwork, so have no idea if I can or should address this -- or forget about international travel for now or even forever.

I guess I need to pay off the bad checks. Of course.

I asked a local probation dept. about perhaps sealing my record., and was told even if I seal my record, customs can still open it. So, no need to seal it, I guess. I never knew why/when to seal a record, anyway.

My question: is it against the law to try to fly or drive into Canada or other foreign spots before addressing any or all of my problems? I assume my passport is now flagged, so that I can no longer just sit in the car, answer a few questions, then cross as I did a year earlier (with the same criminal record). It was daytime, and perhaps I didn't seem suspicious then. If my record is permanently flagged, I assume I'll always be questioned and denied entry -- or even arrested for trying to enter since I was already denied, but never corrected those issues before crossing again.

Must I get a lawyer, or just pay the bad checks, then answer honestly if ever asked have I ever been arrested?

Oh, my parents were born in Canada, and one set of grandparents was born there. Does this, or should this, help me in any way in future attempts to cross, once I've solved my past actions?

BTW, how do athletes with drunk driving, domestic abuse, ad other issues cross borders and play pro sports? It's all handled by their agents and lawyers?

Thanks for reading.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2013, 05:16 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,226,281 times
Read over the section pertaining to Criminal Inadmissibility
Rehabilitation for Persons Who Are Inadmissible to Canada Because of Past Criminal Activity

And yes, the teams along with the players agent/lawyer will take care of any paperwork for professional athletes, entertainers, etc ........ their process is typically pretty easy and steamlined as they are fairly well contained and will contribute a nice amount of revenue during a very short stay

Old 10-29-2013, 04:27 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
The issue of your previous denial of entry will now pop up everytime you cross the border and you'll have to explain everything all over again and probably be denied entry again.
if i were you i'd call up the border you expect to cross at and speak to an actual customs agent and ask him if you'll be admitted or what you can do to rectify the situation.

Old 10-29-2013, 09:17 AM

32,650 posts, read 48,053,996 times
That's the trouble with committing felonies. The consequences of your own bad behavior follow you for years. If both your parents were born in Canada, they might very well be Canadian citizens. If they were married at the time you were born, it is possible that you are also a Canadian citizen. You might look into that if it is important to you to get into Canada. If you have a Canadian passport, you won't be denied entry into Canada.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel