Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2014, 03:41 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,299,652 times

Advertisements

Last month, we took an 8 day trip to Puerto Vallarta, Mexico and stayed at Riu Palace. This was my first time at an all inclusive resort, and I LOVED the convenience of being able to have anything I needed to eat or drink whenever I wanted it. So nice to be able to sit down for a meal and just get up and leave when you are done; no waiting for a check! No need to carry money most of the time! Lovely resort, wonderful large rooms with a perfect ocean view.

There was one thing I didn't care for, though. It was the constant "enterainment" going on, especially poolside during the day. The announcements every hour, the silly games and dance contests, the pool volleyball. Even from the beach we couldn't escape the noise. I wanted to relax in the water, not be asked by staff to get up an participate in a belly flop contest, or to listen to the harrass guests that didn't want to join in. Half the pool was not even useable most afternoons because of the volleyball game going on, or water exercises, or whatever.

Even at the nightly show in the theater, the entertainment staff was always trying to get guests to get up and dance or otherwise participate.

I understand that many brands do something similar. My question is, how hard is it to find one that the staff "leaves you alone" so to speak? When I go lounge by the pool at Casears in Vegas, they play music, they have staff to bring drinks, but they don't "entertain" you. Are there any mid-level all inclusive brands that are more hands off?

Am I the only one who doesn't like this sort of thing?

Old 11-10-2014, 03:54 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,058,401 times
No, you're not the only one who feels that way.

I don't like 'manufactured' fun at any venue, whether it be a vacation spot, a wedding, a concert, or wherever. It has the whiff of desperation about it.

But to answer your specific question, no, I don't know enough about all-inclusives to recommend any that would minimize this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2014, 04:10 PM

14,994 posts, read 23,903,426 times
I can never understand the appeal of all-inclusive resorts. Well I do understand the simplicity and ease, but why would one travel to an exotic foreign spot only to spend time in the pursuit of belly-flop contests and volleyball with the same countrymen you see every day. You can do that at home without travel.
It's just somehow insulting to the ideals of travel.

Old 11-10-2014, 04:14 PM

919 posts, read 848,827 times
Cruise lines like Carnival and Royal Caribbean have these events as well, but there is no pressure to join. All very low key. The only inconvenience is that during the event you won't be able to use the facility (e.g. swimming pool) for an hour. But the ships are so huge that there are multiple facilities available.
The events are pretty fun, esp hairy-chest contest. Royal Caribbean Quest was an event to die for, always hilarious to watch (and participate in.) I don't know if they banned it or if it still happens. Dueling pianos at midnight, with raunchy songs, was another event that may have been banned. I will admit that these two were NOT low-key but extremely enjoyable nonetheless.
As for "manufactured fun" it's a bit nuanced. Audience participation makes it real fun, not the mindless exhortations from paid workers.... but some employees do get into it heart and soul and make it enjoyable.

Old 11-10-2014, 05:02 PM

1,624 posts, read 4,870,396 times
It's kind of funny, but I kind of have to laugh because I just stayed at a Hyatt resort and one of the complaints I heard was that it was really boring and they wished there were more on-site activities. Eight days can be kind of boring at a resort if you stay on-site the whole time and a lot of people don't like to do too many excursions because you lose the all inclusive benefits if you are go off resort. That's probably why they are having a lot of stuff and activities. Especially if it is a family resort.

I think at the larger resorts they usually have an adults only pool or quiet pool where they let the older folks vege out. Of course, my favorite place at most resorts. So look for resorts with multiple pools with no waterslides, vs. one mega sized pool for everyone.

Old 11-10-2014, 06:18 PM

10,214 posts, read 17,888,250 times
Smaller resorts tend not to do these sort of activities and entertainments. Maybe also try adult-only resorts.

I'd recommend the one I went to in Jamaica because they didn't do this stuff but according to other people who have been there more recently, it's gone downhill.

Old 11-10-2014, 08:59 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,754,968 times
I have only been to a couple, they must have been toned down because we never came across never ending events!

Old 11-11-2014, 12:13 AM

2,982 posts, read 4,102,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
I understand that many brands do something similar. My question is, how hard is it to find one that the staff "leaves you alone" so to speak? When I go lounge by the pool at Casears in Vegas, they play music, they have staff to bring drinks, but they don't "entertain" you. Are there any mid-level all inclusive brands that are more hands off?
I don't know about the rest of the Caribbean, but I have been to the Iberostar Laguna Azul and the Iberostar Tainos (both in Varadero, Cuba), and while they provided music and contests on the beach and pool, it was all voluntary and easily avoided if one was not interested in participating. Overall, both of these resorts provided a very relaxing vacation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
I can never understand the appeal of all-inclusive resorts. Well I do understand the simplicity and ease, but why would one travel to an exotic foreign spot only to spend time in the pursuit of belly-flop contests and volleyball with the same countrymen you see every day. You can do that at home without travel.
Some of us just enjoy time away from the stresses of everyday life. No cell phones, no computers, no social media, no cooking, no cleaning, no worries!

As for "travelling ideals" in exotic locations... Let's just say that a day trip to Havana on my first trip to Cuba was more than enough of that. I ended up picking up a bad stomach bug and getting sicker than I had been since childhood thanks to that excursion. As such, I'm not enthralled with the idea of visiting a third-world country and traipsing all over the countryside to see what exotic varieties of malaise I can pick up during my stay.

Last edited by Annuvin; 11-11-2014 at 12:23 AM..

Old 11-11-2014, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slim04 View Post
It's kind of funny, but I kind of have to laugh because I just stayed at a Hyatt resort and one of the complaints I heard was that it was really boring and they wished there were more on-site activities. Eight days can be kind of boring at a resort if you stay on-site the whole time and a lot of people don't like to do too many excursions because you lose the all inclusive benefits if you are go off resort. That's probably why they are having a lot of stuff and activities. Especially if it is a family resort.

I think at the larger resorts they usually have an adults only pool or quiet pool where they let the older folks vege out. Of course, my favorite place at most resorts. So look for resorts with multiple pools with no waterslides, vs. one mega sized pool for everyone.

We were originally booked to go to the Riu Palace in Cabo San Lucas, but Hurricane Odile hit, so we changed our destination last minute. The one we originally booked did have 2 pools.

Old 11-11-2014, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
We go for the following schedule:

breakfast
beach
lunch
pool/beach
nap
dinner

Repeat.

NOT to pursuit belly-flop contests and the like. That is kind of why I am asking this question to begin with. We did take one day off and rented a car and headed into town, walked the boardwalk, visited a tequilla distillery, shopped, and explored. That was enough.

At home I can't do the same thing. I can't relax and swim in the Pacific, boogie board, eat with no prep or clean-up, and just BE with no distractions of home.

A few photos of my views that week

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel