Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2012, 02:03 PM

210 posts, read 428,299 times

Advertisements

The wife and I are wanting to take a week long trip to mexico the end of this year when it starts to get cold here. From what I've see the all inclusive resorts in mexico look really nice. Plus, I think it would be nice to pay the one fee and have everything taken care of. Can anyone recommend a favorite resort? Pros/cons of all inclusive stays? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2012, 04:17 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,322,535 times
I personally dislike all-inclusives. You don't get out and mingle with the natives. If you are just going to stay put or take the "tours" that are offered by the resort, you might as well be anywhere else (warm) in the world.

My wife and I honeymooned in St. Lucia at an AI that was given to us as a wedding present. The attendant at the gate just about came out of his shoes when we walked out of the premises and headed into town a couple of miles away. We did get a taxi to return with groceries.

I like the phrase "Be a traveler, not a tourist" and I've met locals who have become dear friends over the years because we seek out the opportunities to do so.

I only know Baja Sur, but I have a friend who enjoyed the Riu in Cabo.

Old 06-02-2012, 04:43 PM

6,566 posts, read 8,406,932 times
My husband and I love the all inclusives. If you do it once, you'll want to do it for every vacation. I highly recommend the Sun Palace in Cancun. It's an adult only all inclusive. The resort also has several sister resorts in Cancun so you can take a shuttle to visit those for a day if you want a change or to try a different restaurant.

We visited Moon Palace to eat at their Brazillian steakhouse but it was too busy, noisy and too many kiddos for us to consider staying for longer than a day. Sun Palace is peaceful and relaxing but lots of fun too!

I suggest not taking the sales tour. It's not a timeshare per say but they do try to sell you 10+ weeks at one time. They will offer an incentive to take the tour and you have to travel to a different Palace resort. IMO, it's not worth the 2 hours it takes away from your vacation.

Oh, and book a Concierge Room - those rooms come with extra amenities. I cannot recommend the Sun Palace enough. My husband and I already know we will be going back next year.

Old 06-03-2012, 05:04 AM

I really appreciate the advice. My wife and I like to get out and explore so we wouldn't be on the resort grounds the entire time. What really draws me to this all inclusive is just being able to kick back and relax,not worrying about tipping and runs to the closest ATM. It seems like all the resorts offer some fun outside events and most have on site eateries plus a few offer some local hotspots that sound good. We've never been to Mexico before so what are your recommendations on what area's to look at?

Old 06-03-2012, 07:38 AM

1,726 posts, read 5,864,266 times
You'll spend a lot less just vacationing in Mexico and paying for each meal at local restaurants, than you would at an all-inclusive resort. I would recommend just going to Puerto Vallarta/Bucerias and spending the time at small local hotels. Everything is so cheap in Mexico that it's not a big deal to carry enough cash to pay for your meals, drinks, etc.

Old 06-04-2012, 08:23 AM

3,059 posts, read 8,289,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle450rider View Post
I really appreciate the advice. My wife and I like to get out and explore so we wouldn't be on the resort grounds the entire time. What really draws me to this all inclusive is just being able to kick back and relax,not worrying about tipping and runs to the closest ATM. It seems like all the resorts offer some fun outside events and most have on site eateries plus a few offer some local hotspots that sound good. We've never been to Mexico before so what are your recommendations on what area's to look at?
Actually from what I have seen, most people DO still tip - you typically leave about $2-3 at breakfast, lunch is usually buffet so not usually a tip, but dinner most people that I have observed leave from $10-$20 for fine dining in the evening. Also, regularly tip $1 off and on at the bar over the course of the day - in other words at the pool bar, about every third drink people will give $1.

Having said that, while it is really common, tipping is not "expected" at an all-inclusive. I always tip - a lot of those people are supporting extended families.

I love all inclusives - and I haven't experienced any negatives - as long as you choose a good one you'll be fine. Yes all your meals are included, but you are still free to wander off and explore/eat elsewhere. I love the convenience of the bracelet and not having to watch menu prices (or be horrified by them) and love not having to be constantly pulling out your wallet at every meal.

My recommendation would be the Grand Sirenas in Riviera Maya - nice beach with clear water with great snorkelling, good access to tours of the Mayan ruins, quick taxi or bus ride into Playa del Carmen for the day, lots of good restaurants onsite, and probably the best evening shows I have seen thus far at a resort. They have a lazy river, cooking demos, beach volleyball, water aerobics (a real blast!), an exceptional yoga teacher. The food was seriously good at all of the a la carte restaurants we went to. Highly recommended resort!

Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Hotel & Spa All-inclusive Resort Reviews and Photos, Akumal, Mexico - TripAdvisor

Hotels in Ibiza, Punta Cana, Riviera Maya, Varadero & Holguin. Sirenis Hotels & Resorts.

Unofficial site with forum
Grand Sirenis Resort Mayan Rivera

Old 06-04-2012, 09:26 AM

6,566 posts, read 8,406,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle450rider View Post
What really draws me to this all inclusive is just being able to kick back and relax,not worrying about tipping and runs to the closest ATM.
Tipping is not expected and certainly is not required but it is appreciated. My husband and I tipped every server, massuese, pedicurist and manicurist we had throughout our stay. With the exchange rate, leaving a couple of pesos for each of your servers won't break the bank.

Also, we took some cash along with us (we didn't use the ATMs) and exchanged it at the resort for pesos (you could also exchange it at the airport and get a better exchange rate).

Old 06-05-2012, 06:00 AM

I appreciate the advice. If I go I'll definately tip the bartender!

Old 06-06-2012, 10:11 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,484,270 times
You get a lot of bang for your buck tipping in MEX. A little change buys a lot of joy. It's really a fabulous opportunity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico