Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2013, 06:14 AM

162 posts, read 153,837 times

Advertisements

I am looking for help or suggestions of where I should go this holiday season. I have been to a few (5?) different states within the US but I have never traveled outside of the US before. I am 25 and I have very limited travel experience. Also, I have never traveled alone before so this would be my first time.

To be honest I don't have much interests outside of competitive gaming and I just want to relax. Perhaps somewhere where I can wake up, the weather is great, perhaps a nice beach, good drinks, and beautiful friendly women. Aside from those preferences, I was interested in Japan, Philippines and Hawaii (anyone want to fill me in on average ticket prices to these places from New York?).

If anyone has any idea or suggestions for trying out another place as well as deal information that could save me some cash that would be great. Any help and sound advice is appreciated. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2013, 06:30 AM

1,239 posts, read 2,009,298 times
Do you have a passport yet?

Old 11-09-2013, 06:38 AM

No lol, but I can work on getting one asap. If I go for one now what time do you think I'll get it?

Old 11-09-2013, 06:46 AM

4,489 posts, read 10,946,208 times
How long are you looking to go, and what is your budget?

Apply for a passport ASAP. It's good for 10 years, and according to the passport website wait times are currently about a month. If you want to go somewhere over Christmas, you'd better hurry.

Processing Times

Old 11-09-2013, 07:01 AM

I have no idea how long I want to stay at the place. My guess is a few days. Like 3 or 4? I prefer to pay $1200 or less for a plane ticket. That will leave me with tons of cash to do things. I am not looking to pay more than $1500 for a plane ticket because I want to have more than enough to spend. If that crosses out a few places, please suggest some new ones (my very first choice is Japan though).

Thanks for the website. Funny, as of today it only takes 4 weeks. So I need to act fast. Do you know when that will end?

Old 11-09-2013, 07:34 AM

4,489 posts, read 10,946,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovebird- View Post
I have no idea how long I want to stay at the place. My guess is a few days. Like 3 or 4? I prefer to pay $1200 or less for a plane ticket. That will leave me with tons of cash to do things. I am not looking to pay more than $1500 for a plane ticket because I want to have more than enough to spend. If that crosses out a few places, please suggest some new ones (my very first choice is Japan though).

Thanks for the website. Funny, as of today it only takes 4 weeks. So I need to act fast. Do you know when that will end?
It is based on how many applications they receive. Apply today. There is no sense in putting it off.

Japan is tight on that budget. Tickets are right around $1200. In my opinion it is not worth going for 3-4 days (with the time change/jet lag, you will want to be there significantly longer to actually get anything out of it). Same with Hawaii and the Philippines. Those are minimum 1 week trips in my opinion. All of them are at least 12 travel time from New York (up to 20+!), so you're spending 2 full days just traveling.

Go to kayak.com and type in the dates you're looking at. It is really late to be booking Christmas tickets--for such peak travel times, people generally book 3+ months out. You are going to be paying a premium.

For such a short trip, and just wanting nice beaches, why not look at the carribean or central america? You mention wanting a beach/good weather and good drinks--any interest in a resort somewhere where you have all your meals/drinks/activities included? They have adult only ones all over that might fit the bill.

Save the more exotic locations for when you have at least a week or two to really enjoy it. We did a week on the big island of Hawaii this summer (and have previously done a week on Maui and Oahu) and barely scratched the surface of all that we wanted to do. Japan is on my to-do list, but not until I can spend a solid 2 weeks in Asia.

Old 11-09-2013, 08:20 AM

43,663 posts, read 44,393,687 times
I would add Israel (in particular Tel Aviv which fits the things that you are looking for and perhaps Eilat on the Red Sea) to your list of potential destinations although I think you should go there for at least a week if not two.

Old 11-09-2013, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
It is based on how many applications they receive. Apply today. There is no sense in putting it off.

Japan is tight on that budget. Tickets are right around $1200. In my opinion it is not worth going for 3-4 days (with the time change/jet lag, you will want to be there significantly longer to actually get anything out of it). Same with Hawaii and the Philippines. Those are minimum 1 week trips in my opinion. All of them are at least 12 travel time from New York (up to 20+!), so you're spending 2 full days just traveling.

Go to kayak.com and type in the dates you're looking at. It is really late to be booking Christmas tickets--for such peak travel times, people generally book 3+ months out. You are going to be paying a premium.

For such a short trip, and just wanting nice beaches, why not look at the carribean or central america? You mention wanting a beach/good weather and good drinks--any interest in a resort somewhere where you have all your meals/drinks/activities included? They have adult only ones all over that might fit the bill.

Save the more exotic locations for when you have at least a week or two to really enjoy it. We did a week on the big island of Hawaii this summer (and have previously done a week on Maui and Oahu) and barely scratched the surface of all that we wanted to do. Japan is on my to-do list, but not until I can spend a solid 2 weeks in Asia.
Thanks for this post. Now that you mention it, 3-4 days is kind of short. Is it possible that I can spend a week somewhere else on that budget since it's not really efficient for the three destinations that I listed (can't find any deals on these places?)? If not, I'll stick to the original idea of 3-4 days.

I am also definitely interested in a resort somewhere in which all of my meals, drinks and activities will be included. Something like that is exactly what I'm looking for. Not having to be worried about those things and have everything already paid for sounds PERFECT for me.

As I mentioned before, I am a blank slate so the Carribbean or Central America are both fine. Any ideas where in the Caribbean or Central America?

P.S. I am a black guy and I have not been treated the same everywhere I've been. Therefore, while it may not influence your suggestions or advice on where to travel, I'm putting it out there just in case.

Old 11-09-2013, 12:33 PM

7,778 posts, read 10,162,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovebird- View Post

Processing time can go up to 6-8 weeks, probably in the early spring ahead of the summer travel period.

Japan won't have great weather this time of year. At least not great weather when you're talking about beaches and such...if you're seeking winter sports thats a different story. Also definitely agree that anything less than a week isnt worth it crossing more than 5 or 6 time zones.

Being black in Asia will make you stand out big time, so you'll just have to be ok with the extra unwarranted attention, but other than that as a tourist I wouldn't expect you to suffer any discrimination. Living and working there would be a different story.

I'm not sure how your disposition is being an inexperienced traveler in general and total novice going overseas. If you want to get out of the winter weather you could go to Southeast Asia or Hong Kong and Taiwan, or anywhere in the southern hemisphere. But personally given your situation I'd stay much closer to home and hit Mexico or the Caribbean. These destinations also have tons of all-inclusive resorts. Check out livingsocial and groupon for deals. And I'd expect your flights to be well under $1000. Also, if you go to Puerto Rico or the USVI then no passport required!

Note: While I've traveled very extensively throughout North America, Asia and Europe, I've never been to South America, Caribbean, Africa or Australia/New Zealand.

Old 11-09-2013, 03:12 PM

I hate the cold weather so I am definitely not looking into anything involving winter sports or snow. Okay! It seems like the general advice is to hit the Caribbean and/or Central America. Can anyone recommend a good resort in either of those locations where all of my stuff is paid for and has what I am looking for above? or perhaps a list or a guide containing the food, activities and scenery, so I can pick where I want to go from these places?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel