Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2013, 07:08 PM

3 posts, read 4,869 times

Advertisements

I am planning a road trip from Boston to San Diego for Summer of 2014. What would be the must sees or what is the best route?? I will be leaving end of June and there is no time constraints.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2013, 07:51 PM

34,199 posts, read 83,379,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicole919191 View Post
What would be the the best (summer) route??
In summer... take the north route (I-80, I-90 etc) west; then south along the coast.

Quote:
What would be the must sees...??
The ones you stumble across on your own by accident.
The famous ones will announce themselves with plenty of time to swing by.

Old 11-12-2013, 06:22 AM

13,417 posts, read 28,825,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
In summer... take the north route (I-80, I-90 etc) west; then south along the coast.

The ones you stumble across on your own by accident.
The famous ones will announce themselves with plenty of time to swing by.
What he said

Old 11-12-2013, 11:41 AM

2,533 posts, read 4,616,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
This. ^

I moved from Savannah to Seattle in May 2011 and this is the route I took...

From South Dakota onward was some of the best scenery I'd ever seen in my life... and Mt. Rushmore was pretty darn cool.

There's plenty of scenery in Washington and I made my first trip down to Oregon this summer to see the Oregon coast, Columbia River Gorge, and Mt. Hood.

The PNW is gorgeous... definitely plan your travel accordingly

Old 11-12-2013, 11:55 AM

3,440 posts, read 6,571,931 times
Those pictures are outstanding and I can see why you recommend this route. Just a thought but if you plan a more southerly route you might get to see the Grandcanyon. It is awesome!!

Old 11-12-2013, 02:05 PM

814 posts, read 1,154,586 times
No time constraints? The best advice I can give you is to avoid Interstates at all costs and let serendipity do its thing.

Last edited by that412; 11-12-2013 at 02:27 PM..

Old 11-12-2013, 03:13 PM

2,754 posts, read 7,447,941 times
Quote:
I am planning a road trip from Boston to San Diego for Summer of 2014. What would be the must sees or what is the best route?? I will be leaving end of June and there is no time constraints.
Must see me, NARF

Old 11-14-2013, 02:18 PM

582 posts, read 1,122,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kees View Post
This. ^

I moved from Savannah to Seattle in May 2011 and this is the route I took...

From South Dakota onward was some of the best scenery I'd ever seen in my life... and Mt. Rushmore was pretty darn cool.

There's plenty of scenery in Washington and I made my first trip down to Oregon this summer to see the Oregon coast, Columbia River Gorge, and Mt. Hood.

The PNW is gorgeous... definitely plan your travel accordingly
Those type of pictures are precisely the reason I absolutely loooove road trips. You can't get those kind of views from an airplane, and if you're on a train you can't stop and smell the roses and fresh air at your leisure. Long live road trips !!

Gorgeous pictures, by the way .

Old 11-14-2013, 03:53 PM

2,483 posts, read 4,386,831 times
Quote:
I will be leaving end of June and there is no time constraints.
No time constraints? <<envy>>

Take the freeways as needed, but also take state highways or even smaller roads whenever yo can. If I were you, I'd book it pretty much nonstop to I-25 in CO and then spend about a month for the rest of the trip from there to SD. Consider taking Hwy 50 from Pueblo to Montrose and then south from there through Ouray and Over the Million Dollar Highway. From Durango make your way west throughout he 4 corners area and see all you can of Southern Utah and Norther Arizona. The Grand Canyon is of course a must-see but there are plenty of other lesser known areas in that region worthy of at least as much time.

Old 11-15-2013, 09:57 AM

6,421 posts, read 11,634,702 times
If you go through Chicago, that may be worth a stop. I highly recommend the architectural boat tour. And some of the local cuisine (Italian beef sandwich, Chicago-style hot dog, deep-dish pizza).

The rest of Illinois, Iowa/Missouri, Nebraska/Kansas (depending on your route) is likely to be very boring. There may be some individual things worth seeing, but I'm not aware of any. So I agree with otterprods to expect to spend most of your time in Colorado and west of there. The highway westward out of Denver is fabulous.

In Utah, you'd need to decide whether to use I-80 and see the Wasatch and Salt Lake (prettiest and ugliest places in the USA, respectively) or else go the southern way through the 'rock' parks (Arches, Bryce, Zion et al).

The highway southward from there towards Las Vegas is surprisingly scenic. It's the same river valley as Zion, and while not quite as spectacular is still quite pretty. Then there's Vegas itself, which is probably worth seeing at least once - preferably after dark because the glitz shows up better. Near Vegas is Red Rocks State Park, which I've never been to but looks like it might be worth a visit. South of Vegas is Hoover Dam, if that interests you.

South from Vegas will again be boring, pretty much whatever route you take. And it will be desert, and hot. Make sure your vehicle is super-road-worthy and carry loads of water. Consider driving it at night to avoid the heat. You could go due south through Lake Havasu City down to Yuma and then across to San Diego. That would probably be more interesting, but significantly slower. Or you could go southwest on I-15, which might or might not be faster because ...

... at Barstow you get to decide whether to stay on I-15 (faster but boring) or head south on highway 18 towards the Big Bear area (slower but far more scenic). If you head toward Big Bear, don't do that stretch at night because it'll be more demanding to drive in the mountains and you'd miss out on the scenery.

From Big Bear, you might be tempted to drive west on Highway 2 (aka Angel Crest Highway). It's a gorgeous drive. But it means you'd then have to drive through Los Angeles (lots of traffic 24/7, and don't even bother to do it during rush hours) to get to San Diego. Once you're south of LA and Orange County, though, you're driving along the coast, so that may be a good enough reward for tolerating LA traffic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel