Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2013, 03:41 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,368,760 times

Advertisements

Off season is awesome at the beach, just a few choice places open for food, cold, windy, wild ocean...perfect for walks, bundled up. We often went off season to Cape Cod, and loved it! Quaint bed and breakfasts for 75% of full season prices!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2013, 08:11 AM

22,632 posts, read 14,945,990 times
No one mentioned people watching.

Anyone into watching people on the beach in their skimpy bathing suits? Even gross people who should not be wearing skimpy bathing attire are sometimes fun to look at. On the other hand sexy attractive sun worshippers wearing almost nothing ... that's another story. Will anyone out there admit to this aspect of beach going? I will!

Old 12-24-2013, 08:39 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Off season is awesome at the beach, just a few choice places open for food, cold, windy, wild ocean...perfect for walks, bundled up. We often went off season to Cape Cod, and loved it! Quaint bed and breakfasts for 75% of full season prices!

It's the only time I can afford the cape!

Old 12-24-2013, 06:23 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,804,861 times
Yeah I guess they enjoy vegging out someplace nice, and a beach is a place where you can kick back, play in the water a bit, just laze around, drink cocktails or whatever. Of course a lot of people who go on 'beach vacations' do other things, and especially if you have kids it's fun doing water activities. I grew up a few miles from the beach and have been to countless beaches, some of the most beautiful in the world, so they're not a novelty per se, but I do enjoy them, I like the ocean, hearing the waves.etc is relaxing. I enjoy snorkelling and would like to try scuba-diving (well I did try it once in shallow water) though I'm still a bit afraid lol.

But no, I would never pay good money to just lie on the beach. I'm hungry to see and experience the culture and other landscapes as well. The good thing about a lot of places in South-East Asia is there's a lot of culture (albeit touristified at times) and lots of cheap, yummy food (albeit some beach resorts are tourist traps).

Old 12-24-2013, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
We love the water but as far as sitting on the beach hour after hour that's too boring. One of the best beaches we ever visited was in Gorda. You have to go through a small opening in a huge bolder, navigate little caves and crawl and climb your way to the beach. It was awesome. The feral friendly cats were fun to play with and feed too. Swimming with the dolphins and hearing whales sing snorkeling in Puerto Villarta was awesome. So was helping a huge turtle with a missing foot dig her nest. There's the long walks after dinner with your feet in the water on steamy nights. When we were in Cozumel we would meet our traveling companions for a night swim in the ocean in this small well lit cove. It was fun having drinks on the beach and watching the lights from the night divers flicker by. John and I were in Australia walking the beach late at night under the milky way. It was soo hot we decided to take our clothes off. We hadn't seen a soul for quite awhile until we decided to go as nature intended. Pretty soon there was a group of people in front of us and a group of people behind us. We ran up to the pathway in the trees to put our clothes on and ran smack into another group of people. We had to jump off the path where there was a small over hang to hide. We could hear them laughing as we put our clothes on. We eventually found a private spot to do what we really had intended to do under the milky way that night. It was magic. I could bore you for hours with beach stories. There are so many happy memories about so many beaches. I wish I was on one now.
That's a convenient excuse . Sure you didn't want to live out your fantasy of making love on the dunes under the moonlight? I mean there's nothing wrong with that, lol just joking.

Old 12-25-2013, 12:40 AM

23,223 posts, read 29,051,044 times
I've made a few abortive attempts at enjoying beach vacations but they're just not for me! But I'm praying and hoping, some day, I can be one of them! It takes a gargantuan effort for me to relax and sit still!

I'm a mountain stream type of person! And not a lake person either!

Old 12-25-2013, 04:37 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,027,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterprods View Post
It's not about the beach to me, it's about the water.
This is a big part of it for me, too. Some people are drawn to the sea. It's almost a physical need.
I love water activities, boating, swimming etc. It's fun watching dolphins, sea turtles, shore birds, sharks and everything else you run into around here.

I grew up on both coasts, then at 14 my family moved us to Colorado.
There isn't even all that much fresh water in that land-locked state. I always missed Mother Ocean.
The mountains were majestic, and a nice place to cool off during the summer, but they never did for me what the ocean does. Every vacation I took, whether domestic or international, involved the coast.

Now I am in north Florida, a 5 minute drive or 20 minute stroll from the shore, which includes a state park with hiking trails. I walk the beach 12 months a year, and swim during the summer/fall. I love it.

Old 12-26-2013, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
No one mentioned people watching.

Anyone into watching people on the beach in their skimpy bathing suits? Even gross people who should not be wearing skimpy bathing attire are sometimes fun to look at. On the other hand sexy attractive sun worshippers wearing almost nothing ... that's another story. Will anyone out there admit to this aspect of beach going? I will!
I'm sure many do. Heck many guys like to check out girls in bikinis, I mean it's basically like they're in their underwear right? Crowded nude/clothing optional beaches are too much though, I had a few incidents of men perving on me and one actually making an indecent proposal to me: a middle aged man asked if I wanted to 'go behind the dunes and have some fun'...

Old 12-26-2013, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
This is a big part of it for me, too. Some people are drawn to the sea. It's almost a physical need.
I love water activities, boating, swimming etc. It's fun watching dolphins, sea turtles, shore birds, sharks and everything else you run into around here.

I grew up on both coasts, then at 14 my family moved us to Colorado.
There isn't even all that much fresh water in that land-locked state. I always missed Mother Ocean.
The mountains were majestic, and a nice place to cool off during the summer, but they never did for me what the ocean does. Every vacation I took, whether domestic or international, involved the coast.

Now I am in north Florida, a 5 minute drive or 20 minute stroll from the shore, which includes a state park with hiking trails. I walk the beach 12 months a year, and swim during the summer/fall. I love it.
I enjoy the ocean too, although I have a healthy respect/fear of it. I'm not a strong swimmer, but I do enjoy watersports.

Old 12-26-2013, 04:57 AM

3,440 posts, read 6,549,100 times
What I wouldn't give for a few days on a warm beach right now. We are in our 5th consecutive day of ICE. On trees on everything with 3 to 5 inches of new snow expected later today. It gets frustrating but so glad we didn't lose power as thousands have and many will not get it back for another few days. Many spend Christmas in shelters that had been set up to keep people warm. A beach day sounds great but will have to wait at least 5 months locally or "perhaps" plan a trip away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel