Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2014, 10:10 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,127,435 times

Advertisements

What has been your experience with spending the nights at truck stops rather than a hotel? Especially in small towns / freeway intersections?

With the price of hotel rooms having risen rapidly, I'm sure this option is chosen by at least some domestic road-trippers looking to economize, especially those traveling solo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2014, 10:28 PM

4,168 posts, read 4,881,444 times
If you do your homework then you can plan your overnight stops and book hotel/motel rooms online in advance at sometimes substantially reduced rates. Most truck stops are very noisy places 24/7 with trucks coming and going at all hours so in addition to sleeping in an uncomfortable car seat not designed for such purpose, you have to deal with the constant noise and I would never get any restful sleep under such conditions. You also increase your exposure to becoming a victim of criminal activity in less than desirable surroundings. You could probably find safe places to park and take a short nap to refresh yourself for the next leg of the trip, but I'd never sleep a full night in a car unless I had no other choice. How much is your life worth for being too frugal?

Old 04-11-2014, 10:34 PM

7,487 posts, read 8,005,092 times
Many times I have pulled into a truck stop to take a nap. Most of the time it is only 20 minutes or so. Once in a while I might nap for a couple hours. I have never felt unsafe doing this. As to spending the entire night sleeping in my car, I have never done that. When I am ready to call it a day I prefer to sleep in a real bed.

Old 04-11-2014, 11:33 PM

3,631 posts, read 7,673,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
What has been your experience with spending the nights at truck stops rather than a hotel? Especially in small towns / freeway intersections?

With the price of hotel rooms having risen rapidly, I'm sure this option is chosen by at least some domestic road-trippers looking to economize, especially those traveling solo.
I've slept in my SUV at rest parks and truck stops several times. I've never slept all night but I've never intended to either.
Never felt too horribly unsafe (and I'm a woman) but I always travel with at least one of my dogs on long trips.
I've never done this as a cost saving measure but more as a time saving measure because I tend to drive straight through as much as possible rather than plan 10 hr days or whatever. I leave my key in the ignition so I could pull out in a hurry if needed and sleep in the drivers seat. I've actually found motel parking lots to be a lot quieter and I've never been hassled by management plus it just seems a little safer to me.

If you are a guy I wouldn't particularly worry at all.

Old 04-12-2014, 12:07 AM

44,632 posts, read 61,629,357 times
Sleeping at Truck Stops in a Car: What has been your experience?
Noisy, dangerous, and people constantly knocking on your window, you know those crazy women. Sometimes guys too.
I'd rather sleep in a Walmarts parking lot than a truck stop.

Old 04-12-2014, 06:23 AM

43,668 posts, read 44,406,521 times
I have never done it but I know a man who has and he has slept soundly without issue at truck stops in the Northeast.

Old 04-12-2014, 08:01 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,188,168 times
I've done it a number of times when inclement weather forced road closures here in the Rocky Mountain area ... in UT, CO, WY, and NE. All the motels in the areas were full and the only remaining places to park were in the truck stops. Uncomfortable and noisy, but no other problems except for the boredom waiting for the roads to be reopened.

Old 04-12-2014, 08:10 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,935,956 times
I usually do it when I stop to take a quick nap. Never had anyone bother me.

Old 04-12-2014, 09:03 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,111,286 times
Quote:

What small town hotel prices have risen rapidly?

Old 04-12-2014, 09:24 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:

Kind of loud but otherwise fine.

As far as safety -- pulling over and getting some sleep is a WHOLE lot safer than driving when tired.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel