Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2014, 07:04 AM

1,403 posts, read 2,516,862 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
My wife loves the good manners she experiences in America. From the young men she gets m'am this, and m'am that........ until someone told her this is how 'older' ladies are spoken to!!
So I'm originally from Pittsburgh, PA in the northeast. Since living in the South, I'm starting to act like a southern person and one thing being is saying "yes/no sir/ma'am," whether on the phone or in person. And it doesn't matter the age too. Many people do it here to be polite.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2014, 07:46 AM

9,375 posts, read 15,051,511 times
Agree- it's not to do with age. In Texas, I've girls of 14 being Ma'med. Up here, you're a "miss" until you're about 72!!! Strange.

Old 04-28-2014, 07:59 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,478,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAinSC View Post
So I'm originally from Pittsburgh, PA in the northeast. Since living in the South, I'm starting to act like a southern person and one thing being is saying "yes/no sir/ma'am," whether on the phone or in person. And it doesn't matter the age too. Many people do it here to be polite.
I've just told her...... "you're not always being called m'am because of your age kitten. Some people on this thread say it's just good manners."

I hate being called sir in America. It's not a term used much here in England. Makes me feel old......

Old 04-28-2014, 08:21 AM

13,495 posts, read 18,293,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAinSC View Post
Really????

When we were visiting Hawaii, we came across many Asian tourists who were rude, but it was mainly on Oahu. One huge example is when we were paying our respects at Pearl Harbor and there were a group of Asians laughing and joking on the Arizona memorial. The same thing happened while they were showing a film strip about the attacks that day. I was furious.
Japanese tourists don't have a monopoly on this kind of inappropriate behaviour it seems.

History News Network | Reflections on Rude Behavior at Memorial Museums

Old 04-28-2014, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
I've just told her...... "you're not always being called m'am because of your age kitten. Some people on this thread say it's just good manners."

I hate being called sir in America. It's not a term used much here in England. Makes me feel old......
Oh don't feel bad when you are called sir, especially in the South. You can also tell by the way someone pronounces that word if they are doing it to be polite or stern. Like someone else mentioned, children here call adults ma'am and sir just to be respectful. I even get called ma'am and I'm in my 20s

Old 04-28-2014, 12:01 PM

762 posts, read 861,374 times
And why is it that Asians can never snap a photo without someone posing in it? I have been cursed at several times for walking down a busy sidewalk while they are taking a photo. I think they expect all foot traffic to stop for them.

And also never in the next 100 years will you get Germans to stop laughing at any type of Holocaust memorial. They still think it was a big joke........

Old 04-28-2014, 12:09 PM

26,272 posts, read 8,478,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRlaura View Post

And also never in the next 100 years will you get Germans to stop laughing at any type of Holocaust memorial. They still think it was a big joke........
May be they're laughing in embarrassment and shame. Sometimes people react like that in certain circumstances.

Old 04-28-2014, 02:04 PM

I've heard many Germans are ashamed about the Holocaust. However, it could be like the Japanese with Pearl Harbor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel