Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2014, 10:38 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
Actually, no....it could be a cheaper and faster option depending on what he needs and when he goes. No motel bills, no car fuel bill, you don't have to drive and it takes a day less than driving. Last I heard, Seattle had public transportation and car rentals. He's from Chicago and can figure it out.
You don't know how long he plans to stay, or whether he will be accompanied by another passengers. I just entered a random date in May and Amtrak quoted me $174, one way, sitting up in s seat all the way, 48 hours, The OP plans to make it driving in 60 hours, not a huge difference, and he gets to lie down and sleep in a bed at night, much much cheaper than buying a sleeper from Amtrak, which would be $638 for a bunk bed. For seven days in Seattle, the cheapest car rental I can find is for a week is $255. Rough figures, about $1500 for the train, place to lie down, and a car. If his wife is going along, make it $2800. Twelve hours faster each way.

Driving, let's say 150 gallons for the 4,000 mile RT, $600, two nights in motel each way, $300. Total $900, no matter how many people, stay as long as you want. But spend an extra 24 hours travel time for the round trip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2014, 09:09 AM

2,483 posts, read 4,373,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest61021 View Post
Take the Amtrak from chicago ( Empire builder) to Seattle, about $130 one way. Amtrak states it's about 47 hours.
Good luck booking your actual dates at that rate. Even if you do, good luck sitting up in a seat for 47 hours.

Old 04-30-2014, 10:55 AM

4 posts, read 5,857 times
Thanks for the suggestions. The reason I am driving is because I have a large dog. Dogs are not allowed on Amtrak or Greyhound. I lived in Chicago for a couple years, but I am moving back home to Seattle. (and by the way, public transportation in Seattle sucks) I have done the trip a couple times already, once when I drove my car out, but I didn't have a dog then. I thought I needed to find dog-friendly hotels or motels ahead of time, but I have learned that all Motel 6 (for one) take dogs, so it may not be as difficult as I imagined. I do have a friend along to help drive :-)

Old 04-30-2014, 10:57 AM

2,331 posts, read 3,214,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterprods View Post
Good luck booking your actual dates at that rate. Even if you do, good luck sitting up in a seat for 47 hours.
Empire builder seats recline.

Old 04-30-2014, 11:51 AM

16,090 posts, read 10,753,057 times
I had to drive cross country with an elderly cat and stayed at a Days Inn so that might be another option.

Old 04-30-2014, 12:10 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,748,538 times
When you see what gas is going to cost this summer you may want to ditch the dog and take the train.

Old 04-30-2014, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
When you see what gas is going to cost this summer you may want to ditch the dog and take the train.
Anyone remember Ricardo Montavon and Tatu?? "Boss, da train, da train"!! Agreed, let Amtrak do the driving. Oh, and as a coincidence Amtrak IS considering a pet ride program, as I saw this On MSN I think.

Old 05-01-2014, 08:35 AM

2,483 posts, read 4,373,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest61021 View Post
Empire builder seats recline.
Oh I see. In that case 48 hours on a train should be super comfy, especially if you bring jammies.

Old 05-04-2014, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterprods View Post
Oh I see. In that case 48 hours on a train should be super comfy, especially if you bring jammies.
ARE you not tough enough to deal with a little inconvenience for a couple days? Think of all the great pics you could take of things you see as you look out the window? Read, sleep, listen to music, plenty comfy IF you suck it up a little.

Old 05-06-2014, 10:01 PM

755 posts, read 1,119,150 times
Quote:
If you're doing it in three days (two nights), it doesn't matter. Every decent sized town off the Interstate will have plenty of hotels, they all have vacancies. Check in, order a pizza, go to sleep, get up in the morning, fill a thermos with coffee, and dig in for another 700-mile day.

You're lucky there are now things like GPS, Cellphones, and Holtwire. It used to be an impossible drive, except for the foolhardy.
Lifelong Montanan, born in ND, family in Chicago and have made the drive from MT to Seattle as well. I'm sorry, I have to differ with ALL of this. It was never an impossible drive, but yes, it is a tough trip and it has always been one where a reasonable person had better plan his/her stops in advance, like you're trying to do.

It is still a drive where you will find spots without cell service. It is a drive where a "decent sized town" might be another hour or three down the road. It's a drive that passes through western North Dakota and Eastern Montana where every hotel is booked with oil workers, so just pulling off the road and expecting to find an available room might not be the best plan.

I think you're wise to plan in advance, knowing your tolerance for hours on the road, which I can't guess at, and make some hotel reservations in advance. The one thing I do agree with is that there are hotels available in any decent sized town on the interstate, but vacancies are not guaranteed, especially pet-friendly vacancies.

My husband took the Amtrak from Montana to Chicago last summer. Lots of oil workers; a pretty crowded trip. And no, you won't get a place to sleep for that $130 fare quoted above. Moot point with your dog...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel