Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2014, 05:43 AM

703 posts, read 870,486 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaylahc View Post
Hitting them would only succeed in making them cry harder, and there is no place on an airplane to remove a child to get them to calm down. All a parent can do is try.
Exactly. no hitting! (Spank)

Old 06-20-2014, 06:13 AM

2,441 posts, read 2,607,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
You aren't able to amuse your children without electronic babysitters? My point is made.
Oh, I can amuse them all right. But we're going to be talking, and we're going to be moving, and you're going to haaaaaate it. Even more when I start in on the forty ninth rendition of Old MacDonald and we're still only nine hours into the flight. And when I discipline them for throwing their drink on you and they spend the whole four minutes of the time out screaming about the injustice. And when they get annoyed because sibling used all the orange beads for their necklace. Ooh, and my favourite, the poor loser in a game of cards. So fun! So loud! And the exercise breaks as we tour the cabin, of course, because those legs are going to be moving one way or the other, and it's either into the back of your seat or around the cabin.

But, as I said, people who criticise kids for being normal kids and then criticise the parents for using electronics to try and force unnatural stillness out of them for a flight have shown themselves to be both undeserving of consideration and unable to recognise it when they're receiving it.

This one time I got a dirty look for running my kids before we boarded. Some people are just irredeemably dumb.

Old 06-20-2014, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildColonialGirl View Post
Oh, I can amuse them all right. But we're going to be talking, and we're going to be moving, and you're going to haaaaaate it. Even more when I start in on the forty ninth rendition of Old MacDonald and we're still only nine hours into the flight. And when I discipline them for throwing their drink on you and they spend the whole four minutes of the time out screaming about the injustice. And when they get annoyed because sibling used all the orange beads for their necklace. Ooh, and my favourite, the poor loser in a game of cards. So fun! So loud! And the exercise breaks as we tour the cabin, of course, because those legs are going to be moving one way or the other, and it's either into the back of your seat or around the cabin.

But, as I said, people who criticise kids for being normal kids and then criticise the parents for using electronics to try and force unnatural stillness out of them for a flight have shown themselves to be both undeserving of consideration and unable to recognise it when they're receiving it.

This one time I got a dirty look for running my kids before we boarded. Some people are just irredeemably dumb.
or politically correct, and believe in 21st century morals.

Old 06-20-2014, 06:28 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,033,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Ummm actually I do think it was quite serious
I read it as quite serious as well. Talk about cows.

Old 06-20-2014, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewimaech235 View Post
It depends, so if they were correctly raised, then that should be the case. Just remember that there are the kids out there with mental illnesses, and it's a bigger challenge to control them.
If my child was developmentally delayed, I would either avoid flying until they were able to not bother others, or if I had to fly due to an emergency type situation, I would at the beginning of the flight give a note to those around me explaining the situation and apologizing in advance, and offer them all ear plugs like these parents did: Kudos for thoughtful fliers with babies - CNN.com

Old 06-20-2014, 06:31 AM

Quote:
I Talk about cows.
What do you mean?

Old 06-20-2014, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moorhen3 View Post
"people create drama" can also be applied to people who create drama in their minds when hearing a little one crying or talking too loud. Also, "by making various choices" it is a choice someone makes to be bothered by a crying child. Then, "expecting others to fix the problems" can be applied to the person who is bothered to expect the parent/guardian to fix the problem of a crying, loud talking, etc. child even though the parent is doing what they can (with very limited space, limited options) to quiet the child. "they create with those choices", everyone has choices, someone's choice to have no children, have one child, or have four (as in my case) is thankfully not up to anyone but oneself.

Many posts lament the lack of parenting. Unfortunately no one stranger can do anything about it except be an example of kindness to that parent and then, well, just let it go.
You are a prime example of the problem. Your kids can do no wrong, and the rest of the world needs to deal with it.

Old 06-20-2014, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliss2 View Post
Genuine question here. We are moving next month and are flying five hours. I have a 4 yo (as well as a peaceful 1.5 yo). Should I print him a T-shirt that says "I'm autistic, please be patient with me"? I wonder if people would be less likely to mumble at me for not drugging my little brat. I do plan on doing it anyways with his name/info as he can't answer questions if he wanders...
Be proactive in advance. Work on social stories starting NOW to allow him to understand the entire process. And use this method for those around you:

Kudos for thoughtful fliers with babies - CNN.com

Old 06-20-2014, 06:35 AM

Quote:
You are a prime example of the problem. Your kids can do no wrong, and the rest of the world needs to deal with it.
It is true that some people just like stirring the pot lol, but the kids don't help.

Old 06-20-2014, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
I agree, but if the parent(s) were really trying, I would be more sympathetic. Generally what I run into is one mother with 2-3 little ones and no other help, or a situation where the guy puts on big headphones and doesn't lift a finger while the kids squak. No real good reason for them to be on the plane to begin with, with rare exception. We drove halfway across the country in the back of a station wagon when we were that age (MA to FL) when we had to do it (and no, our parents didn't take us to restaurants either until we were older).

I'm more than sympathetic when parents are actually trying. But when they are checked out while the kids are disturbing everyone around them, the whole lot should be banned from flying again until the kids are double digits at least.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel