Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2014, 11:20 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanayah View Post
That's a good idea. My mom is a community college professor who loves her work and gets summers off with pay. While my dad owns a small business; he works 6-7 days a week while barely making ends meet.

I have always wanted to live in San Francisco, getting my Masters in Biology at San Francisco State could be in the cards for me.

I know biology isn't the most lucrative field of study, but it's always been where my interests lie. Many of my friends went into high tech down in the Silicon Valley but I'd feel like a sell out if I took that route too.
Another option might be a terminal degree and landing a job as a visiting professor at a European University. With the masters you should be able to find a job teaching at an American school in Europe--they are in most major cities. You'd have plenty of time off in the summer to travel. Might be a terrific option for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2014, 01:45 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,391,147 times
If you decide to go for a medical or dental degree, the US is the place to be. Most countries in Europe have evil communist systems and don't pay medical professionals well at all.

Old 06-26-2014, 02:46 PM

4,491 posts, read 6,344,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
A BS in biology will get you a job doing what? Not a whole lot that will pay the bills these days.

Stay in CA, get your masters, figure out what you want to be when you grow up, make a five year plan, and if moving to Europe can fit into it--allowing you the income to live a comfortable lifestyle, go for it.
That's the thing basically. Nobody just gets a Bachelor's here. Google the Bologna Process. Employers usually require you to have a Master's degree.

You could also apply for Uni in Ireland/England or some other country in Europe. Would save you some money.

Old 06-26-2014, 03:14 PM

28 posts, read 32,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandalorian View Post
If you decide to go for a medical or dental degree, the US is the place to be. Most countries in Europe have evil communist systems and don't pay medical professionals well at all.
Thanks, but no thanks. I am not following the medical trajectory. The only medical type of work I would consider is biotechnology or pharmaceutical sales.

I am into environmental biology, sustainability, ecology, oil extraction, geology, hydrology, hazardous waste, etc.

I really like California. But I desire the freedom to travel back and forth between here and Europe. I need some type of international business. Waiting for that Eureka moment.

Old 07-03-2014, 01:31 PM

3,888 posts, read 4,542,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanayah View Post
Thanks, but no thanks. I am not following the medical trajectory. The only medical type of work I would consider is biotechnology or pharmaceutical sales.

I am into environmental biology, sustainability, ecology, oil extraction, geology, hydrology, hazardous waste, etc.

I really like California. But I desire the freedom to travel back and forth between here and Europe. I need some type of international business. Waiting for that Eureka moment.
Not an expert on degrees, but your interests reminded me of my son's friend who recently got a job in Houston as a chemical engineer in the oil industry making 6 figures a year. I have an aunt who lives there who's been a chem engineer for years and she makes a boatload!

Houston's not "pretty", and it's as hot as heck, but the living is cheap and you could sock away quite a bit for a travel budget, or to start up a business in the future.

Just a thought.
Good luck!

Old 07-03-2014, 03:42 PM

27 posts, read 33,654 times
I'm a medical technologist ( I work in a hospital lab testing blood and other body fluids; etc). I also have a biology degree (and one year of hospital training). I lived in Spain for 3 months to attend language school. My mother is from Norway and I have traveled all over Europe. My cousin in Norway does the same thing I do (they call it biotechnologist over there), but I don't speak Norwegian fluently. I would love to spend a year or so in England, but I think I would need something additional to work there as far as my work goes. I am in the same boat; thinking of something to do so I can go back and forth. My ex boyfriend used to call me Eurosnob because I just love it over there! Anyways, good luck!

Old 07-04-2014, 03:49 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,873,729 times
Europe is more densely populated than Calofornia, it is an Ellenbogengesellschaft (passive-agressive society), so the polar opposite of your state of grinning surfers. You're in for a culture schock-and not a pleasant one. Just my "2 cents".

Old 07-04-2014, 08:05 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
Europe is more densely populated than Calofornia, it is an Ellenbogengesellschaft (passive-agressive society), so the polar opposite of your state of grinning surfers. You're in for a culture schock-and not a pleasant one. Just my "2 cents".
Based on this post, I can tell you've never been to California.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel