Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2014, 09:03 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,602,856 times

Advertisements

It was nearing midnight when a sleek coach adorned with galloping canines inched through the new Greyhound terminal in Washington. The 45-foot-long vehicle rolled past a glass-enclosed ticket counter emitting a warm glow, a wood-paneled waiting room and me sitting on a bench, watching for the 12:01 bus to Chicago.

The driver pulled into a spot and hopped out, dressed in the same shades of blue as his charge. Despite the hour and the long road ahead, he was a ball of energy.

Greyhound: 100 years old and acting younger than ever - The Washington Post
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2014, 04:55 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,392,303 times
I have never ridden a Greyhound in my life. I either fly or drive. A bus doesn't make sense when I own a car.

Old 07-06-2014, 05:01 PM

11,371 posts, read 9,286,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandalorian View Post
I have never ridden a Greyhound in my life. I either fly or drive. A bus doesn't make sense when I own a car.
Lots of people don't own a car and many do not want to fly anymore or never liked it in the first place. Add the fact the train can't go everywhere a bus goes plus it's cheaper and I see how it makes sense to many people.

Old 07-06-2014, 06:01 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,287,859 times
I own a car and I ride intercity bus services like Megabus and Jefferson Lines when they make sense. Megabus offers a lot of great fares between Chicago and Minneapolis and Chicago and Nashville, some as low as $1. That is substantially cheaper than driving and a lot more relaxing as I can work on my laptop while the driver can worry about the traffic.

To bring this back to topic, I do NOT take Greyhound as nearly all my experiences on that line have been memorable ... in the wrong way. I remember the pimps and hookers working the Dayton terminal, the fight outside the Cleveland but my favorite was the glue sniffer in the back seat that was dropped off along the side of the road in Cincinnati.

Old 07-07-2014, 06:17 AM

3,379 posts, read 5,537,247 times
Interesting read, but I still have not felt Greyhound's transcendence up here in Canada. It is still not much more than the cheapest, grubbiest option available. I'm waiting - well, hoping - for one of these cheap, couple-of-dollars bus lines to blow up in these parts. They seem like the new trend.

Old 07-07-2014, 08:06 PM

2,483 posts, read 4,373,160 times
I once took Greyhound over 2500 miles from Talahasee FL to San Jose CA because I had no car and I didn't have the money to fly (1-way). It was a very long ride and hard to sleep at all, but it was fun when passengers started visiting and playing cards, etc. because we were all basically trapped together. I wouldn't do it again unless I had to because it makes no economic sense when you factor in your time. But at age 19 with no real job, sitting in a seat for a couple days seemed like a great way to save a few bucks. I didn't read the whole article because it was poorly written, but Greyhound is fooling themselves if they think they're going to attract many people besides broke kids, migrant workers and destitutes on any of those longer runs.

Old 07-07-2014, 08:34 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,287,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
Interesting read, but I still have not felt Greyhound's transcendence up here in Canada. It is still not much more than the cheapest, grubbiest option available. I'm waiting - well, hoping - for one of these cheap, couple-of-dollars bus lines to blow up in these parts. They seem like the new trend.

Megabus has made it to Montreal and Toronto. Coach Canada also has some service in SW Ontario.

I liked the Voyageur Bus Lines years ago but they have been absorbed by Greyhound, I believe.

Old 07-08-2014, 08:44 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,040,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post

I liked the Voyageur Bus Lines years ago but they have been absorbed by Greyhound, I believe.
Correct for the areas from Montreal west. From Montreal east its former network is now operated by Orléans Express.

Old 07-12-2014, 05:31 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,911,642 times
I rode Greyhound a few years back from New York to Atlantic City. Not bottom of the barrel travelers. There used to be a company called Trailways. I rode that decades ago and the bus broke down.

Old 07-12-2014, 05:47 PM

384 posts, read 349,553 times
I took greyhound once. Never again. If I didn't own a car, I'd just rent. Anything of decent distance, I'd fly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel