Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2014, 09:27 AM

8,610 posts, read 7,895,946 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IheartWA View Post

I will never forget taking a tour of the Peace Park at Hiroshima, Japan. It is very upsetting. In fact, it is so emotionally draining, by the time you get out you want to just run out of there screaming.

Barcelona Spain, the most romantic city in Europe. Strolling along Las Ramblas in the early evening.

In the US, I want to say the Grand Canyon, but the giant Sequioas, they are the largest living things on earth. When you see them from a distance you think "Ok, they're big, but not that big." Then when you stand at the foot of one, they're gigantic!
Have you been to Pearl Harbor? The butterfly effect in action.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2014, 12:56 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
Have you been to Pearl Harbor? The butterfly effect in action.
you know I didn't think of Pearl Harbor when I first posted. I can't believe what interesting places people are mentioning. It is amazing how differently we all think..

Old 07-25-2014, 01:13 PM

12,270 posts, read 11,331,859 times
In no particular order:
  • The Grand Canyon
  • The Florida Keys
  • The Paraguana Peninsula VZ

Old 07-25-2014, 01:25 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,534,651 times
- The Grand Canyon
- Kitchen Mesa, Ghost Ranch NM
- The rainbow colors of the buildings in Guanjauato (city) Mexico

Old 07-25-2014, 01:36 PM

I am a little surprised at how many people put Grand Canyon at the top of the list? It does go to show how we all see things differently...and there are so many ways to interpret the question.

Old 07-25-2014, 03:17 PM

1,339 posts, read 3,467,171 times
1. Easter Island (seeing the moai statues and learning about them was a realization of a childhood dream)
2. Iguaçu/Iguazú falls (more memorable from the Argentinian side)
3. Kyoto (during peak sakura season and for the most nicest/kindest locals I've ever met)
4. Moscow (for the bulbous domes and for the most well-dressed women I've ever seen)
5. Western Norway (not just for the fjords but for driving through the spectacular scenery and hiking on the glacier)
6. Costa Rica (a wonderful eco-friendly country with amazing rainforests and cloudforests)

... ... list just goes on

Old 07-25-2014, 08:04 PM

12,270 posts, read 11,331,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I am a little surprised at how many people put Grand Canyon at the top of the list? It does go to show how we all see things differently...and there are so many ways to interpret the question.
The sheer physicality of the Grand Canyon is just awesome. I've seen much of the world and nothing has stirred such a sense of wonder at the art of nature as the Grand Canyon.

Old 07-25-2014, 09:13 PM

2,483 posts, read 4,373,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
The sheer physicality of the Grand Canyon is just awesome. I've seen much of the world and nothing has stirred such a sense of wonder at the art of nature as the Grand Canyon.
The grand Canyon is not my favorite place to visit because of the crowds and surrounding tourist junk... but for sheer awesomeness in the truest sense of the word there really is nothing like it in all the world. People who say differently probably either haven't been there or just don't want to admit it because it's not 'exotic' enough.

Old 07-27-2014, 06:18 PM

9,264 posts, read 7,410,655 times
Ann Frank museum in Amsterdam
Eiffel Tower in Paris
Open air opera theatre in Verona, Italy

Old 07-28-2014, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
In all honesty the only time I have really seen it was in high school on our family summer vacation. We did Zion, Bryce and the Grand Canyon, with the Grand Canyon being the last. I guess that might be why I don't put it at the top of the list. I was a kid and after 3 weeks of traveling was ready to go home.

We have been to Hoover dam many times and the first week of Sept we will be spending a week in Vegas. Our daughter and son in law are taking hubby on a helicopter ride over the canyon. I am petrified of heights so I get to stay back in Vegas. Instead of going with them, I get a gift certificate to Trader Joe's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel