Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you a good packer?
Yes, I roll (my clothes) in style. 41 82.00%
No, I have too many suitcases. 7 14.00%
I never go anywhere! 2 4.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2014, 10:55 AM

1,830 posts, read 6,155,125 times

Advertisements

I'm a better packer than I used to be. Right now my travel is limited to one trip to Seattle in the summer for financial reasons (a dear relative pays the ticket to visit). These trips require additional items for hiking, kayaking, and swimming. For non-sporting activities I pack non-wrinkle, fast dry Liquid Knit outfits by Susan Graver--they take up so little room! Doesn't matter if packing flat or rolling. The problem is *shoes* --need sandals, walking shoes, water shoes, and heaviest hiking boots and, if I want my hair to look nice it means also bringing *2* sets of electric rollers along. Would love to be able to get all that into a carry on but it won't quite fit. If I ever get back to Europe, will try to pack the way Rick Steves does and forget how my hair looks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2014, 11:02 AM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,735,700 times
I travel for work 1-3 times a month, some does not require flight, but simply a longer drive to my destination. I pack one bag for work related clothes/items, one bag for regular personal clothes/items and that is all. Two bags total, and fairly small in size.

Old 08-10-2014, 04:46 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,058,499 times
When I fly, I hardly ever bring much more than a toothbrush wherever I go, I will put on everything I expect to wear all at once before leaving for the airport and tie my extra shoes to my belt.

http://wac.9ebf.edgecastcdn.net/809E...es-480x360.jpg

Old 08-10-2014, 05:51 AM

1,087 posts, read 1,947,475 times
I'm with irlinit, last minute packer here as well, we try to travel light and we usually figure out what we need and what we are going to wear/when/where impromptu, works for us (family of 4 and a dog), we usually don't forget anything or tend to overpack. . . . we travel a lot, hence after a while it's the same ol same ol.

Last edited by chaotix; 08-10-2014 at 05:59 AM..

Old 08-10-2014, 08:42 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,838,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Townandcountrygal View Post
I'm a better packer than I used to be. Right now my travel is limited to one trip to Seattle in the summer for financial reasons (a dear relative pays the ticket to visit). These trips require additional items for hiking, kayaking, and swimming. For non-sporting activities I pack non-wrinkle, fast dry Liquid Knit outfits by Susan Graver--they take up so little room! Doesn't matter if packing flat or rolling. The problem is *shoes* --need sandals, walking shoes, water shoes, and heaviest hiking boots and, if I want my hair to look nice it means also bringing *2* sets of electric rollers along. Would love to be able to get all that into a carry on but it won't quite fit. If I ever get back to Europe, will try to pack the way Rick Steves does and forget how my hair looks.
Id say you need a different hair dresser or style. Or maybe an electric curling iron!

Thanks for the info on the liquid knit from Susan Graver. I've been wondering how they are as I'm 'between sizes' at Chicos.

Old 08-13-2014, 07:57 PM

872 posts, read 1,263,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by almost3am View Post
I wouldn't say I am a good packer, I just pack light. My wife is a good packer, she can fit so much crap into a small space it is unbelievable.
Bingo! No space goes unused.

PS Loved the poll option "Rolling (clothes) in style" - guilty!

Old 08-14-2014, 05:19 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
When I fly, I hardly ever bring much more than a toothbrush wherever I go, I will put on everything I expect to wear all at once before leaving for the airport and tie my extra shoes to my belt.

http://wac.9ebf.edgecastcdn.net/809E...es-480x360.jpg
You're going to give people ideas. Some aren't bright enough to figure out that this is a good way to get the TSA to make sure you have shed every single item of clothing and possibly the contents of your bowels before getting on a plane.

Old 08-14-2014, 05:22 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Id say you need a different hair dresser or style. Or maybe an electric curling iron!

Thanks for the info on the liquid knit from Susan Graver. I've been wondering how they are as I'm 'between sizes' at Chicos.
Agree about the new hair dresser. I only need a blow dryer--which is always in my hotel room or cruise ship cabin for my use. I have friends I stay with often--two guys who didn't own one between them. I bought a cheap hair dryer and left it at their house so other guests could have use of it as well.

Old 08-15-2014, 12:26 AM

4,666 posts, read 5,094,408 times
What I used when I went to Argentina for about two weeks are the vacuum bags that are made for traveling. I was able to pack everything in a standard travel bag* plus my hiking boots and a backpack for my computer. When I went to Oregon and out to Colorado (when I was still living in the Chicago area) I was able to pack everything for a week trip in my 50 liter backpack. General point is that I have a large enough bag for trips less than a week and a great idea for trips longer than a week.

*http://tannersalleyleather.com/travelbags.jpg

Old 08-15-2014, 07:21 AM

7,595 posts, read 6,087,283 times
I would define good packing as
1 Taking exacltly what I need
2 Having anything I need handy when I arrive
And 3
Not having anything on hand that I do not need.

The Ex had a terrible habit on car trips, which she learned from her family. Pack the car to the gills. Pack boxes full of towels, blanket, pillows, extra clothes, books, games, photos, everything in the med cabinet, creature comforts, anything and everything, If there was empty space in the trunk, fill it with something. Then do the same with inside of the car. Never know what you might need at a hotel, right?

Turned me off to traveling that way.

Being a frequent cruiser, I am still trying to perfect my packing style. I have learned a few things. One, when you have a pair of slacks that are starting to get frayed, those are the ones to take on a trip. And they are not taken home. Same with old Tshirts, as it is easier to even buy cheaper used clothes with the plan of ditching them. This leaves the suitcase almost empty for the return home, and if you want to collect a souvenir (which oddly enough, last trip was mostly Tshirts) then there is plenty of room for them in the suitcase.

On a cruise, I have to take nice clothes for dinner but I found that rather than two suits, one dress jacket with two slacks and two different ties is a better choice, and jeans are versatile enough for any dinner on casual night.

I have perfected the toiletries by purchasing small bottles, filling them with shampoo and soap, as well as travel size cologne and taking only what I plan to use.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel