Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2014, 03:11 PM

2,918 posts, read 5,609,332 times

Advertisements

i usually "pack" a couple mins before i am planning on leaving. then again i live out of a suitcase and 90% of my flights are same day bookings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2014, 07:40 PM

560 posts, read 599,571 times
i usually only pack 1-2 hours before!

Heck... i'm one week away of moving to the US to actually live there and I still haven't started packing! Oh boy

Old 10-03-2014, 08:41 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,294,079 times
The actual act of packing takes so little time, I never do it way ahead. I start packing in my mind about a week ahead, planning on what to take. The night before or morning of I put it in my suitcase. I don't find it stressful at all.

Old 10-03-2014, 01:04 PM

335 posts, read 620,064 times
I am a chronic procrastinator for EVERYTHING. Especially packing. I have a printable list that I keep updating with things I need to do before I go, things to bring, etc., but that still doesn't help. I have had nightmares where I didn't pack until the last minute and almost missed my flight! That actually almost happened for the last trip I took with my husband - although the flight was delayed several times, he wanted to get to the airport early, and I found myself literally throwing things in the suitcase within the last few minutes before we left. (And of course, we got to the airport and had plenty of time, almost 2 hours before the flight left, since it was delayed even more.)

I think part of it for me is all the things I want to get done before I go. We have a cat sitter for our 2 cats, but still want to make sure the house is clean, I leave a check for the catsitter, I have all bills paid, appliances off, thermostat set.. I usually also bring a lot of toiletries/meds because I hate paying full price for anything. (And of course if we are not checking bags, I have to squeeze all those liquids/gels into those teeny containers in that darn ziploc bag.) My husband teases me about it, but whose the one asking for a band-aid or some advil because he never packs those things?

I think the other part of it for me is that I have never been one to lay out clothes the night before for the next day. What if I change my mind in the morning? So for me to figure out what I'm going to need ahead of time is a hassle. And some clothes require a certain color bra or underwear, and I find myself trying everything on just to make sure I'm packing the right things!

My husband, otoh, travels often and can pack in 15 minutes. So my way of packing drives him insane.

Old 10-09-2014, 10:08 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times
It depends. I've already started a bag of small items I don't want to forget before I go to Europe for two weeks next year (renting a flat, so want to make sure I've got certain items which won't be supplied or I wouldn't need in a hotel), but I've got a business trip for a couple days next week and will pack the morning that I leave. Just got back from the west coast, packed the night before I left.

Old 10-10-2014, 12:43 AM

768 posts, read 718,778 times
FL Skater~ I am right there with you! I feel your frustration as it is also mine. You stated it so well! I don't know what the solution is. But I'm always up all night as I will be tonight for an early flight in the morning.

Old 10-19-2014, 11:01 AM

335 posts, read 620,064 times
Just got back from a trip. What cracks me up is that a few days before we left, I find myself trying to get done little projects all over the house that had no relevance to our trip or for when the cat sitter was here. (Researching how to make a screen insert for our front doors, new doormat, adding drapery weights to the curtains I finally put up...) Now that I'm back home, I have no desire to do any of that, yet I was racing around to all the stores prior to when we left!

NoNansea- hope you weren't up too late packing!

Old 10-23-2014, 04:22 PM

768 posts, read 718,778 times
Actually FLSkater, I do that exact same thing, although lately I have stopped myself upon realizing what I'm doing & how I don't have time for that. I've always been interested in the study of human behavior & would love to know of any theories as to why people like you & myself do such a thing.

I never went to bed that night because I would not have been able to get up in time for my 4:30am ride to the airport. The benefit of my stressful packing routine was that I had everything I needed without over-packing.

Old 10-24-2014, 02:50 AM

2 posts, read 1,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine_565 View Post
Unfortunately, I tend to wait until the last minute to pack. How many fellow travelers are also inclined to pack the day (or night) before a trip?

What are your main reasons for procrastinating? I tend to procrastinate most when I have a lot of things occupying my mind.
Ops! Guilty. Haha! I don't know but I'm a great procrastinator. LOL

Old 10-28-2014, 07:57 AM

11 posts, read 9,423 times
I am a last-minute packer, well last-hour for sure. I have just noticed that I always manage to do something in a period of time I have decided to spend on it. So if I start packing several days in advance - I will use the whole time I have. If I have decided to pack in an hour - the hour will be enough. The result is the same in both cases, anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel