Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do you think about recling seats on airplanes?
I don't recline because it is rude to the person behind me 54 28.88%
I recline all the way back because it is my right! 58 31.02%
Airlines should change seats so they don't recline 61 32.62%
I have no opinion at all about this silly question! 14 7.49%
Voters: 187. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2014, 07:01 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
They don't recline much so "all the way back" is misleading. If you've ever been flying for any length of time with little sleep and are sandwiched between two people then reclining is pretty much your only chance for comfort, which is minimal. I think they should book fewer people and spread the seats out some so people can be comfortable. We pay a dang lot of money to be squished like sardines and then we should be grateful to the airline? Um...no.
You don't pay a lot of money. Try driving and see if you can do it cheaper--including wear and tear on your car.

Adjusting for inflation, airfare is cheaper than it has ever been. In order to keep it that way, they've had to cram more seats in. The traveling public has voted with their wallets by buying the cheapest tickets rather than the slightly more expensive and much more comfortable tickets. You're reaping what you've sown.

Old 08-30-2014, 08:49 AM

2,912 posts, read 2,444,160 times
I wish airlines would quit making reclining seats. I never recline, even on long-haul international flights.

Old 08-31-2014, 03:45 PM

10,646 posts, read 16,035,527 times
Only against reclining if the person in front of me is 220+ lbs (100+ kg).

Old 08-31-2014, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by david0966 View Post
I wish airlines would quit making reclining seats. I never recline, even on long-haul international flights.
Your choice. Most do. Personally I recline my seat 180 degrees and fall asleep. You should try it sometime.

Old 09-02-2014, 01:24 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,277,759 times
Happened again: Seat recline fight diverts another flight - CNN.com

Old 09-02-2014, 01:50 PM

1 posts, read 728 times
When the reclining option was put on seats, airlines allowed a lot more room between seats. Now that they are trying to squeeze as many people on a plane as possible they need to remove the recline option. First off I NEVER use the recline option because I know what it is like to have a seat sitting on your chest. I had to fly a couple of weeks ago and the gentleman in front of me had his seat reclining before we ever took off - I asked him nicely to please put it back up (I am a 5'9" woman) because I could not let my tray table down for my drink. He refused, so I did turn into an 8 year old and started twisting and turning in my seat so that my knees kept poking him in his back for the entire flight. He would turn around with a big huff, and I would smile and say sorry and was just trying to get comfortable. I am almost 55 years old and should not have to act like a child, but when others are completely inconsiderate of others it infuriates me....Just because you have the option to use something does not mean it is in yours or others best interest to use it.

Old 09-02-2014, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NanaNae View Post
When the reclining option was put on seats, airlines allowed a lot more room between seats. Now that they are trying to squeeze as many people on a plane as possible they need to remove the recline option. First off I NEVER use the recline option because I know what it is like to have a seat sitting on your chest. I had to fly a couple of weeks ago and the gentleman in front of me had his seat reclining before we ever took off - I asked him nicely to please put it back up (I am a 5'9" woman) because I could not let my tray table down for my drink. He refused, so I did turn into an 8 year old and started twisting and turning in my seat so that my knees kept poking him in his back for the entire flight. He would turn around with a big huff, and I would smile and say sorry and was just trying to get comfortable. I am almost 55 years old and should not have to act like a child, but when others are completely inconsiderate of others it infuriates me....Just because you have the option to use something does not mean it is in yours or others best interest to use it.
Wait a sec. I'm 5'7" and have never had a problem putting my tray table down, even when the seat in front of me is fully reclined. Are you by chance rather obese? That's the only reason this would be an issue.

Old 09-02-2014, 08:57 PM

1,291 posts, read 1,344,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NanaNae View Post
If you could not get your tray table down and he would not move, I would have called the attendant. Before things got out of hand . Being able to access your tray table is part of your seat, which you paid for. He could have moved up a tiny bit so you were able to.

Old 09-02-2014, 09:36 PM

4,794 posts, read 12,378,123 times
Is this reclining conflict worse now because there is less room between seat rows than there used to be? edit:I see this issue may already have been addressed. sorry

Old 09-03-2014, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njmom66 View Post
If you could not get your tray table down and he would not move, I would have called the attendant. Before things got out of hand . Being able to access your tray table is part of your seat, which you paid for. He could have moved up a tiny bit so you were able to.
Again, the only reason the tray table wouldn't come down in this scenario is that the person trying to use it is very obese. There is absolutely no other possible scenario.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel