Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2014, 12:02 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,992,760 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdlee3_46041 View Post
\So, maybe the airlines should put a height restriction on the exit row seats at least and say if you're under 6' tall for instance, you can't sit there.
I've been off this thread for quite awhile. But I suggest that if you're 6'6" or over, you get preferential exit row seating. And I'm saying this because I am, in fact, 6'6" or over. And I get those vaunted exit row and "across from the jump seats" seats. And I am so flippin' tall that I do not pay a penny extra for that.

Let me repeat for the people who are too brain-dead to understand -- I do not have to pay extra for the "premium seats" because the airlines take one look at me and give me those seats for free. I book so far in advance and get my seat assignments so far in advance that I inconvenience NOBODY. Get it, annerk? NOBODY. That's the number of people who are inconvenienced by the fact that I can dunk a basketball by walking up to a basketball hoop, do a little hop, and drop the ball into the target.

The only exception is when I have to fly short notice. And EVEN THEN, the attendants just let me hang out in the galley, bending the rules just for me, because they freakin' get it that my reality is different from the reality of the guy who is merely 6'3".

And that's that. I am done with this thread. Anyone who doesn't understand the previous three paragraphs flat-lines an electro-encephalogram and is not worth dealing with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2014, 12:18 AM

403 posts, read 557,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
I've been off this thread for quite awhile. But I suggest that if you're 6'6" or over, you get preferential exit row seating. And I'm saying this because I am, in fact, 6'6" or over. And I get those vaunted exit row and "across from the jump seats" seats. And I am so flippin' tall that I do not pay a penny extra for that.

Let me repeat for the people who are too brain-dead to understand -- I do not have to pay extra for the "premium seats" because the airlines take one look at me and give me those seats for free. I book so far in advance and get my seat assignments so far in advance that I inconvenience NOBODY. Get it, annerk? NOBODY. That's the number of people who are inconvenienced by the fact that I can dunk a basketball by walking up to a basketball hoop, do a little hop, and drop the ball into the target.

The only exception is when I have to fly short notice. And EVEN THEN, the attendants just let me hang out in the galley, bending the rules just for me, because they freakin' get it that my reality is different from the reality of the guy who is merely 6'3".

And that's that. I am done with this thread. Anyone who doesn't understand the previous three paragraphs flat-lines an electro-encephalogram and is not worth dealing with.
I'm not against that idea. You won't have many 6'6" people on any 1 plane so they should get preferential exit row seating. I'm 6'2" and don't worry about the exit rows, but you will have a lot of 6'0"+ people on a flight that are worried about it. An average flight might have 1 6'6" person on it so there are still some exit row seats available that shouldn't go to somebody that's 5'5" unless the taller people just flat out turn them down. A lot of taller people would turn them down also because they're flying with family and would want to sit with them so I don't think that short people would necessarily be out of luck when it comes to the exit row seats, just saying that if a taller person wants them, then they should be able to get them without too much of a hassle.

My problem, when it comes to reclining seats, isn't the people that have such long legs that they block the seat in front of them from reclining without even trying. That's the category you fit into. My problem with it are the people that intentionally block a seat from reclining just because they don't like the fact that the person reclines. Or if the seat does recline, they act childish and kick the back of the seat, yank on it when they get up, or do whatever else they can to annoy the person in front of them. So anything I've posted is meant towards those people, since the OP asked if anybody had INTENTIONALLY prevented a seat from reclining.

Old 09-17-2014, 01:10 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,383,703 times
Default Absolutely not

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastcoasting View Post
That is to say, have you ever forcibly stopped and individual in front of you from fully reclining their seat by exerting force against the back to make them think the seat has hit its maximum recline position?

I have.

I plan on doing it again.
Man, this is just flat out rude and inconsiderate.

It's not the fault of the person who reclines the seat, it's the fault of the airlines. The airlines are squeezing the hell out of people just to maximize profit and it sucks.

It doesn't bother me in the least if the person in front of me reclines. I always ask the person behind me if it is OK if I recline before I do. Reclining my seat rarely increases my level of comfort enough to make up for the lousy space the airlines give to passengers now, so I typically don't recline.

Old 09-17-2014, 06:43 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,038,899 times
Quote:
I look at it this way and you can agree with me or disagree with me, I don't care. I do recline and I feel the person in front of me has the right to recline as well. There have only been a few rare cases where I even had to ask somebody to sit up again when they've been reclined. Every time I had to ask, I was responded to politely and if I'm reclined and the person behind me asks politely, I will respond politely as well. If the person behind me wants to be childish and kick my seat or yank on my seat just because I'm reclined, but they haven't taken the time to ask me to stop reclining, then there's no way that I will stop reclining. I do believe in the golden rule and that you should treat others as you want to be treated yourself. So, if you want to be treated as an adult, then act like an adult. If the person in front of you is reclined and you need something out of your bag or you just simply can't move your legs, just ask them politely and I'm sure they'll accommodate you or you 2 can at least compromise. However, you also shouldn't ask for the person to put their seat upright again simply because you don't like the fact that they are reclined.

Tall people and I'll even add in obese people for this part have problems that aren't entirely their fault. There have been many obese people who purchase 2 seats because of their size, but then they are given seats far apart, such as 8D and 26A for instance. Obviously, that is the airline's fault if that happens. Tall people will often pass an exit row seat and see people that are say 5'5" in the exit row simply because they want the extra room, not because they require the extra room. On my last flight, I bet the tallest person in the exit row was maybe 5'7". That person doesn't require the extra space provided by the exit row, they just wanted it for whatever reason. So, maybe the airlines should put a height restriction on the exit row seats at least and say if you're under 6' tall for instance, you can't sit there.
The people in the exit row have either paid a premium to be there or have flown enough miles with that carrier (still paid) to be there. The airlines aren't going to put a height restriction on an exit row seat. They make money one way or the other on them. By the way, I flew in an exit row seat last week. I booked very late and first class was full. If someone tall had "needed" that seat, they could have paid for it and I would have ended up in the middle seat, last row.

Old 09-17-2014, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
The people in the exit row have either paid a premium to be there or have flown enough miles with that carrier (still paid) to be there. The airlines aren't going to put a height restriction on an exit row seat. They make money one way or the other on them. By the way, I flew in an exit row seat last week. I booked very late and first class was full. If someone tall had "needed" that seat, they could have paid for it and I would have ended up in the middle seat, last row.
First of all, I find it to be pretty bad that I knew what you were going to say as soon as I saw your name at the top of the post. Not word for word obviously, but I knew what your post was going to consist of.

See, you're part of the problem. You've said over and over in this thread that people need to arrange to sit in a seat that they will fit in and then you said it again this post. The problem is that people that don't need those seats are the ones that want them the most.

A lot of airlines, not all, but a lot of them, don't open up the exit rows until 24 hours before departure. So if somebody is at work at say a factory at the 24 hour mark and you are at home sitting in front of your computer at that time waiting to check in, then you can't really say that the person at work didn't make the necessary arrangements because they just never got the chance to make them because somebody like you, who doesn't need the extra legroom offered by an exit row seat, got on and decided that your comfort was more important than somebody else's.

I was actually siding more with you until this last post by you and I know you don't care if I'm siding with you or not. I still am ok with reclining and the people in front of me reclining, but I also think that tall people should be given the chance to get seats that they are comfortable in without paying for the upgrade to Business or First. Economy Plus, on domestic flights at least, isn't much improvement over regular economy. I'm not saying that those people should get free exit row seats. I'm simply saying that they should be sold at the gate and that somebody that's 5'5" for instance shouldn't be given the chance to purchase them unless there's not enough taller people to fill them, either they don't want them or it's a plane full of shorter people.

Old 09-17-2014, 07:28 AM

Quote:
First of all, I find it to be pretty bad that I knew what you were going to say as soon as I saw your name at the top of the post. Not word for word obviously, but I knew what your post was going to consist of.

See, you're part of the problem. You've said over and over in this thread that people need to arrange to sit in a seat that they will fit in and then you said it again this post. The problem is that people that don't need those seats are the ones that want them the most.

A lot of airlines, not all, but a lot of them, don't open up the exit rows until 24 hours before departure. So if somebody is at work at say a factory at the 24 hour mark and you are at home sitting in front of your computer at that time waiting to check in, then you can't really say that the person at work didn't make the necessary arrangements because they just never got the chance to make them because somebody like you, who doesn't need the extra legroom offered by an exit row seat, got on and decided that your comfort was more important than somebody else's.

I was actually siding more with you until this last post by you and I know you don't care if I'm siding with you or not. I still am ok with reclining and the people in front of me reclining, but I also think that tall people should be given the chance to get seats that they are comfortable in without paying for the upgrade to Business or First. Economy Plus, on domestic flights at least, isn't much improvement over regular economy. I'm not saying that those people should get free exit row seats. I'm simply saying that they should be sold at the gate and that somebody that's 5'5" for instance shouldn't be given the chance to purchase them unless there's not enough taller people to fill them, either they don't want them or it's a plane full of shorter people.
I booked my flight five hours before I took it, and the seat next to me remained open through the entire flight. I suppose that it will really gall you when I say that often when they can't get me into first, they block the seat next to me unless it's a full flight.

If it's a problem, perhaps they should choose an airline that will allow them to book those seats early, or one that has economy comfort seats which can always be booked immediately.

Given your logic, who would you rather please--the 5'7" woman who spends $100K a year with you, or the 6'6" man who spends $600 a year and will shop around for the cheapest ticket? I can guarantee you that the airlines will cater to the frequent flyer over the tall person any day of any week. And that's how it should be. Without us frequent flyers buying last minute seats the rest of you would be paying double for your annual trip to Disney or the Grand Canyon.

Old 09-17-2014, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusNexus View Post
Man, this is just flat out rude and inconsiderate.

It's not the fault of the person who reclines the seat, it's the fault of the airlines. The airlines are squeezing the hell out of people just to maximize profit and it sucks.

It doesn't bother me in the least if the person in front of me reclines. I always ask the person behind me if it is OK if I recline before I do. Reclining my seat rarely increases my level of comfort enough to make up for the lousy space the airlines give to passengers now, so I typically don't recline.
People refuse to pay what would be about $40 a ticket for three extra inches of legroom. They want to have their cake and eat it too.

Old 09-17-2014, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I booked my flight five hours before I took it, and the seat next to me remained open through the entire flight. I suppose that it will really gall you when I say that often when they can't get me into first, they block the seat next to me unless it's a full flight.

If it's a problem, perhaps they should choose an airline that will allow them to book those seats early, or one that has economy comfort seats which can always be booked immediately.

Given your logic, who would you rather please--the 5'7" woman who spends $100K a year with you, or the 6'6" man who spends $600 a year and will shop around for the cheapest ticket? I can guarantee you that the airlines will cater to the frequent flyer over the tall person any day of any week. And that's how it should be. Without us frequent flyers buying last minute seats the rest of you would be paying double for your annual trip to Disney or the Grand Canyon.
When it comes to upgrades and certain perks, the airlines will cater to the frequent flyer who spends $100k a year vs. the person the only flies once a year and I agree, that's how it should be in that regard. However, the airlines have also proven that they will cater to the much larger group of people that will just buy the cheapest ticket, which is exactly why we're even having this discussion.

I don't spend anywhere close to $100k a year on travel. This year, on airfare, I've spent about $4,000 total for 5 trips. I don't fly internationally so all of my travel is domestic. I will purchase Economy Comfort seats if they are available. The only time they haven't been available on my Delta flights this year is the one time there was a late equipment change and they couldn't accommodate me in EC, in which I got a refund for EC on that flight. I also had 1 flight on SWA. No, I didn't fly SWA because it was cheaper. In fact, it was about $30 more than the Delta flight I was looking at, but the schedule worked out better for me on SWA for that particular occasion.

I will say this. Airlines will cater to the frequent flier obviously, but once you're on the plane, they don't care how much money you spend or what you paid for that particular seat. Everybody in First will get the same service as the rest of the First Class passengers on that flight. Everybody in Business will get the same service as everybody else in Business on that flight. Everybody in Economy, including Economy Comfort, will get the same level of service as everybody else in Economy. There are some exception, like maybe somebody with a lot of status books a flight late and is unable to secure a First or Business seat, either through upgrade or purchase, often times the flight attendants will still arrange something for them like if there's an extra First Class meal for instance. THAT'S the way it SHOULD be. Other passengers on the flight, regardless of which class you're flying, have no way of knowing what you spent on seats and the vast majority of them don't care. They want to get from point A to point B and be as comfortable as they can possibly be under the circumstances.

Last edited by mdlee3_46041; 09-17-2014 at 07:57 AM..

Old 12-25-2014, 10:52 AM

30,633 posts, read 18,222,068 times
Yes, and its been done to me as well.

Old 12-25-2014, 12:40 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,272,887 times
And here I was, hoping that this thread would never be resurrected. Sigh.

Hopefully we won't re-start the flogging of this particular deceased equine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel