Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2014, 07:57 AM

41,936 posts, read 37,024,941 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
Old Orchard Beach, ME, the official beach of Quebec. Not only is there plenty of kitsch, it's American kitsch made in Asia and advertised in Quebecois.

If I can add the "most anticlimactic" attraction, that would be Plymouth Rock. My family took multiple trips to Cape Cod growing up, but my wife had never been. And she wanted to stop in Plymouth and see the rock. When we got there, she just looked at me and said, "You're kidding, right?"

What did she expect? A bigger rock?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2014, 07:57 AM

4,751 posts, read 5,447,191 times
I don't mind kitschy, but cheap-tacky and run down places just make me sad.

I took my kid to Cave City, Kentucky a few years ago to go to Mammoth Cave NP (which is amazing, btw) and while we were there we also visited Dinosaur World. Not terrible, but pretty run down and past it's prime. And the cartoon colored dinos were pretty tacky.

Kentucky

Old 09-12-2014, 08:16 AM

656 posts, read 1,342,850 times
Can't forget Wall Drug, and their endless supply of tacky billboards which span for what seems like forever... including a billboard to tell us that they have a billboard in Kenya.

Old 09-12-2014, 08:25 AM

3,463 posts, read 5,667,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBeam33 View Post
I don't mind kitschy, but cheap-tacky and run down places just make me sad.

I took my kid to Cave City, Kentucky a few years ago to go to Mammoth Cave NP (which is amazing, btw) and while we were there we also visited Dinosaur World. Not terrible, but pretty run down and past it's prime. And the cartoon colored dinos were pretty tacky.

Kentucky
Spot on!!

Was the shop that sells "soovineers" there, then? ha ha

I was just there on Tuesday. Im sure it hasnt changed a bit since you were. That mile or two has tacky 'o plenty!!! Im going to take a motorcycle trip there and stop at all the trinket places for my Christmas gifts

Old 09-12-2014, 10:10 AM

3,276 posts, read 7,850,385 times
Also, any attraction where you are shoved in front of a camera and they try to sell you your picture is tacky.

Old 09-12-2014, 10:17 AM

8,793 posts, read 8,178,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
South Of The Border, off I-95 in South Carolina (that's right, it's just south of the "border" with North Carolina. A former gas station and rest stop that became a kitschy Mexican-themed gas station and rest area with restaurants, trailer campground, gift shop, and motel. See the giant Sombrero Tower! Select from your choice of 50 different South Of The Border coffee mugs! Beware of tired grouchy kids and foul smelling rest rooms!
A long time ago, they used to have a policy of automatically slapping a bumper sticker on your car when you were looking. That long with the signs 300 miles away made the place seem like much more than it was.

Old 09-12-2014, 10:24 AM

8,793 posts, read 8,178,297 times
There is a fish restaurant in Louisiana (near I-10), has multiple billboards from far away that advertise "The Best Seafood in Louisiana." You generally have to drive out of your way to get to a small corner diner with no pizzazz and food no better than "Cap't D's."

Old 09-12-2014, 10:39 AM

1,970 posts, read 2,715,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post
HA HA !! I clicked on this thread when I saw it on the "recent activity" module, just to mention South of the Border, and your post was the first I saw!
Me too!

Old 09-12-2014, 10:43 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,710,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I love cheese steaks and am far from fat. In fact my doctor made a comment about how she wished every patient my age was slim and fit like I am. That said, I can eat cheese steaks because I work out every day.
And you don't eat many of them. Make it a daily thing and you will pork up no matter how hard you work out.

Old 09-12-2014, 11:16 AM

10,016 posts, read 12,592,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mire View Post
That's exactly the one I was going to name.

Not so much a tourist attraction, per se, but a tourist trap, all the same - the Iowa 80 truck stop in Walcott, Iowa.
My wife and I just love the Iowa 80. We stayed there many times when we were trucking. The truck museum is really great and free to boot. I used to sit around in the food court, eat junk food that is terrible for me and just watch the parade of interesting and weird people streaming by.

PS, Iowa is a beautiful state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel