Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2014, 04:15 AM

1,209 posts, read 2,420,553 times

Advertisements

hi guys ill be travelling to India in March for 10 days (max i can get from my job) Anyone got like a sample itinerary? ill be travelling with a buddy well be arriving in Mumbai first and work ourselves around
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2014, 04:26 AM

4,290 posts, read 4,012,365 times
Mumbai is a nice place,, I have been there. But what you mean by sample itinerary? Places that you can visit?

Old 10-03-2014, 07:52 AM

3,379 posts, read 5,537,247 times
You must start in Mumbai? Do you already have the flights booked?

If you have to start from Mumbai, I would check out the Elephanta Caves which you can reach by ferry somewhere around the coast of the city. There's also some hill stations a few hours out that are popular getaways. Matheran is one. It would be a good way to cool down from the heat.

Otherwise, by far the most popular short-term itinerary would be Delhi (leave immediately) to Agra (for the Taj Mahal) and then Jaipur, a city on the foot of the Great Thar Desert.

If it were my ten days, I would go to Kolkata, check out the Sunder bans delta, and then go to Varanasi, a very auspicious city and probably one of the most fascinating places on Earth. Or from Kolkata, up to Darjeeling if the time of year permits views of the Himalayan peaks.

Old 10-06-2014, 01:40 PM

822 posts, read 1,284,701 times
With all the negative stories coming out of India regarding Westerners getting sexually assaulted and even killed I think you are nuts to go there. Are you a woman?

Old 10-06-2014, 04:54 PM

3,379 posts, read 5,537,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatAngMoh View Post
With all the negative stories coming out of India regarding Westerners getting sexually assaulted and even killed I think you are nuts to go there. Are you a woman?
Yeah, well, dilute that number in to the hundreds of thousands of foreign tourists who visit India each year, then also consider that a billion+ people live there, which is probably several times more the population of where ever you're from, and THEN consider how risky you actually think going to India is after all that.

Go to India. It will reward you if you don't live in fear.

Old 10-06-2014, 05:49 PM

4,204 posts, read 4,690,534 times
Elephanta Caves near Mumbai can be reached by a Ferry from Gateway of India. From Mumbai you can go to Aurangabad for Ajanta and Ellora (Caves/Temples) as well as Goa. Or you can straight away go to Delhi and then visit Agra (Taj mahal), Jaipur (Pink City) and Udaipur. Varanasi and Khajuraho can also be visited.
It all depends on your interests. If you are interested in Mountains or Temples or Beach or Cities or History, trip can be designed in that way.

Old 10-06-2014, 11:11 PM

23,223 posts, read 29,051,044 times
India is considered to be the most spiritual country on this planet, don't have to go far to soak up the thick spiritual atmosphere! It's been said, no one leaves India without being transformed in some way.
For me, I ditched my 40 years of Catholicism for Tantric Buddhism.

Not far from Mumbai, is Poona, home to OSHO, now the 2nd most visited site after the Taj Mahal!

If more adventuresome, head over to Varanasi, where so many Indians go to die and be cremated, along the Ganges River!

Old 10-07-2014, 11:25 PM

1,161 posts, read 2,448,825 times
India can be an overwhelming place. And fascinating. And truly enjoyable as long as you understand what you're getting into. You will see incredible poverty. You will see intense spirituality. You will see wonderful architecture. You will see a fascinating country.

There's so much to see in India that it's best to focus on a certain region. However, if you expect this to be your only trip to India, it's very much worth the effort to see the Taj Mahal, which is one of the most breathtaking buildings in the world, possibly the most impressive structure ever built by man.

Our last trip to India focused on what is probably the most iconic region of the country - Rajasthan. This was the itinerary as I can remember:

Day 1: Arrive in Delhi, late night.

Day 2: Delhi. Explored the old city (extremely crowded and a real eye opener). Then went to the "new" New Delhi, around Rajpath to admire the government buildings built by Lutyens under British rule, which are truly impressive. Took a taxi ride around New Delhi as well to see the Lutyens bungalows and a few museums.

Day 3: Early AM took the train from Delhi to Agra. Arrived in Agra around 9 AM. Took taxi to the Red Fort, which is one of the most splendid forts built by the Mughals with fantastic architecture. Then went to the Taj Mahal for a few hours. The Taj is, as mentioned, one of the most impressive buildings by man I've ever been privileged to see. Early afternoon we took a hired car to Jaipur, stopping at the ruins of Fatehpur Sikri, a mosque and palace complex in the middle of the Rajasthani plains that was only inhabited for one generation before abandoned by the ruling Mughals. Arrived in Jaipur late night in time for dinner.

Days 4-5 Jaipur. Saw the various palace and fort complexes and walked around the old pink walled city. Very lively place.

Day 6: Jaipur to Jodhpur by train.

Day 7: Jodhpur. Visited the palace/fort complex and walked around the city.

Day 8: Jodhpur to Udaipur by hired car. Stopped at the Jagdish temple complex halfway between the two. High Hindu temple. Fantastical carvings. Arrived in Udaipur late afternoon.

Days 9 - 10: Udaipur. Visited the palaces, walked around the city.

Day 11: flew back to Delhi for connecting flight to the Maldives.

Rajasthan has even more places that we were unable to visit, namely Jaisalmer, the fort city in the desert. We still saw a lot and were able to do so at a relatively leisurely place, sightseeing in the morning, relaxing by the hotel pool in the afternoon, and more sightseeing and walks in the evenings before capping the day with a nice dinner.

Old 10-08-2014, 07:20 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,392,303 times
This thread should be named: 10 days of diarrhea

Old 10-09-2014, 09:27 AM

4,204 posts, read 4,690,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandalorian View Post
This thread should be named: 10 days of diarrhea
You cant get "diarrhea" in India. They spell it as "diarrhoea".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel