Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2014, 07:33 PM

1,194 posts, read 1,400,016 times

Advertisements

I've spent several weeks at a time in various Southeast Asian countries (Vietnam, Thailand, Laos) seeing various landscapes (large cities to mountains to beaches) without ever renting a car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2014, 07:59 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,845,258 times
Germany has a really excellent public transportation network. You could fly into Munich, and take a train to some of the little Alpine towns with great mountain hiking like Garmisch-Partenkirken and Berchtesgaden.

London has an excellent local parks system and a number of train and bus options to get you out into the countryside.

Old 10-27-2014, 09:54 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,311,177 times
Fly to LAX
Take bus to Venice Beach
Stay at VRBO guest house
ride bike to beach
walk to santa monica
walk to abbot kinney
take Uber to Los Feliz and Silverlake
meet woman at intelligentsia coffee shop
convince woman to take me on a date to Getty Museum, Getty Mansion, dinner in Koreatown, etc
take bus from venice beach back to LAX

Old 10-27-2014, 11:14 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,684,215 times
NYC, San Francisco.....

Old 10-28-2014, 12:44 AM

1 posts, read 929 times
Well, there are many destinations we can go to without a car. And we have to have to admit that it may seem too tiring on your part. To sleep: perchance to hit the next day's meetings difficult. Nowhere is this truer than on the highway, where the frequent business traveler, weary from shuttling in and out of joining trips, rental car desks and taxis, needs to be broken like a wild colt. Such is their inability to rein it in for sleeping and waking. And there are now resorts that offer a sleep assistant to go along with the traditional [URL=http://personalmoneynetwork.com/moneyblog/2013/03/12/sleep-concierge/]wake-up call[/URL]. Be sure to ask for your work-down call during your next stay, when mornings have to be devoted to things other than what's on tap in Margaritaville.

Old 10-28-2014, 02:28 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,431,258 times
Las Vegas. My wife and I never have a car there. Good public bus service.

Old 10-28-2014, 03:52 AM

4,095 posts, read 5,547,556 times
My last trip without a car was to Brugge, Belgium. We used the train to get there and while there walked or rented bikes.

Old 10-28-2014, 04:06 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
My daughter did a 6 week tour of Europe last year and never needed a car, at the moment she is in the second week of a 6 week Asian vacation and has no plan to rent a car,public transit will take you almost everywhere.
You could consider a city with a huge centrally located park on top of a mountain where you could spend all day walking thriugh forest and get there on a city bus..
Montreal for example=
https://www.google.ca/search?q=parc+...ed=0CAcQ_AUoAg

Old 10-28-2014, 05:29 AM

43,669 posts, read 44,406,521 times
In the USA one can do NYC or San Francisco.

In Europe one can do many big cities without a car such London (where I took a vacation some years ago and had no problem getting around by public transportation).

In the Middle East, one can definitely take a vacation in Israel without a car. There is extensive bus system throughout the country and within all large cities. There are also commuter trains in a great part of the country. Tel Aviv also one walk to most areas that a tourist would want to go with the notable except of the Diaspora Museum where you would need to take a local city bus.

In Asia from my 2 experiences in China, one can definitely take a vacation in most areas without a car. Chinese big cities have extensive bus networks and some major cities (Beijing, Shanghai, etc.) also have subway trains. Hong Kong is also another city that one doesn't need a car. Besides the buses there are ferries between the different islands.

In South America from my experience in Ecuador, one doesn't need a car either. The 2 largest cities Quito & Guayaquil have extensive bus systems. When I was there one could negotiate fares with the local taxi drivers. Also if one visits the Galapagos Islands (which is part of Ecuador) one doesn't need a car but it is best take a tour and there as it is really the only way to access the various islands (especially the uninhabited ones) which only boat/ship/tour operators are allowed to stop at.

BTW, although I have never been to Toronto in Canada, I have heard that one can around easily there also without a car.

Old 10-28-2014, 05:45 AM

1,492 posts, read 1,618,535 times
A little further away from the U.S, cities like Tokyo, London, Rome and Paris do not require a car at all. In fact, a car would almost be an inconvenience is these places. You can fly to any of these cities and be quite comfortable using public transportation and taxis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel