Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2014, 11:49 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,562,968 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by erjunkee View Post
In the world of incessant greed amongst the airlines, I was always so happy that Jetblue stood it's ground and put customer satisfaction and practicality above the ever-present trend to turn a profit.

Sigh...I guess I was wrong. I just heard this on the news:

JetBlue will cut legroom, charge for checked bags - Nov. 19, 2014

Are there any airlines here in America that still no longer charge fees for checked baggage?
I checked one bag with Delta last week, no fee. I thought I was going to get charged when I came back from vacation with all the gifts I bought but it still managed to be just under 50 pounds so I still wasn't charged on my flight back. Woohoo!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2014, 11:50 AM

1,601 posts, read 2,983,546 times
Get a United Airlines credit card, pay your balance off each month, book your flights with it, get flier miles, and get a bag checked for yourself and each travel companion for free. They make no money off me and I get miles and free bags.

Old 11-19-2014, 11:59 AM

556 posts, read 946,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
I checked one bag with Delta last week, no fee. I thought I was going to get charged when I came back from vacation with all the gifts I bought but it still managed to be just under 50 pounds so I still wasn't charged on my flight back. Woohoo!
Was it an international flight? You still get free checked bags for those...

Old 11-19-2014, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpheels View Post
Was it an international flight? You still get free checked bags for those...
Ah, yes, I went to Nicaragua.

Old 11-19-2014, 12:32 PM

17,155 posts, read 12,965,617 times
The company said the different levels "will enable JetBlue to tailor its offering to individual customers' needs in a way that is simple and transparent."

No, it's the excuses that are transparent. Doing different pricing structures for different customers actually make ticket purchases MORE complicated, not less.

And that old excuse about charging $X more dollars for something that used to be for free because the airlines are "feeling the crunch" makes me want to throw up. It's all about greed, pure and simple. And most of the time, passengers are forced to pay it, so of course they do. They have no choice but to fly, either for business, or because the distance they need to travel is too far to go by other means. Gf and I flew Frontier a couple of months ago. Their bag fee system is the exact reverse of the other airlines. They charge LESS for checked bags, because they charge for both checked bags AND carry ons, so guess what we did? Checked everything, which of course meant less work for us, especially with a plane change.

Old 11-19-2014, 12:49 PM

7,778 posts, read 10,166,473 times
Too bad. I liked having JetBlue as a free checked bag option. Oh well.

I also don't think we have any right to complain. We're not entitled to checked bags and these are for-profit corp. They can choose how to charge me and I can choose whether to give them business.

Old 11-19-2014, 01:52 PM

2,918 posts, read 5,609,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rizzo0904 View Post
Every airline should allow one bag free...you are going on vacation! Unless you are a day trip, you're bringing clothes and toiletries. More than one, fine, charge.
I can fit everything I own into carry on luggage. Don't understand why so many people bring so much crap with them on vacations.

Old 11-19-2014, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foadi View Post
I can fit everything I own into carry on luggage. Don't understand why so many people bring so much crap with them on vacations.
I'm one of those people. I brought a checked suitcase with me to Nicaragua & I ended up wearing probably half of what was in it. I don't know what my problem is, I am a horrible packer. i just think that I MAY need these things. I guess I like to have options. Next time if I go to a country w/that climate again, I need to remember this last trip & hopefully get everything into a backpack.

Old 11-19-2014, 02:13 PM

2,918 posts, read 5,609,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
I'm one of those people. I brought a checked suitcase with me to Nicaragua & I ended up wearing probably half of what was in it. I don't know what my problem is, I am a horrible packer. i just think that I MAY need these things. I guess I like to have options. Next time if I go to a country w/that climate again, I need to remember this last trip & hopefully get everything into a backpack.
The one thing I hate about Spirit is they charge even for carry on unless it is a small backpack (have flown to MDE AND SDQ with them a couple times each). So whenever I have made I have flown with them have had to make do with next to nothing. Can fit two pairs of jeans, one swim trunks, six shirts, boxers/socks for a week, toiletries into my backpack and just carry my laptop w/ me. Have do do laundry or buy new clothes midweek on those trips.

Old 11-19-2014, 02:13 PM

1,601 posts, read 2,983,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foadi View Post
You can carry SCUBA gear and toiletries and clothes in a carry-on bag? Wow. I must have really been missing something all these years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel