Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2008, 04:48 PM

1 posts, read 3,803 times

Advertisements

I would be very grateful for your help and advice. Our family (two adults and two teens) are moving to Boston for a 6 month sabbatical from July 3, 2008 to January 15, 2009. My husband (Professor and Head of Exercise Science and Physiotherapy at Griffith Uni on QLD's Gold Coast) will be working at Havard Medical School, the children (well-travelled, high achieving cool kids) will go into school. I'm planning to enjoy Boston to the full!

We have a large, luxury home in the Gold Coast Hinterland (rainforest country) and are 30 mins from the beach. I have posted on various house swap sites, including the sabbatical one, with no luck - mainly because of the length of time. My guess is our target group are retirees who are free to travel for this extended period. Do you have any idea of how I can contact this target group? I am looking at the areas of Newton, Wellesley and Brookline, in that order of preference. It would be great to have your advice. Many thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2008, 05:55 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,628,555 times
We have been doing house-swaps for 19 years ( this year will be our 40th).
We are members of Homelink which is the biggest home-swap organisation and will provide you with the best chances. I assume you have tried them ?
HomeLink Australia - International Home Exchange
Home Exchange with Intervac - Our people, services and global reach
Also you can try Intervac ( link above), the second biggest :

Homelink will cost you about $200 for a year and is really worth it. They have a system of references you can ask for and we have never had a bad exchange.
I am amazed people don't do this as a matter of course for their holidays as well as sabbaticals.

You can also swap you car as well. Many members are looking for long-term exchanges too such as six months and over. For your yearly membership fee you can do as many swaps as you wish anywhere around the world too, including the country you live in for shorter ones.

Otherwise why don't you try the Harvard University Gazette, I know people here in Oxford use it for the same advertising purposes ( ie : sabbaticals).
Good luck and enjoy Boston, it's a wonderful city and New England is Fabulous !

Old 01-04-2008, 08:04 AM

2,238 posts, read 9,756,657 times
I wish you wanted to come to Kansas City, I'd be all over a house swap. My daughter moved to Australia last spring (Brisbane) and I'd love to go down there for a while.

Oh well
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel