Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2014, 11:03 AM

2,918 posts, read 5,609,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
I went to Malaysia (Borneo) and including everything, including tours (nearly every day), food, flights (9 total, 3 to Malaysia, 3 back, and 3 in country), etc from the USA spent less than that for over two weeks. I couldn't spend $3k in a week if I tried most places I've been to.
SE Asia has a huge influx of guys spending US$10,000-20,000/month. The explosion of offshore work, military contractor work, the WA mining boom, etc in the last decade has created them. They are finding ways to spend that money, so it's definitely possible. If I was going to Malaysia for two weeks, I would probably budget US$800/week not including flight, so I agree that it is not a very expensive destination. But if I went next door to Thailand for only two weeks my budget could easily break US$1500/week. I used to do the budget thing, try to stretch US$10,000 over six months in SE Asia. I just can't do it any more, it sucks being on a tight budget all the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2014, 11:03 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foadi View Post
SE Asia has a huge influx of guys spending US$10,000-20,000/month. The explosion of offshore work, military contractor work, the WA mining boom, etc in the last decade has created them. They are finding ways to spend that money, so it's definitely possible. If I was going to Malaysia for two weeks, I would probably budget US$800/week not including flight, so I agree that it is not a very expensive destination. But if I went next door to Thailand for only two weeks my budget could easily break US$1500/week. I used to do the budget thing, try to stretch US$10,000 over six months in SE Asia. I just can't do it any more, it sucks being on a tight budget all the time.

You could give up the ladies of the night. That would make the money go a lot further.

Old 12-31-2014, 11:06 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
making inexpensive hotels sound terrible won't help your argument. I mostly spend about $60 a night in European or Japanese cities (Paris/London excepted as it needs to reach $100) and never had trouble having a good night sleep. Never had smelly pillow or bedbugs. The noise sometimes is an issue but nothing a pair of earplugs can't help.

You are free to spend $250-300 a night in your Hilton or Ritz and admittedly it is nice to see all the beautiful deco and facilities, but for most people, it really has little to do with the quality and enjoyment of the entire trip.

most people on this forum are not that pretentious, fortunately, and are realistic about what their real needs are.
Where did I say Hilton (which is not luxury) or the Ritz? Those were your words. Ear plugs hurt my ears, which are sensitive due to TMJ. Trying to wear them would be worse than not as far as getting good sleep goes.

Old 12-31-2014, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
You could give up the ladies of the night. That would make the money go a lot further.
Would easily cut my budget in half, if not more. But not something I am willing to do. Everyone needs a hobby. Mine isn't any more expensive than most other guys (cars, homes, sports, gadgets, etc). Just makes my vacations more expensive.

Old 01-01-2015, 07:09 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,728,787 times
Quote:
Would easily cut my budget in half, if not more. But not something I am willing to do. Everyone needs a hobby. Mine isn't any more expensive than most other guys (cars, homes, sports, gadgets, etc). Just makes my vacations more expensive.
Then buy your ladies in Los Angeles since you can't live without them.

Old 01-01-2015, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Not everyone is a cheap.

I am fairly good at managing my finances. Only make median income, and am able to spend roughly half my income on international travel ($20-30,000/year). Spending $3000 in a week isn't excessive by any means. What world are you living in?
Considering you mentioned in another thread that you mostly book your air ticket a few days prior to the flight and hotels on the same day (spontaneous trips), I would not say you manage your finances well.

The fact people were able to save a lot through smart planning and budgeting doesn't translate into "cheapness". Most of your expensive budget went into price premiums for not booking everything we'll in advance and not more enjoyable trips (glad the hookers who slept with 1000 other men made you happy though). If you think spending more means better travel with minimal marginal return, well, I am sure all the companies receiving your money are grateful. It is people like you who contribute to the bulk go their profits.

Old 01-01-2015, 07:41 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
I have not gone to Cuba and have mixed feelings as to whether or not I would want to. I have heard it is beautiful but there is more to travel than beauty. I guess, if cruise ships, eventually use Cuba as a port, we would want to go, for a longer visit, I will leave it to others. I am not crazy over giving my money to a Communist country.

Old 01-01-2015, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Considering you mentioned in another thread that you mostly book your air ticket a few days prior to the flight and hotels on the same day (spontaneous trips), I would not say you manage your finances well.

The fact people were able to save a lot through smart planning and budgeting doesn't translate into "cheapness". Most of your expensive budget went into price premiums for not booking everything we'll in advance and not more enjoyable trips
There is no premium on not booking hotels in advance - in fact you get the best opaque deals on same/next day bookings. I consistently pay below RevPAR.

Flights can be tricky. Most of my domestic flights are reimbursed, so I couldn't care less about the price on them. For international/leisure trips that I am footing the bill for, I definitely pay a premium, although it isn't that much. Maybe an average of $50-100 for a long haul flight (ex: LAX-BKK). So $150-300/year I lose due to premiums. Not going to make a difference. I feel bad for you if that would make a difference in your life. I would actually lose considerably more money (in cancellation feesn and more expensive tickets, date-changing fees, etc) if I did book in advance as I book same day/next day out of necessity - I never know when the projects I am working on are going to end. They can be extended, cut short, or something even better can pop up immediately after they end.

Old 01-04-2015, 03:43 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,744,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I have not gone to Cuba and have mixed feelings as to whether or not I would want to. I have heard it is beautiful but there is more to travel than beauty. I guess, if cruise ships, eventually use Cuba as a port, we would want to go, for a longer visit, I will leave it to others. I am not crazy over giving my money to a Communist country.
That would not bother me. A lot of countries we go to have skumbags at the top of the political ladder. I would never let politics affect my travel choices. I go to have fun and experience other cultures. Cuba is definitely on my list of future travel destinations.

Old 01-05-2015, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
That would not bother me. A lot of countries we go to have skumbags at the top of the political ladder. I would never let politics affect my travel choices. I go to have fun and experience other cultures. Cuba is definitely on my list of future travel destinations.
to not to visit a country because of the political system is laughable. Don't know why some people are as childish and hypocritical as this.

I don't travel to Texas because there is death penalty?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel