Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2015, 07:39 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,030,832 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
there are plenty of budget options if you look for them, for example when I was Madrid a couple years ago I used to eat at this place right by the Puerta Del Sol, a nice tasty toasted cuban sandwich and a small glass of beer for 2 euros...quite a deal similarly I stayed at a very nice pension for only $40/night right in the heart of Madrid.

Spending $250/night for a basic hotel in Europe is the definition of insanity. I would spend that kind of money only in some exotic location...perhaps if it was a resort in the Maldives or something to that effect.
$250 wouldn't buy you a day room in the Maldives--at any hotel. it would buy you the most basic room in one of the hotels in downtown Papeete, but who goes to French Polynesia or the Cooks or the Maldives, etc. to stay in an urban city complete with transit buses, garbage trucks, and litter?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2015, 09:19 AM

1,161 posts, read 2,447,585 times
Just a quick correction. You can get a resort hotel room in the Maldives for under $250. But, and this is a big but, you will most likely have to pay for food and beverage separately, stay on a less interesting island with less interesting snorkeling, more basic (3 star) accommodation and still have to fork over $$$ for the transfer from Male to the resort. When you factor all the expenditures it is very difficult to spend less than $250/day altogether.

The alternative is to stay at one of the low key "backpacker" guest houses that have started opening up in the islands that were once closed off to tourists as they were populated by locals. They can be a very good deal if you don't mind basic accommodation and simple beaches. The water is still the water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
$250 wouldn't buy you a day room in the Maldives--at any hotel. it would buy you the most basic room in one of the hotels in downtown Papeete, but who goes to French Polynesia or the Cooks or the Maldives, etc. to stay in an urban city complete with transit buses, garbage trucks, and litter?

Old 02-06-2015, 10:58 AM

7,829 posts, read 11,785,037 times
Quote:
It could, depends on where you book it. There are packages that I could buy in India that are priced differently than those sold to Americans in the US. The same resorts that are selling their rooms for $500/night to an American sells those in the Indian market for half the price... pricing differences in different markets are sometimes amazing. But one thing is constant... buying anything in the United States is always the most expensive option.

Old 02-06-2015, 09:57 PM

580 posts, read 777,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallybalt View Post
Just a quick correction. You can get a resort hotel room in the Maldives for under $250. But, and this is a big but, you will most likely have to pay for food and beverage separately, stay on a less interesting island with less interesting snorkeling, more basic (3 star) accommodation and still have to fork over $$$ for the transfer from Male to the resort. When you factor all the expenditures it is very difficult to spend less than $250/day altogether.

The alternative is to stay at one of the low key "backpacker" guest houses that have started opening up in the islands that were once closed off to tourists as they were populated by locals. They can be a very good deal if you don't mind basic accommodation and simple beaches. The water is still the water.
Maldives pricing is insane.

Will let you know in April if it is worth it

Old 02-08-2015, 05:42 PM

30,627 posts, read 18,203,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
It could, depends on where you book it. There are packages that I could buy in India that are priced differently than those sold to Americans in the US. The same resorts that are selling their rooms for $500/night to an American sells those in the Indian market for half the price... pricing differences in different markets are sometimes amazing. But one thing is constant... buying anything in the United States is always the most expensive option.
That's a great point and is something I've always wanted to try! I'm curious to know, though, whether there are formal rules against this practice that could lead to your purchase being canceled or worse?

Old 02-08-2015, 06:42 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,807,837 times
[quote=The Investor;38030379]A couple I know just returned from their first trip to Europe visiting France and Italy. After talking about how great of time they had, the conversation turned to how much money they spent. They insisted they traveled moderately and did not splurge at all, but the total cost for the ten day trip was about $10,000.

$3000 for Airfare ($1500 a piece)
$2500 for Hotel ($250 a night average at Comfort Inn quality spots)
$2000 for Food (An average of $30 for breakfast and lunch and $70 for dinner per person for ten days)
$1000 tours and attractions
$1500 for trains and buses and inter Europe (Paris, Venice, Florence and Rome)

TOTAL $10,000

These numbers are way too high; anyone can of course spend a lot, but the post makes it imply these people are stating this is how much it costs to go, versus this is what they spent.

What they paid is way too high, sure, if they did it on purpose no problem, but if they are complaining about the costs, they obviously have zero experience and/or common sense in regards to traveling.

I would not spend this much even though I have the money to do so, I am not into giving my money away so easily.

Old 02-08-2015, 07:56 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,030,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
That's a great point and is something I've always wanted to try! I'm curious to know, though, whether there are formal rules against this practice that could lead to your purchase being canceled or worse?
You need to read the fine print. I know that sometimes pricing is different due to governmental regulations that only apply to citizens of various countries, and yes, the trip could be voided if you don't qualify for what is written in the fine print.

Old 02-08-2015, 08:16 PM

30,627 posts, read 18,203,012 times
Quote:
You need to read the fine print. I know that sometimes pricing is different due to governmental regulations that only apply to citizens of various countries, and yes, the trip could be voided if you don't qualify for what is written in the fine print.
Thanks! I'll make sure to do so.

Old 02-09-2015, 07:40 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,733,986 times
Quote:
$1810 R/T One stop in each direction. Named airline. Not sure where you are looking, but it's obviously not a good site.
I was quoting one way, not RT. RT is quite a bit cheaper.

Old 02-09-2015, 08:25 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,871,003 times
I'm planning to spend a month in CR with wifey next month (agreed cheaper than Europe, but more expensive than the rest of Central America and even Mexico) . I plan to spend 4000 $, fare included -and not in hostels mind you, but partly in **or *** hotels, partly in a cabin rental (we'll cook ourselves, there's a cooking range). We'll travel by bus (no car rental). And I'm sure we could do less, but we want to indulge a little bit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel