Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2015, 05:32 PM

18 posts, read 38,059 times

Advertisements

So I think I have a vacation complex or something like that. I cannot decide where to go, how much to spend, when to go, and so on, or even whether to go on a vacation.

It's not that I have not traveled before, but flying to go visit my family is not really a relaxing vacation in my book.

So here I am, trying to plan, AGAIN, another vacation (never been able to finalize one). This time, I'm hoping that I could take a few days off the week of February 22. My husband is unable to join me. My tween daughter may or may not come with me.

I would love to go to a warm climate (I'm from the Boston area) and I'm thinking Florida because I've never been there. But I don't really want to drive, because I get nervous in places I'm not familiar with. I'd like to be in a place that is not too crowded or noisy. I would like a place close to the water. A place that offers or is close to a yoga studio.

Yes, money can be an issue. I'm not looking for a luxurious hotel, but I'm starting to wonder if I can find something decent without spending a fortune.

I don't seem to find what I really want on the Internet.

Oh, and I'm really into hot springs (never been in one either).

Suggestions? I know I sound really difficult.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2015, 05:54 PM

11,797 posts, read 12,035,581 times
Arizona sounds like the place you want to be, particularly the Sedona area.

https://www.google.ca/#q=sedona+az+yoga+retreat

Old 01-17-2015, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post

This sounds amazing and extremely appealing! I am going to spend the night doing some internet searching.

Old 01-17-2015, 07:34 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,134,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by telluwhat View Post
Yes, money can be an issue. I'm not looking for a luxurious hotel, but I'm starting to wonder if I can find something decent without spending a fortune.
Let's start with this. What is your budget? How many days do you have free?

Old 01-17-2015, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
Let's start with this. What is your budget? How many days do you have free?
I could have a week, but the longer I stay, the more expensive it gets.
My budget is tight: I would hope to spend less than $1000 (including the airfare).

Old 01-17-2015, 11:12 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,134,708 times
4-nights at the Hyatt in Miami plus airfare from Boston for $789: Hyatt Regency Miami in United States | Vacations | Liberty Travel

Old 01-18-2015, 08:52 AM

19,441 posts, read 27,844,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post

Sedona will be COLD in February.

Old 01-19-2015, 08:19 AM

1,069 posts, read 2,947,633 times
Just for numbers-sake:

Round trip Boston to Phoenix, leaving on Feb 22nd and returning on the 27th is $286 round trip on Delta (helps to be a major hub airport!). After taxes and fees, it's probably closer to $300. 6 days of rental car at $15 / day (I'm currently renting a Mazda2 at that rate through Hertz, writing this while vacationing in KY for the weekend!) would work out to be $90 for the trip (which I'll round to $100 for fees and taxes). Side-note, you're on a budget. Save money by getting a small rental. If it's just you, and possibly a daughter, you really don't need a large sedan or SUV. Budget hotels in Sedona are around $70-80 / night (as low as $60 / night, but there were mixed reviews). A budget of $400 would give you 5 nights in a decent hotel. Food is relative -- if you plan to eat out for every meal, you'll want about $45 / day ($10 breakfast, $15 lunch, $20 dinner). Across 6 days, that'd be $270. Depending on your preferences, though (fine dining versus a PB&J in your room), this number could vary greatly.

Off these numbers, we're looking at around $1,070 for 6 days / 5 nights in Sedona, including airfare. This could be substantially lower if you pick a budget hotel (or camp!), and buy your own food to make in the room. Of course, bringing the daughter will double the airfare and the food budget. You could potentially save by taking AZ shuttle (a state-wide van service) from the airport to Sedona, but this would leave you without a car for the time there, so I wouldn't suggest it (round trip to Flagstaff from the airport is $82, I'd imagine Sedona is similar -- a $10 savings isn't worth not having daily transportation around the area).

Old 01-19-2015, 11:01 AM

Yeah, these are also the kind of things that make me halt and stay home altogether.
It seems that flying to Phoenix would cost double, compared to other east coast cities (and a handful of other non-east cost places that I don't care for at the moment).

Quote:
Originally Posted by cab591 View Post
Just for numbers-sake:

Round trip Boston to Phoenix, leaving on Feb 22nd and returning on the 27th is $286 round trip on Delta (helps to be a major hub airport!). After taxes and fees, it's probably closer to $300. 6 days of rental car at $15 / day (I'm currently renting a Mazda2 at that rate through Hertz, writing this while vacationing in KY for the weekend!) would work out to be $90 for the trip (which I'll round to $100 for fees and taxes). Side-note, you're on a budget. Save money by getting a small rental. If it's just you, and possibly a daughter, you really don't need a large sedan or SUV. Budget hotels in Sedona are around $70-80 / night (as low as $60 / night, but there were mixed reviews). A budget of $400 would give you 5 nights in a decent hotel. Food is relative -- if you plan to eat out for every meal, you'll want about $45 / day ($10 breakfast, $15 lunch, $20 dinner). Across 6 days, that'd be $270. Depending on your preferences, though (fine dining versus a PB&J in your room), this number could vary greatly.

Off these numbers, we're looking at around $1,070 for 6 days / 5 nights in Sedona, including airfare. This could be substantially lower if you pick a budget hotel (or camp!), and buy your own food to make in the room. Of course, bringing the daughter will double the airfare and the food budget. You could potentially save by taking AZ shuttle (a state-wide van service) from the airport to Sedona, but this would leave you without a car for the time there, so I wouldn't suggest it (round trip to Flagstaff from the airport is $82, I'd imagine Sedona is similar -- a $10 savings isn't worth not having daily transportation around the area).

Old 01-19-2015, 11:03 AM

19,441 posts, read 27,844,220 times
and that rental car is gonna cost more than $15/day in Sedona, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel