Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2015, 01:26 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,269,437 times

Advertisements

I say start in San Diego, spend a couple days there, then rent a convertible and drive north along the coast and explore a few other areas in CA doing/seeing things the two of you enjoy. No need to stay in one location for the whole time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2015, 01:37 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,694 posts, read 58,012,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
I say start in San Diego, spend a couple days there, then rent a convertible and drive north along the coast and explore a few other areas in CA doing/seeing things the two of you enjoy. No need to stay in one location for the whole time.
San Diego (beach / old town) to Hearst Castle / San Luis Obispo (coastline) (could go by train for more fun / relaxing)
Welcome to San Luis Obispo, the Happiest Place in America | Visitors Guide

Can loop over to Yosemite (romantic Lodge) and Sequoia if driving.

Old 02-06-2015, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
Good food, good wine and sightseeing ... that's quite generic.

San Francisco has perfect weather in October
.... but no beaches or laying around the pool scene.
We do SF a lot. It is EXCELLENT and much is free. Luv the 'library-walking-tours'. Hotels have not been great, but our use of Hospitality Guest homes has been wonderful ($10/ night in SF is tough to beat... includes 1-2 meals). Some have 100% use of Guest House / beach (coastal) condo!

Age 40+ allows many options.
http://wikitravel.org/en/Hospitality_exchange

Old 02-06-2015, 02:06 PM

323 posts, read 376,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
San Diego (beach / old town) to Hearst Castle / San Luis Obispo (coastline) (could go by train for more fun / relaxing)
Welcome to San Luis Obispo, the Happiest Place in America | Visitors Guide

Can loop over to Yosemite (romantic Lodge) and Sequoia if driving.
Take a look at Ragged Point for a hotel stay around Hearst Castle. We went a few years back and loved it.

Old 02-06-2015, 06:28 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,055,938 times
You could spend some time in the Seattle area, go out to the San Juan Islands, The Willows Inn and their restaurant have been on my list for a while The Willows Inn on Lummi Island - San Juan Island Hotels.

Old 02-06-2015, 08:39 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,098,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krazykatlady View Post
My husband and I will be celebrating our 30th wedding anniversary this October. I am 50 and he is 52. We are active and love to site see. We love good food and good wine, too. We like beaches and poolside for a day or two but not for the entire vacation.

We prefer to stay in the United States.

Can you suggest a nice place to vacation for a week?

Thanks, in advance!
Charleston, South Carolina.

Prettiest city in the US, gorgeous beaches, best dining in the south, incredible shopping, amazing architecture and October is the absolute best month to visit. It is still hot and sunny but low humidity.

Stay on Sullivans Island.

Old 02-07-2015, 01:09 AM

30,498 posts, read 16,202,768 times
I'd second the northeast for the hills, leaves, and cool temps.
The finger lakes region of NY has a lot of wineries.

http://www.fingerlakeswinecountry.com
Maybe a week on Amtrak? go in a big circle and stop over along the way. Not sure if it's still allowed but they used to let you stay up to 24 hrs in a place and get back on the next train without additional charge.

Old 02-07-2015, 09:09 AM

213 posts, read 376,844 times
Thanks for all of the ideas. We have vacationed in the Florida Keys many, many times. Actually, Key West is my favorite place, hands down, but my husband wants to go somewhere new.

I grew up in NY state so we've been to the Finger Lakes Region many times. We've been to Lake Placid and the Adirondacks numerous times also. We've been to Cape Cod and Martha's Vineyard once. Vegas is not a special place for me. Been there, done that.

South Carolina sounds wonderful and I'd like to look into that but I think we've decided on California. Probably going to start off on Coronado for a couple of nights and work our way up the coast.

I welcome any ideas from there. Things to do, things to see. Not looking to do things cheaply. We have money to spend but we prefer to stay at Bed and Breakfasts over hotels. We have a total of 7 nights to play with. Would love to taste some wine but I don't know if that is too far north.

Any itinerary ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks, in advance!

Old 02-07-2015, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazykatlady View Post
... I think we've decided on California. Probably going to start off on Coronado for a couple of nights and work our way up the coast.

I welcome any ideas from there. ... We have money to spend but we prefer to stay at Bed and Breakfasts over hotels. ...
Any itinerary ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks, in advance!
We've never had a 'cost-is-no-barrier', so...

Add some of the exquisite LA / CA Coast restaurants to your agenda!!! (We have our favorites that have done 1-2x in last 40+ yrs). Each person's taste / desire is quite different, but Southern CA has many excellent eatery's. ('destination dining') Spouse is from Hollywood, / Santa Monica so will never exhaust the list.

There will be plenty of wine opportunities near San Diego and SLO / Santa Barbara / Santa Maria. Choose a B&B at a vineyard! We do that in Europe (agritourismos, cuz they are cheap). Farm stays been some of our best stays (cuz I'm a farm kid and like to get up at dawn and help with chores, then come in for Breakfast about 8:30AM). Very peaceful stays. Lambing season is now, and very fun!

Old 02-07-2015, 12:29 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,122,044 times
Coronado is meh, IMO!

Wining and fine dining and B&B ... I say to fly into SF and hit Napa/Sonoma a couple of nights then drive down the coast (the view will be better on the southbound side anyways) .... stay a couple nights at the Post Ranch Inn and eat at Nepenthe in Big Sur.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel