Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2015, 01:53 AM

823 posts, read 1,126,304 times

Advertisements

I've been checking out the beaches on PR using Google Earth and most of them are kind of bleh. Not the white sand and blue waters one would expect when visiting a Caribbean island. I'm sure they're not all like that in real life, so I was wondering what beaches experienced travelers go to on PR.
I'm only thinking about visiting since I don't have a current passport right now, so we can discuss other islands and their beaches another time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2015, 06:45 AM

2,123 posts, read 1,795,253 times
What about the US Virgin Islands. I'm not familiar with either location but at least it is another option in the area

Old 02-06-2015, 11:16 PM

That's also on my list, but looking at the beaches there doesn't give me the impression I'd be disappointed. They all seem very nice. The USVI is much more expensive in the winter and spring than PR, so I'll wait until summer to visit.

Old 02-07-2015, 09:18 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,938,715 times
Isla de Culebra off the eastern coast of Puerto Rico is absolutely beautiful-some of my favorite beaches I have personally been to. The ferry from Fajardo (with bioluminescent bays) is relatively cheap.

Old 02-08-2015, 06:16 PM

I think I looked at that one. There's no hotels on the island? So you'd have to stay on the main island and take the ferry over?

Old 02-08-2015, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unquiltom View Post
I think I looked at that one. There's no hotels on the island? So you'd have to stay on the main island and take the ferry over?
There are hotels-we stayed at the Hotel Kokomo one night-it was like $50, but there are nicer/more expensive ones. We had our tent with us so the next night we stayed at a campground on the beach-it was amazing.

Nothing was planned...

Old 02-09-2015, 05:51 AM

504 posts, read 1,212,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Isla de Culebra off the eastern coast of Puerto Rico is absolutely beautiful-some of my favorite beaches I have personally been to. The ferry from Fajardo (with bioluminescent bays) is relatively cheap.
Heard that the bio bay is no more, is that true?

Old 02-09-2015, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lqda4 View Post
Heard that the bio bay is no more, is that true?

I've heard they were rapidly dissapearing but didn't think it was gone yet.

I think the one in Vieques (which was the most impressive) has sadly gone dark but Farjardo is just not as impressive as it once was.

This wonder of the world has turned off. Are you worried about the climate yet? | Hugh Ryan | Comment is free | The Guardian

It was still pretty cool when I was at the bio-bay in Fajardo in January 2014-although probably not worth the money for the tour. It helps to go during the Summer and when there is a new moon-or as close to dark as possible.

Old 02-09-2015, 10:06 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
If Puerto Rico is your choice, check out the east side of the island. San Juan doesn't really offer much in the way of decent beaches. There are a few nice ones on the east side of the island.

Old 02-10-2015, 07:00 PM

233 posts, read 230,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unquiltom View Post
You can get some really neat vacation rentals on Culebra. We rented one a couple of years ago. The one we stayed at even had a car rental available for the guest to drive around the island.

As to the beaches, the Flamenco beach alone is worth going to Culebra for. Consistently voted as one of the best beaches in the Caribbean. If you like snorkeling, there are several coral reefs to enjoy that activity. Be forewarned though, the entire island is fairly undeveloped as there are no major hotels or resorts on Culebra. It is probably one of the least developed islands in the Caribbean. But it certainly appeals to those who can appreciate its serenity with its natural, unspoiled setting and don't care for Cancun-style resorts.

https://www.google.com/search?q=flam...iw=720&bih=355
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel