Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2015, 10:53 AM

7,829 posts, read 11,790,682 times

Advertisements

Has anyone here taken (or are planning to take) a sabbatical from work to do extended travel? If so how many months/years was it and what was your age at the time you did it? Did you quit your job and find one when you got back or did you get the time off from your employer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2015, 12:07 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,134,708 times
I had a 6-week sabbatical (to which I added an additional 2 weeks of PTO) and it was part of the standard benefit for the company I was working for at the time.

Old 02-06-2015, 12:19 PM

2,869 posts, read 5,137,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
I had a 6-week sabbatical (to which I added an additional 2 weeks of PTO) and it was part of the standard benefit for the company I was working for at the time.
What exactly is the difference between a 6-week sabbatical and 6 weeks in paid vacation time?

Old 02-06-2015, 12:21 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,134,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barneyg View Post
What exactly is the difference between a 6-week sabbatical and 6 weeks in paid vacation time?
PTO is accrued as you go.
The (paid) sabbatical is a one-time event that needs to be taken within a year after you qualify for one.
They're not related. At least in that company I was working for.

Old 02-06-2015, 12:26 PM

377 posts, read 670,533 times
God I wish I could go on a travel sabbatical. The only way I could get time off here is if I used my paid vacation leave (which would give me only 4 weeks and then I'd have nothing but sick time for the rest of the year) or if I went on some type of medical leave and then traveled on the D.L. lol

Old 02-06-2015, 02:15 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,724 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Intel used to allow / provide sabbatical (maybe still do)

3 months is really minimum, I prefer 6+

Do it every 7 yrs, or as often as possible

I did MANY 'sabbaticals', as we homeschooled and took 6-12 week field trips.
I purposely worked 30 yrs of nightshift so everyday I had off!

Usually 'time without pay', or LOA (minimal, cuz have to pay benefits if doing this) To retain benefits,,, I would take 19 days off w/o pay (1 day short of a month) and then one day vacation (adjacent to a paid holiday preferred), then another 19 days w/o pay.

I also volunteered for all the foriegn work assignments that came up. Thus the company PAID for travel for my entire family. (work was always very tough and LONG hours... I was not a manager... just a worker grunt / technology / skilled job). We traveled every week while on foreign assignment. Did Europe, Asia, and Canada. (Just returned from 8 month assignment in Thailand / Malaysia / China / Singapore.

Often we would team with a mission / orphanage so our kids could have some 'purpose / activity' with direct cultural immersion.

We also had our kids design and build their own houses as home school projects (and to earn college money), I took a few months off for that too.

Leaving work often is good for your attitude!
In 32+ yrs I took less than 15 days sick (except for a surgery gone bad...). Thus I had a payout for hundreds of hours of sick leave (more travel $$). But greedy CEO took my Sick Leave and 'doubled-down' in Monte Carlo.

Retire early, retire often!

Old 02-07-2015, 11:40 AM

2,918 posts, read 5,609,332 times
Working year round is prison IMO. I take at least six months off every year. Absolutely refuse to work a job that doesn't allow me to do this.

Old 02-09-2015, 09:05 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,237,878 times
I would have LOVED to have been able to take a sabbatical back in my early 30s. I had a high-pressure job and REALLY NEEDED some time off, besides the week or two of vacation that I took. I wouldn't have expected to be paid for it, I just wanted some time to travel the world a little. But in my position and with my (non-working, retired) partners, it just wouldn't have been possible.

I finally left at age 35, selling out of a very healthy and growing $multi-million business and, as it turned out, ending my chosen career, because I needed a little break.

I think a smart business (of decent size) would offer a 6-month sabbatical to its key employees every 5 years, or a 12-month one in 10 years if one prefers. It would be tough doing without a key employee for that long, but businesses always make-do if one gets sick. Or quits. A sabbatical would rejuvenate an employee and be one heck of a fringe benefit. I've been offered lots of jobs over the years, but none ever offered a sabbatical... or I'd have taken the job!

Old 02-09-2015, 09:15 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,790,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
It would be tough doing without a key employee for that long, but businesses always make-do if one gets sick. Or quits.
The thing is that if a key employee with lots of knowledge quits the downtime alone would be 6 months for a company to find a replacement, then get them up to speed. And this assumes a perfect scenario. There is no guarantee that the new person who joins will be half as good, may have personality issues with the team and not work out, may quit the job after 2 months etc. - a tremendous risk for the company.

Some companies are just short sighted and foolish in not allowing a valued employee an extended break if they so desire. Perhaps 6 months is a bit long, but I think a 4 month break after 5 years of service is not unreasonable at all.

Old 02-09-2015, 10:15 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,724 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
Some companies are just short sighted and foolish in not allowing a valued employee an extended break if they so desire. Perhaps 6 months is a bit long, but I think a 4 month break after 5 years of service is not unreasonable at all.
now to convince the business owner / manager / investors / bankers / HR of your thoughts...

My company employed school teachers during the summer breaks to keep them engaged with local industry. Thus employees had the latitude to find and train a teacher to fill in for them, and the employee could take the summer off without pay. I did that several yrs to help my aged grandfather farm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel