Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2015, 03:30 PM

10,358 posts, read 7,988,269 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BATCAT View Post
I think that a lot of the enthusiastic carry-on-only folks are those that are visiting multiple destinations and/or traveling around on train/bus/boat/whatever etc while on the trip. (and also folks flying internationally who have a transfer where they would have to retrieve and re-check checked baggage before flying out of one country)
That certainly describes most of my carryon-only trips! (The others are short weekend visits with my folks, where I may do carryon only simply because I don't need much. How much do I need to pack for a two-day trip, after all?)

When I'm going to stay in a single spot for a week or more, I'm much more likely to check a bag and enjoy the freedom of not having to lug a carryon the entire length of the terminal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2015, 09:04 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
I can't remember the last time I flew someplace and didn't leave that area within 24 hours. Not including a recent trip to London where my flights got scrambled and I ended up on an entirely different itinerary than I was originally booked on. (And very glad for packing with carry on only!) I a few months I will be traveling to DFW and staying at a nearby hotel for a conference for a few days. I'll still take carry on on my direct flight because I will be on a 5:00 am flight in both directions and don't want to have to get to the airport any earlier than I absolutely have to. Carry on will buy me an extra 40 minutes of sleep.

Old 04-15-2015, 10:03 AM

1,194 posts, read 1,399,799 times
You go to heaven faster if you don't check your luggage on flights.

Old 04-15-2015, 02:12 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,839,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCollege View Post
You go to heaven faster if you don't check your luggage on flights.
But that does not negate the need to make a connecting flight in Atlanta in the process.

(Was reading the other day that Delta is also the largest transporters of human remains by air.)

Old 04-16-2015, 12:10 AM

7,829 posts, read 11,788,932 times
some related humor on baggage LMAO! this guy is pretty funny...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=56&v=lXZMlEy7fb4

Old 04-17-2015, 02:22 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,391,147 times
I'm a pretty hardcore luggage checker, most people are carry-on fanatics. I check luggage on pretty much any trip longer than 2 days.

Baggage fees are the best thing to happen to checked luggage. Because most people balk at the small fee (which used to be built into the ticket anyway), the lines to check and retrieve luggage are nil. Baggage comes off the belt quick.

Old 04-17-2015, 04:44 PM

37,617 posts, read 45,996,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
I've decided to henceforth travel only with carry on regardless of length of trip. My new pack of choice is the Osprey Porter 46. Coupled with a small REI Flash 22 daypack (that I can essentially roll up into the main pack) it's plenty!

How many here do carry on ONLY travel for longer international trips (10+ days)?
I did a 10 day Europe trip with two teens, and each of us had one carry-on, and a small backpack. Dress clothes included. Works for me.

Old 04-17-2015, 04:49 PM

37,617 posts, read 45,996,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
some related humor on baggage LMAO! this guy is pretty funny...
This one is hilarious as well. Poor video, but terribly funny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGAD1uTR1SY

Old 04-23-2015, 09:56 AM

1,069 posts, read 2,947,286 times
I've always done carry-on only. Here's my reasoning:

- I travel light, so everything I need fits in the check bins anyways.
- I don't want to have to arrive at the airport early, wait in line to check a bag, and then wait after the flight to retrieve it.
- I like being able to move around freely once at my destination (no hauling bulky suitcases onto busses, trains or rentals, or having to lug them to hotels).

Now, here's how I go about packing. For trips under a week, I consider the number of days (including travel days) and divide it by 2. If you wear everything twice, you need to pack half as many clothes as days you are gone. Over a week, I accept the fact that I'll be doing laundry, and pack a week's worth of clothes (4 sets, using the aforementioned logic).

When flying, I wear a button down with a light jacket over it, paired with either nice jeans or casual khakis with a belt. Comfortable slip-on shoes that look decent, but are all-day comfortable. I'll have sunglasses, a hat, headphones, phone, and wallet on my person. At security, phone, wallet, headphones, and sunglasses go in the hat, and into a bin with my shoes and belt (off before I even get to the scanner). Backpack goes in next, with laptop in its own bin.

Now for the bag. I typically carry an average sized backpack. Nothing fancy / flashy. My current backpack is an Incase laptop backpack. Purchased in 2010, the specific one I have is now discontinued. The one I linked to is similar, though. It doesn't draw attention, but carries everything I need. Inside, I have my laptop, chargers, clothes and toiletries. Here's a sample packing list:

- 2 pairs of (nice) jeans.
- 2 t-shirts
- 2 pair underwear
- 2 pair socks
- toothbrush
- razor
- dry deodorant

I avoid needing the plastic baggy, because I don't pack shampoo, toothpaste, or anything liquid. Most hotels stock those toiletries for free, or worst-case, they can be bought at the destination. The general idea of the packing list is "Wear one, pack two". This gives me 3 full sets of clothes, good for 6 days. Anything longer than that, and I can wash stuff. T-shirts are compression rolled. This saves space, and keeps them wrinkle-free (I suggest anyone who wants to learn to pack light, learn how to do this).

For people who still feel compelled to check luggage, here's another thought: Unless you're pushing the 50lb weight limit, you might be better off mailing your luggage. I've done it before, when I had to return with a large duffel. Checked bag fee was something like $50, but mailing was only $40. Not only did I save money, but I didn't have to bother bringing the bag to the airport, and it was delivered directly to my house.

Old 04-28-2015, 03:06 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
My wife and I went around the world in eight months with only carry-on.

I never travel with more than I can carry on foot for an hour or two. It saves on taxis, too..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel