Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2015, 03:03 PM

10,368 posts, read 8,008,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellymdnv View Post
Like you said 15 lbs is pushing it, especially for the #teamcarryon people. I find it hard to believe that they can really come in under 15 lbs considering the bag alone can nearly half of that weight.
Not if you pick the right bag. At that weight, wheels are OUT. A very lightweight duffel or travel backpack is the key to going carryon only at a weight of 15 lbs or less. And of course, you have to be very sparing in what you pack. It's tough, but doable.

Now the folks I admire are the ones who can manage carryon only on those airlines (usually Asian) which restrict carryon weight to 5 kg (a little over 11 lbs). I just can't get that low, no matter how hard I try, so I try to avoid those airlines.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2015, 09:25 PM

363 posts, read 1,121,522 times
I'm the annoying, selfish guy who won't check a bag, even on SWA, who boards with the last boarding group, drags a bag the size of a lawnmower to stuff (with help of a shoehorn and a toilet plunger) in the packed overhead nowhere near my seat so that I can purposely delay deboarding the plane upon arrival! It's all about me, right?

Not really-I despise that guy!!! Do us all a favor-check the bag!

Old 04-09-2015, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybee View Post
Do us all a favor-check the bag!
Anyone who can't learn to truly pack light should check a bag. But there can be good reasons to go carryon only which aren't simply about being too cheap to pay a checked bag fee. Sorry, I'm not risking having to spend the day before my much-anticipated Galapagos nature cruise frantically running around Guayaquil in search of plus-sized hiking clothes because the airline misrouted (or outright lost) my luggage I'm going carryon-only on at least the outbound leg of this trip for that exactly that reason.

Of course my carryon measues under 9"x14"x22" and weighs around fourteen pounds, and I'm flying Business Class and (knock on wood, my TSA Global Entry interview allowing) will be boarding early, so I don't see a problem.

Like anything in life, it's about balance. I may well check my Osprey Porter 46 on the way back, because if my dirty laundry takes several days to make it home or goes missing altogether, it won't be as big a problem then. And that means more free bin space for someone else.

Old 04-09-2015, 10:37 PM

2,567 posts, read 5,320,558 times
For most domestic and international trips we take carry-on baggage only. I'm a birder, though, and like to have my scope with me if we're heading to a place where it will come in handy, so that's when we'll check bags (I carry on the scope itself because it's fragile, but the tripod is dismantled and packed in the checked baggage).

Also, if we have a trip with tight connections, we may decide to check a bag or two. It makes sprinting across the airport a little easier, and the bags are transported by vehicle, so they get to the plane in good time.

I do sometimes take a laptop computer with me (carry on). It's a good thing to have for work (conferences, research) and for leisure (maps, restaurants, birding info, etc.). We don't have a smartphone or anything like that.

Old 04-09-2015, 10:59 PM

2,133 posts, read 1,802,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
Anyone who can't learn to truly pack light should check a bag. But there can be good reasons to go carryon only which aren't simply about being too cheap to pay a checked bag fee. Sorry, I'm not risking having to spend the day before my much-anticipated Galapagos nature cruise frantically running around Guayaquil in search of plus-sized hiking clothes because the airline misrouted (or outright lost) my luggage I'm going carryon-only on at least the outbound leg of this trip for that exactly that reason.

Of course my carryon measues under 9"x14"x22" and weighs around fourteen pounds, and I'm flying Business Class and (knock on wood, my TSA Global Entry interview allowing) will be boarding early, so I don't see a problem.

Like anything in life, it's about balance. I may well check my Osprey Porter 46 on the way back, because if my dirty laundry takes several days to make it home or goes missing altogether, it won't be as big a problem then. And that means more free bin space for someone else.
First I gotta say that Global Entry isn't going to have anything to do with you boarding early. At best it will allow you to get to the airport a little bit later cause you'll be able to get through security quickly. Also it's possible that you might not even get benefit. The pre-check line is only available for 11 airlines so if you're not flying on one of they you'll have to go through the regular security line.

Overall I don't think this issue of being a carry on only type of person makes you a better traveler compared to some one who prefers to check their bag no matter the size or a person who packs more that they need because they want options or want to go 14 days without needing to wash or reuse clothes. No matter what type of traveler you are, either in general or for a specific trip, the problem comes down to the airline industry instituting a policy that makes travel miserable for everyone. I have yet to see anyone say that they are happy that bag fees have been instituted because it makes traveling so much easier. In your example, what happens if instead of being in business class you are in the main cabin and happen to be in one of the last boarding groups, now that the majority of passengers are trying to avoid the bag fees, the overhead bins are full and now you have to gate check your bag. You are now in a worse position since they will put a tag on your bag that isn't electronically attached to your reservation and if the bag gets lost tracking will be nearly impossible.

Old 04-09-2015, 11:45 PM

Quote:
First I gotta say that Global Entry isn't going to have anything to do with you boarding early.
You misunderstand. I'm well aware of what Global Entry does. The issue is that I have a four-hour layover between my domestic and international flights, during which time I'm scheduled to do my Global Entry interview. But the interview will be in a different terminal from the one my international flight will be departing from, and international flights generally begin the boarding process much earlier than domestic flights do. And I'll probably have to go through security again. So I may be scrambling a bit to make that flight, instead of being at the gate well before boarding commences.

Quote:
Overall I don't think this issue of being a carry on only type of person makes you a better traveler compared to some one who prefers to check their bag no matter the size or a person who packs more that they need because they want options or want to go 14 days without needing to wash or reuse clothes.
No one said it did. A more efficient packer, yes, by necessity - but that's only important in a limited set of circumstances. And it's not a matter of virtue, but of preferences and needs.

Quote:
No matter what type of traveler you are, either in general or for a specific trip, the problem comes down to the airline industry instituting a policy that makes travel miserable for everyone. I have yet to see anyone say that they are happy that bag fees have been instituted because it makes traveling so much easier.
I don't think we can place all the blame on the airlines here. Most people consider only price and schedule when they book flights, so an airline that can make its fares look cheaper by omitting "frills" like a free checked bag or a decent inflight meal has a competitive advantage, unfortunately. We (don't) get what we (won't) pay for.

Quote:
In your example, what happens if instead of being in business class you are in the main cabin and happen to be in one of the last boarding groups, now that the majority of passengers are trying to avoid the bag fees, the overhead bins are full and now you have to gate check your bag. You are now in a worse position since they will put a tag on your bag that isn't electronically attached to your reservation and if the bag gets lost tracking will be nearly impossible.
Which is why I carry the co-branded credit card (which insures Group 1 boarding) for the two major airlines I usually fly (American and United), and why I try to upgrade from Economy class whenever feasible. These days that's what it takes if you need to be 100% sure your carryon won't be gate checked. (Avoiding regional jets helps too, but is a lot harder.)

Frankly I wish they'd charge a fee for carryons - one that's higher than the cost to check a bag. Ideally they'd go back to a free checked bag, but add a fee for carryons. That would discourage people who carry on only because they're trying to save money.

Old 04-10-2015, 02:32 AM

622 posts, read 527,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Many hotels have self-serve washers and dryers on premise for guests to use. Even some high end places like Ritz Carlton and InterContinental have them.
I'm afraid that my budget restricts me to two star hotels and B&Bs.

Old 04-10-2015, 06:02 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,094,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xircal View Post
I'm afraid that my budget restricts me to two star hotels and B&Bs.
They are even more likely to have a guest laundry. Fairfields, La Quintas, Holiday Inn Express, Hamptons, Motel 6, the list goes on. While not all of them will have a guest laundry, enough will that you can get a load done every few days. If I'm pressed for time on a road trip I'll just run them on the shortest possible cycle as soon as I check in at night, take them up to my room and hang them, and put them in the dryer as soon as I wake up so they are dry by the time I'm ready to check out. Takes me a total of under 10 minutes out of my day including folding and repacking the clean clothes. I'd wait a lot longer if I checked a bag.

Self-Serve guest laundry gets rarer as the level of the hotel gets higher.

I have stayed at a couple dozen B&B's over the years and even when it hasn't been an advertised amenity, the owners have allowed me to do a load when I've asked nicely at a few of them. Obviously I bring my own detergent and only do one load.

Old 04-10-2015, 07:28 AM

14,994 posts, read 23,920,044 times
Quote:
In your example, what happens if instead of being in business class you are in the main cabin and happen to be in one of the last boarding groups, now that the majority of passengers are trying to avoid the bag fees, the overhead bins are full and now you have to gate check your bag. You are now in a worse position since they will put a tag on your bag that isn't electronically attached to your reservation and if the bag gets lost tracking will be nearly impossible.
Ahhh the gate check! Those that think carry-on is faster - two words - GATE CHECK! It's a pitiful sight to see those waiting at the exit ramp for there gate checked bags like lost sheep. You have three connections? You may be doing this three times. I'm already at my next gate, maybe on the next flight, maybe in the airlines lounge enjoying an adult beverage, and they are probably still standing at ramp waiting for there gate checked bags to be unloaded with heads hung low, possibly as there next flight is getting ready to depart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
Which is why I carry the co-branded credit card (which insures Group 1 boarding) for the two major airlines I usually fly (American and United), and why I try to upgrade from Economy class whenever feasible. These days that's what it takes if you need to be 100% sure your carryon won't be gate checked. (Avoiding regional jets helps too, but is a lot harder.).
A quick note on that. These credit cards allowing "group 1 boarding" are the biggest rip off that I know. "Group 1" is actually group 4 or 5. First it's "those that need added time" - disabilities and families with babies, then first and business class, then frequent flyers (and, on Delta when you leave from a main hub on a Monday or Friday - it seems 75% of the flyers are frequent flyers), they may further divide it up into high level and low level FFs...only after all that does "group one" board. Gives me a kick each time when these guys flash there credit cards and think they are entitled to board first. Still I guess - it's better than group seven or something. I feel sorry for those guys. Nowadays, with all the full flights., doesn't matter the size of your carry-one - if it doesn't fit under the seat its "gate check" time.

Last edited by Dd714; 04-10-2015 at 07:41 AM..

Old 04-10-2015, 07:51 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,094,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Ahhh the gate check! Those that think carry-on is faster - two words - GATE CHECK! It's a pitiful sight to see those waiting at the exit ramp for there gate checked bags like lost sheep. You have three connections? You may be doing this three times. I'm already at my next gate, maybe on the next flight, maybe in the airlines lounge enjoying an adult beverage, and they are probably still standing at ramp waiting for there gate checked bags to be unloaded with heads hung low, possibly as there next flight is getting ready to depart.
Gate checked bags go onward to the final destination where they are picked up at baggage claim. Valeted bags are brought back to the jet way. Big difference. By the way, on smaller regional's all carry on's that won't fit under the seat are required to be checked. You leave them on the tarmac as you board the plane and then retrieve them from the tarmac when you get off. It's actually a fast and convenient method.

Quote:
A quick note on that. These credit cards allowing "group 1 boarding" are the biggest rip off that I know. "Group 1" is actually group 4 or 5. First it's "those that need added time" - disabilities and families with babies, then first and business class, then frequent flyers (and, on Delta when you leave from a main hub on a Monday or Friday - it seems 75% of the flyers are frequent flyers), they may further divide it up into high level and low level FFs...only after all that does "group one" board. Gives me a kick each time when these guys flash there credit cards and think they are entitled to board first. Still I guess - it's better than group seven or something. I feel sorry for those guys. Nowadays, with all the full flights., doesn't matter the size of your carry-one - if it doesn't fit under the seat its "gate check" time.
Most airlines no long pre-board children unless they are UM's. My home airport is MCO and they stopped doing this years ago because that is 90% of the plane.

I have never seen anyone flash a credit card in my million plus miles of flying. It's automatic when they pay with that card, it's printed on the boarding pass. The only place I've seen a credit card shown is the AmEx Centurian for lounge access.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel