Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2015, 05:30 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,788,932 times

Advertisements

I've decided to henceforth travel only with carry on regardless of length of trip. My new pack of choice is the Osprey Porter 46. Coupled with a small REI Flash 22 daypack (that I can essentially roll up into the main pack) it's plenty!

How many here do carry on ONLY travel for longer international trips (10+ days)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2015, 05:34 PM

61,713 posts, read 87,123,005 times
Done it many, many times!

Old 04-07-2015, 05:57 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,004,968 times
All trips less then 10 day, I the last 20? years or so.

Few longer trips, where I know I would be able to do wash (or have it done cheap).

I have "Taken" bigger bags that required to be checked, but was gifts, or moving "Stuff" thru airline.

My Niece was at boarding school, went out for graduation, seem in 4 years of HS there she seem to collect alot of stuff.

Since Most of us were on SouthWest, I checked two bags, My Son, My Niece, My nephew, my Dad, My sister ...

Her Parents were in UAL so they did not check anything, just carry on.

I think overall we checked 15 bags on SW on Three Different flight.

Old 04-07-2015, 07:42 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,047,890 times
I have not checked baggage in years.

I carry a ReddOxx Airboss and a backpack. This has gotten me through my overseas wedding and honeymoon, several two week scuba trips, two weeks in Turkey, and more business trips than I can count.

There are a few tips that help. Convertible pants are great for dual use as shorts. A willingness to do sink/tub laundry helps. Never bring more than one suit jacket, and don't be afraid of using an iron for dress shirts. No laptops, just an iPad. Wear one pair of shoes, and any other footwear should be limited to sandals, beach shoes, or similarly compact items.

Old 04-07-2015, 08:36 PM

2,918 posts, read 5,608,532 times
I don't actually live anywhere, have been travelling literally 365 days per year for over a decade. So I live out of my suitcase. Everything I own can fit into my carry on luggage. I'll admit I am somewhat of a minimalist, but I don't understand why people feel the need to bring so much crap with them when they travel.

Old 04-07-2015, 09:25 PM

30,636 posts, read 18,227,675 times
I prefer it, whether for a 3 days trip or a 21+ days trip. I hate the hassle that's associated with checking bags, whether or not my ticket includes a "free" checked bag(s). I've had bags delayed, lost, etc. I just like getting off the plane and heading straight to customs/the exist without having to collect a bag. Plus, I don't trust all of the baggage handlers.

Old 04-07-2015, 10:55 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times
I check all bags on Southwest. It makes my walks through airports a lot more easily and have never in 30+ years lost a bag. I would NEVER place anything of value in a checked bag.

Old 04-08-2015, 06:38 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
Depending on my trip I sometimes have to check promotional materials or wine for work. But my clothes and toiletries and other personal stuff hasn't been checked in years. I've done three weeks in a 20" bag and crossbody, and each time I travel I pare it down to bring even less. My next trip that isn't an overnight is a week in four cities, two in CA, one in NY, and one in CT. I need everything from casual to business casual to casual cocktail plus workout clothes. I am planning on my 20" bag and pocketbook, nothing else.

Old 04-08-2015, 07:07 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,892,069 times
Kind of meaningless as nowadays as many peoples definition of "carry-on" is anything smaller then an elephant. In fact is kind of irritating when I come in with my laptop case that I can quickly flip up into a bin or under my seat and then I see Joe New Traveler and his family, each with a "carry-on", taking five minutes to maneuver their kitchen-sinks or whatever they are carrying into an empty bin. Many of these carry-ons end up getting gate checked since flights are almost always full nowadays.

I find it just the opposite, my luggage is not huge, I could carry it on. But I like checking it in because of the nuisance of carrying it around in the airport (particularly if you are changing flights) and then finding room in the plane bins (and that's even with my getting on first and/or with first class upgrades where I have my choice of bin space).

Old 04-08-2015, 07:42 AM

2,605 posts, read 2,711,744 times
For work + little bit of sightseeing, I have been able to get everything in a carryon even for international trips that last 2 weeks. But for family trip I have always had check in bag due to gifts & those tend to be month long.

ONe thing I don't use enough is washing machine to wash my clothes & rewear them during a trip. I use that only when I go for beach /outdoor vacation where things tend to get messy often
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel