Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2015, 04:18 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacanegro View Post
T

You might not feel any sympathy but I am sure traveling is pure hell for an obese person so perhaps a little compassion is in order (although I still don't want to sit next to one).
Feeling bad for their discomfort and wanting equity and a comfortable seat for myself are not mutually exclusive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2015, 04:42 AM

309 posts, read 258,114 times
No, but I think whimpy whiny weaklings who cannot endure their precious comfort threatened for a few hours should not travel. They'd be better off on their couch watching National Geographic.

Old 06-11-2015, 04:48 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,015,105 times
Yes, yes, yes.

Obese people should pay for more room. I travel a lot and I always buy an aisle seat because I know I won't get crammed next to the window or stuck between two people. If you can't fit your butt into a regular airline seat, you need to buy the adjoining seat, go first class, or use an airline that has larger seats.

The thing that gets me is that these people know they're fat and already know they can't fit in the seat and yet they try their hardest to do so. They get the belt extension and that's all find and dandy, but what about the rest of them that is now pooling over on to me? I do not want to fly with someone's fat rolls hanging on me. (nor do I want to fly with someone's long hair flung over the back of their seat or fly next to someone who thinks bathing is an option)

Old 06-11-2015, 06:08 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,381,429 times
Default No

I used to think so, but not anymore. Rather, the AIRLINES need to make the seats bigger and more accommodating for everyone, regardless of size. It's ridiculous that they're trying to streamline the size of the seats making them smaller, with narrower aisles. These planes are designed for narrow pods not people. It's pathetic.

Old 06-11-2015, 06:20 AM

30,633 posts, read 18,214,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusNexus View Post
I used to think so, but not anymore. Rather, the AIRLINES need to make the seats bigger and more accommodating for everyone, regardless of size. It's ridiculous that they're trying to streamline the size of the seats making them smaller, with narrower aisles. These planes are designed for narrow pods not people. It's pathetic.
Even if that means fewer overall seats (and, note, most people can fit in the seats just fine it seems) at higher prices?

Old 06-11-2015, 06:24 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,722,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusNexus View Post
really? But I thought normal people should have a BMI under 25. You can't demand airliners to satisfy the 2% outliners.

I don't want airliners to offer wider seats overall because the airfare would need to rise. And I really don't need that extra 2 inches of seat if I have to pay for that.

Maybe the solution should be to have 20% of economy seats to be wider so that whoever need/want more space may have it, at addition cost of course. A fat person who can't fit the small seat would be required to pay for the bigger ones, so that 100lbs girls don't have to pay more just because some people choose to have a 45 inch waist.

The bottom line is, overweight people are not entitled to have larger space on board for free or subsidized by regular sized passengers.

Old 06-11-2015, 06:26 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,722,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Even if that means fewer overall seats (and, note, most people can fit in the seats just fine it seems) at higher prices?
He either doesn't understand basic economic or expects airlines to take a hit voluntarily (because they are "greedy").

Old 06-11-2015, 06:42 AM

5,570 posts, read 7,271,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Mutt View Post
There is no guarantee Southwest will refund the second seat after the flight. They only refund the second seat if the flight is not completely full.
That's not true.

Quote:
How do I get a refund of my second seat purchase?
Customers who have purchased an additional seat to accommodate a special seating need due to size or disability may request a refund of the additional seat purchase by sending us an e-mail request at southwest.com/feedback or by calling Southwest at 1-800-I-FLY-SWA (1-800-435-9792). Even if the flight experiences an oversale (having more confirmed Customers waiting to board than seats on the aircraft) we will refund the cost of the extra seat(s).

Old 06-11-2015, 06:45 AM

5,570 posts, read 7,271,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
They should have enough room so that they do not impinge on where others are sitting.

When in a plane, I do not want to deal with the thighs, breasts and other bodily parts of another individual. I do not want anyone to touch me.

So if the person's body is so large that contact is possible - yes - they should buy two seats.
Then you'd probably better not fly. Even average sized people frequently are touching the person next to them. The seats are only 17-18" wide.

Old 06-11-2015, 07:01 AM

10,352 posts, read 7,984,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
If first class was only double the economy price, I'd always fly first class.
It's usually several times more.
One thing that Spirit Airlines does which I wish the other carriers would do is supply a few seats which are as wide as a first class seat, but don't come with any first class amenities. The Big Front Seats cost only a bit more than the standard economy seat, not 3-4x as much (the way true first class seats do).

It makes sense to me: if we can have an economy plus section with extra legroom, why not an economy wide section with extra seat width?

It won't completely solve the problem because not everyone who needs such a seat would book one, but it would definitely help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel