Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2015, 04:19 PM

44,359 posts, read 20,063,008 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend and I have planned a dream vacation for fall 2015. We'll spend more than a day in Venice and then will embark on an Adriatic cruise. Ports of call will be: Dubrovnik, Croatia; Athens, Greece; Ephesus, Turkey and Split, Croatia.

When we traveled to Europe in 2013, I resisted the temptation to take my good camera - a Nikon D3100 plus a 55 x 300 zoom lens - because I didn't want to deal with lugging it through airport security and of course wouldn't think of putting such expensive equipment in a checked bag. I opted to take a small pocket camera instead and took some lovely photos with it. However, I really missed having the bigger camera and zoom lens with me.

For the upcoming Adriatic cruise, I feel I'll be sorry if I don't take the big camera and lens. This will be a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to see some of the most beautiful coastal cities in the world, as well as castles, cathedrals, ancient ruins and the like. Great photo ops out the wazoo! Consequently, I've been considering how to go about carrying my big camera through the airports.

My camera bag is a backpack, and my camera equipment takes up the whole thing, leaving no room for other items I want to carry onto the plane, such as one change of clothes, cosmetics and the like. I've been thinking of bubble-wrapping the camera and extra lens and packing it in my regular carry-on bag, sans the backpack.

I'd like to hear from other travelers who have taken their bigger cameras on similar trips. Were you glad you brought it? Did you pack your camera and lens(es) in your carry-on and store it in the overhead bin on the plane? Did you keep it on your person at all times? Did airport security require you to remove the camera for inspection? Please share stories of what did and didn't work for you.

Thanks!

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 06-21-2015, 04:24 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,746,361 times
When I went to China a couple of the people in our group took their nice cameras. Well worth it when you go to the places you are going! You get two carry on items. Can your camera be one and carry another bag?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2015, 05:59 PM

2,218 posts, read 4,371,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJSinger View Post
My camera bag is a backpack, and my camera equipment takes up the whole thing, leaving no room for other items I want to carry onto the plane, such as one change of clothes, cosmetics and the like. I've been thinking of bubble-wrapping the camera and extra lens and packing it in my regular carry-on bag, sans the backpack.
I took my D70 and my 70-200 f/2.8 VR lens when we went to Scotland a few years ago. That lens is pretty big, btw. As I recall, I packed the lens with case in my suitcase around all my clothes and somehow I made it fit. I have a camera backpack which I took with as my second carryon, but I'm able to add a few small things to it (i.e.: a book). I also took my 50mm f/1.4 prime lens in the camera bag, and used it a few times for indoor shots.

Quote:
I'd like to hear from other travelers who have taken their bigger cameras on similar trips. Were you glad you brought it?
YES! Absolutely. I took some great pictures with it.

Quote:
Did you pack your camera and lens(es) in your carry-on and store it in the overhead bin on the plane?
Yes.

Quote:
Did you keep it on your person at all times?
Yes, or in the B&B room when I knew we would not need it.

Quote:
Did airport security require you to remove the camera for inspection?
No. I just put it through the x-ray along with the rest of my stuff.

Quote:
Please share stories of what did and didn't work for you.
I've taken the D70, and now its successor the D7000, with on many trips. It's a hassle to carry around all the time, even with the backpack. But when I don't have it there's usually a shot that I try to take with the small point-and-shoot that makes me regret not having my good camera.

Old 06-21-2015, 06:42 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,839,738 times
I'm married to a photography professor who tends to bring the good camera and pretty big lens assortment on his trips. So I'm biased and say definitely bring the nice DSLR.

These days, a number of companies make camera/lens bag inserts that can turn any bag into a camera bag for time spent on a plane. Here's one I've got for my messenger bag, though I'll note it's a little on the bulky side:

http://www.amazon.com/Timbuk2-TSIC-S.../dp/B00714FK2G

For time spent on the town, I shove the camera in my purse when I'm not actively taking pictures. (Have a DSLR of my own because the perfesser was taking advantage of some sort of 'buy a camera, get a huge discount on exotic lenses' deal so it was effectively free.) I'm not paranoid about theft, but the camera looks like it's a nice bit of electronics so I prefer not to carry it around in the open when I'm not actively taking pictures.

Old 06-21-2015, 06:44 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,818,113 times
You can have a carry on and a rather largish handbag, so put the camera in the carry on, and put your cosmetics in the handbag. Your boyfriend can have a carry on also, so have him carry everything else you need.

I would not put the camera in checked baggage, I actually would not have any checked baggage if I was debarking for something like a cruise as it would be difficult to get your checked bag to you if it got delayed or lost.

Old 06-21-2015, 08:26 PM

19,437 posts, read 27,838,210 times
Be warned: More and more frequently, carry on luggage isn't making it into the overheads. If the plane is full, some of that carryon is getting pulled out of the line before you get on board and loaded into cargo.

Keep the camera equipment with you in the backpack along with the prescription drugs. Clothes, makeup, etc can be replaced. Or get the boyfriend a carryon AND backpack and let him have it.

Old 06-21-2015, 08:32 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,818,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Be warned: More and more frequently, carry on luggage isn't making it into the overheads. If the plane is full, some of that carryon is getting pulled out of the line before you get on board and loaded into cargo.

Keep the camera equipment with you in the backpack along with the prescription drugs. Clothes, makeup, etc can be replaced. Or get the boyfriend a carryon AND backpack and let him have it.
Not too much of an issue on international flights as they come with a checked baggage allowance. The domestic flights however, yea, the pay to check has gotten the carry on area very crowded.

Old 06-22-2015, 03:36 AM

16,671 posts, read 17,435,450 times
Hi Pam- definitely worth bringing a proper camera with extra lens etc.

I have carried mine as hand luggage but as others have indicated it may be worth packing the equipment in among your clothes in the checked in luggage. That being the case I'd fit the case with an approved TSA lock.

If the camera itself goes in checked in luggage then I think you may need to remove the battery from it(?).

In Venice get out and about early and late when the crowds have died down for photo opportunities!

From what I've heard Dubrovnik town centre can get a bit busy especially if there are a few cruise ships docked at the same time.

For Athens make sure you have enough euros on you for the day and not look to get some out of an ATM- they might have run out of money by then!

What a fantastic photo trip!

Old 06-22-2015, 07:46 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,892,069 times
The Nikkon D300, as an entry level DSLR, isn't exactly that expensive where you need to worry about it to the extreme. I might risk checking it in if you are not going through CDG (if you are changing planes there, forget it, they will lose your luggage for sure). The lens, not sure, that might be more expensive then the camera, maybe carry that. You also want a backup camera - a compact camera or your smart phone camera will do, just in case. None will match the quality of your SLR of course. Do you have a wide angle lens or just that 55-300?

One word for those that want to carry a full frame camera - mirrorless. My Sony nex-6 is amazing and I will match the quality against any SLR. And it fits into the pocket, well at least a cargo pocket, with a pancake lense.

edit to above: I must have been thinking of a cheaper model nikon (d3300?), no don't check the D300 in. You might want to consider those dedicated back-packs (lowepro,etc) for cameras that also have space for personal items.

Old 06-22-2015, 08:34 AM

5,570 posts, read 7,273,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJSinger View Post
I've been thinking of bubble-wrapping the camera and extra lens and packing it in my regular carry-on bag, sans the backpack.
No need for bubble wrap. Wrap it in the extra clothes that you're planning on carrying. Even if you need to use the extra clothes mid-trip, you can wrap the camera in the clothes you change out of. Pack the camera bag flat in your checked bag.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel