Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2015, 01:18 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,922,321 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Hmmm, I've stayed at plenty of hotels in Europe and they all had keycards--including some which were historic properties. The only time we've had keys was when we've rented a flat. I think we had one B&B in the US with metal keys, although I freely admit we've only stayed in a handful of them. One that I stayed at in Canada didn't even have keyed locks on the doors. You could lock from inside, but with the little turn thing on the knob, not a key or deadbolt.
This was my last metal key experience, just a few weeks ago: Hotel San Cassiano on the Grand Canal Venice - Official Site
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2015, 05:48 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,003,003 times
I'm just back from a six-week trip through nine countries, and never saw an electronic key card once. Except one place, with a gadget attached to the keyring, to buzz open the outer door to get in off the street, in Odessa. (I still have it, I neglected to return it.)

Old 08-28-2015, 09:05 PM

31,292 posts, read 20,749,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Hmmm, I've stayed at plenty of hotels in Europe and they all had keycards--including some which were historic properties.
I stayed in some as recently as last year that had the big old metal keys and we left them at the front desk.

Here is just one example;

Hotel Schloss Dürnstein

Old 08-28-2015, 09:13 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,922,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
I stayed in some as recently as last year that had the big old metal keys and we left them at the front desk.

Here is just one example;

Hotel Schloss Dürnstein
Yep, the Schloss Durnstein is fit for a king and has metal keys.

Old 08-30-2015, 10:06 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,305,026 times
More:
Boise
New Orleans

Less:
San Diego (it's one place I never had the urge to re-visit)

Old 08-30-2015, 11:26 AM

223 posts, read 321,583 times
Better:
Antwerp
Edinburgh

Worse:
Amsterdam. It was just underwhelming.
Dublin - doesn't really feel like a big city should IMO

Old 08-30-2015, 03:57 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,649,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Maybe because Austria is obviously Western Europe?

Just chiming in to say that I still didn't like London that much when it wasn't raining. It's so ridiculously expensive - much more so than other cities of its own league, id est Paris. It's not even about GBP being a lot stronger than Euro, I just don't get why many of the sight-seeing spots charge that much.

Oh and the public transportation is just as unreasonably pricey: the metro system, while pretty decent, is so, so, so, so expensive. Don't even get me started on the trains to somewhere else(eg Cambridge), it was like 3 times as expensive as the ones in France.

I guess I'm just on some sort of hating-London rampage. Sorry if anyone here is a big fan of the city.
And I don't think I'll ever visit Switzerland or Norway. London is bad enough, I don't need some Zurich or Oslo prices. Ew.
I'm not a huge fan of London, but I just got back from there. Yes, it's expensive, but did you not get the Oyster Card? That gives you unlimited rides in Zones 1 and 2 for 6.70 GBP a day and reduced fare for national trains. As for attractions, the London Pass is a good deal. Still, expensive city though.

Old 08-30-2015, 04:03 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,649,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Yes these places are free, but I was referring to Tower of London, Westminster Abbey, St Paul's Cathedral etc. The admission fee of these monuments ranges from 15-20 pounds, which is really expensive imo. Whereas the monuments in Paris are about half of that amount, considering how weak Euro is compares to GBP, it's about a third as expensive.

I've never been to NYC so I can't comment on that, but compared to Paris, London Underground is much, much more expensive.
We walked a lot too, but the rain made the walking a lot less pleasant than it was supposed to be, just bad luck I guess.

I guess I'm just from a poor country. Sorry about that.
With the exception of St. Paul's, you could have seen those attractions and many, many more for "free" with the London Pass (once you paid for the pass of course).

Old 08-30-2015, 04:44 PM

8,866 posts, read 8,450,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
I'm not a huge fan of London, but I just got back from there. Yes, it's expensive, but did you not get the Oyster Card? That gives you unlimited rides in Zones 1 and 2 for 6.70 GBP a day and reduced fare for national trains. As for attractions, the London Pass is a good deal. Still, expensive city though.
I did buy an Oyster card but I wasn't aware of the reduced fare. Maybe because mine was a tourist card instead of a regular one? All I can remember is that I had to top it up over and over again, which was pretty annoying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
With the exception of St. Paul's, you could have seen those attractions and many, many more for "free" with the London Pass (once you paid for the pass of course).
Yeah, we did think about getting the London Pass, but after contemplating, we decided not to as there's a high chance that we might not visit many of the listed attractions due to various reasons.

And frankly the pass was also crazy expensive. The 6 days one costs like 150 pounds.

Old 08-30-2015, 04:53 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,849,024 times
Current cost of the six day London Pass without transportation option is £98.60 per their web site.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel