Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2015, 08:56 AM

1,601 posts, read 2,983,153 times

Advertisements

I know that the internet is strongly monitored and limited/blocked in China, meaning that we won't be able to access Facebook, Google/Gmail, etc while on a WiFi network. BUT, if we have an ATT international data plan from the US on our US iPhones, can we use the data to access Facebook via the app or Gmail? We are hearing both that we can and that we cannot.

I'm assuming there will be no issues with any of it in Thailand?

Thanks for any information you can give!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2015, 10:38 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,054,000 times
I haven't used ATT international, cuz ATT US will not get service at my USA home.

Do you have a replaceable SIM? If traveling much... you can get a multi SIM phone for ~$100 in China. and they have Multi SIM adaptors for US Apple products.

Usually you just buy one SIM (data and voice) in each country for about $10 - $30 USD/ month and use local carriers. Depends where you are, but I usually used China Mobile.

I lived in both China and Thailand last yr and had only limited trouble with access while in China. Hopefully you have some 'linked' accts to other web-based email services if Google gets more crossways with China.. IIRC, my Yahoo mail was more often blocked than was my gmail. Rare occasion I would use a VPN from a 'free' country and leap the censorship,

I bought 3 homes in USA while living in Asia, so I had lots of transactions over various email services.

Old 09-02-2015, 12:45 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,892,069 times
I don't think you can get around the "great firewall of China" without a VPN. I would never try it on my phone, I just turned data off in China like I do for all my international trips. An American data plan I think will just default to roaming China service and will be extremely expensive (in fact I would get text messages when I landed explaining how it all worked, it was clear you aren't on the same service).
Your best plan is to use hotel wifi, it will still be blocking and monitored, but in most cases it's free.

Old 09-02-2015, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
I don't think you can get around the "great firewall of China" without a VPN. I would never try it on my phone, I just turned data off in China like I do for all my international trips. An American data plan I think will just default to roaming China service and will be extremely expensive (in fact I would get text messages when I landed explaining how it all worked, it was clear you aren't on the same service).
Your best plan is to use hotel wifi, it will still be blocking and monitored, but in most cases it's free.

No, I've used the ATT international data plan all over the world and it's just like they say it is....it uses the local service provider and as long as you don't go over the amount of data you pay for (I think my plan was $50-60 for however much data it was--it lasted me two weeks in the Middle East), you just pay the flat rate. That includes unlimited texting (pictures and videos too) and cheap minutes for calling.

Old 09-02-2015, 01:51 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,892,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RooCeleste View Post
No, I've used the ATT international data plan all over the world and it's just like they say it is....it uses the local service provider and as long as you don't go over the amount of data you pay for (I think my plan was $50-60 for however much data it was--it lasted me two weeks in the Middle East), you just pay the flat rate. That includes unlimited texting (pictures and videos too) and cheap minutes for calling.
That's Verizon for you. I think we have an international plan as well. I just never checked it out.
Otherwise China, even with the firewall (and getting around it is becoming so common it's a joke now), is very hooked up - Everyone has a cell phone and it seems they are always texting or looking up something.

Old 09-05-2015, 05:59 AM

43,663 posts, read 44,393,687 times
A former colleague/friend of mine used a T-Mobile international data plan in China and was able to use Western media normally with it.

If you want to ensure usage of Western media sites in China, one needs to install VPN software (& pay for VPN service) on one's phone before arriving in China.

Old 09-08-2015, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
A former colleague/friend of mine used a T-Mobile international data plan in China and was able to use Western media normally with it.

If you want to ensure usage of Western media sites in China, one needs to install VPN software (& pay for VPN service) on one's phone before arriving in China.
So with VPN app (likely Betternet) on my iPhone, will the VPN app be running data on top of whatever data the app I'm trying to access uses?

Old 09-09-2015, 06:30 AM

43,663 posts, read 44,393,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RooCeleste View Post
So with VPN app (likely Betternet) on my iPhone, will the VPN app be running data on top of whatever data the app I'm trying to access uses?
I don't know.

Old 09-10-2015, 05:23 PM

7,668 posts, read 5,260,330 times
Buy a Chinese simcard with international plan.

Old 09-22-2015, 09:14 AM

Update.....I used Betternet free VPN on my phone and was able to access everything just as though I was at home, regardless of whether I was using data or on Wifi. It worked wonderfully!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel