Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2014, 09:13 AM

8,051 posts, read 12,767,329 times

Advertisements

I just booked a flight on Orbitz and it didn't show the time between flights until I got my itinerary. It shows I have 32 minutes to get to my flight after I arrive at Detroit.

Every time I have been through detroit the plane arriving from Nashville parked at concourse A and my departing flight left from concourse C.

There are flights later in the day if I miss this one however I would hate to try to rebook the flight if there is a chance I could make it. They do have the "moving walkways" at Detroit and if I can get off the plane in a reasonably quick time I think I could make it. Any thoughts? Should I try to rebook?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2014, 09:24 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,828,258 times
Delta's minimum legal connection time is apparently 30 minutes there for domestic to domestic at DTW, but that's too tight for my comfort, especially with a terminal change. IIRC, you should have 24 hours after purchase to change the ticket to get you a bigger gap without paying a fee (though you may end up paying a fare difference).

Old 04-05-2014, 09:31 AM

32,636 posts, read 47,995,345 times
Just one more reason to not over-burden yourself with carry-ons. Running through the airport with a small light bag is easier than running through the airport carrying a huge 40 pound suitcase, a computer, a jacket, a pillow, a purse, and a shopping bag full of snacks.

Old 04-05-2014, 10:03 AM

I just cancelled and rebooked through Orbitz for an earlier flight. I am wondering if I will have to pay a "change fee" to the airline. The woman I "spoke" to at Orbitz customer service didn't have very good english language skills. She did manage to communicate that I would not have to pay an orbitz fee however I am wondering if Delta airline will charge. I cancelled the trip within an hour of booking.

Old 04-05-2014, 10:50 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,828,258 times
If Delta charges a fee to cancel the ticket, then they're in violation of US law (Orbitz may or may not be able charge the fee since they aren't actually the airline)

New Airline Passenger Protections Take Effect This Week | Department of Transportation

Quote:
Also beginning this week, passengers will be able to hold a reservation without payment, or cancel a booking without penalty, for 24 hours after the reservation is made, if they make the reservation one week or more prior to a flight’s departure date. In addition, airlines will be required to promptly notify passengers of flight delays of over 30 minutes, as well as flight cancellations and diversions, and they will generally be prohibited from increasing the price of passengers’ ticket after it is bought.

Old 04-05-2014, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
If Delta charges a fee to cancel the ticket, then they're in violation of US law (Orbitz may or may not be able charge the fee since they aren't actually the airline)

New Airline Passenger Protections Take Effect This Week | Department of Transportation
Unfortunately the flight I booked was for Thursday of next week so it was only five days away. I did get on orbitz chat and they assured me that I would not have to pay a fee. I guess I will have to wait and see.

I don't know why these airlines think that 30 minutes is enough time when the planes start boarding 30 minutes before departure. From recent experience people are SLOWWWWW getting off of planes for some reason and realistically I would only have about 15 minutes to make my way to the other gate.

Old 04-05-2014, 12:07 PM

2,533 posts, read 4,602,254 times
I don't book flights with anything less than a 90 minute connection anymore.

I learned that lesson 2 years ago when the plane coming to Savannah, GA was delayed by an hour.

It showed up late... I was late arriving in Houston and missed my connection to Seattle which got me a free night in a cheap hotel.

I wasn't as excited about that as I was when I bought the ticket thinking my 45 minute layover in Houston was an awesome deal.

Old 04-05-2014, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kees View Post
I don't book flights with anything less than a 90 minute connection anymore.

I learned that lesson 2 years ago when the plane coming to Savannah, GA was delayed by an hour.

It showed up late... I was late arriving in Houston and missed my connection to Seattle which got me a free night in a cheap hotel.

I wasn't as excited about that as I was when I bought the ticket thinking my 45 minute layover in Houston was an awesome deal.
I recently had a "tight" connection through Detroit because my departure from Nashville was delayed. I didn't enjoy it at all. I had less than 30 minutes to get to the gate and had to go to the bathroom on the way. When I arrived the plane was waiting for me but I was the last guy on and it wasn't fun. I am thinking an hour is reasonable.

Old 04-05-2014, 08:55 PM

19,432 posts, read 27,819,296 times
Ever wonder how airline companies get away with so much overbooking? It's because they KNOW that people try to minimize their stopover times so much that some WILL miss the flight. So there are always seats for other passengers.

With only 32 minutes, if you're arriving flight gets held up taxiing to the gate for ten minutes, you're going to miss your connection. Not your fault, OP, and I give you kudos for changing your flight. But the airlines KNOW this.

Sixty minutes minimum for us. Unless it's an international connection. The connection time increases for those, depending on the airport.

Old 04-06-2014, 03:04 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,009,922 times
I'd say no as well and I see that you changed your flight. Good thinking. Anything less than an hour is just asking for trouble. I learned my lesson the hard way and now it's no less than an hour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel