Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 05:37 AM

1,583 posts, read 3,676,907 times

Advertisements

I'm going to be taking a flight from NYC to San Francisco that connects to Seoul, South Korea.
How early should I arrive at the airport for the JFK-SFO flight? Usually you're supposed to be there earlier for international flights, but this wouldn't be considered "international", right? Or is it because it's one fare for two planes?
Might be a dumb question but I'm wondering because they have to transfer my luggage, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2011, 06:27 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,924,278 times
JFK-SFO is considered domestic and you don't have to get there early

I have never been in SFO but I'm guessing you'll probably have to change terminals, so from SFO-ICN you're going to want to check in the 90 mins early

Old 03-29-2011, 06:49 AM

9,317 posts, read 20,998,847 times
Check the airline's website and/or call them, More then likely they will need to see your passport/visa's @ JFK (and prob SFO) again. They might check them at Check-in (Landside) or at the gate. If they do it at Check-in plan extra time to get thru the process. The lines @ JFK Lines Move VERY slow. At SFO if you are connecting on same airline, it will normaly be in the same terminal. But going from airline to airline you may have to change terminals. and re-clear secuity.

Old 03-29-2011, 07:33 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,869,842 times
If you are ticketed all the way thru then when you first check-in for your first flight in NYC they will check your passport. You are checking your luggage all the way thru, correct. That means that you will not be claiming your luggage in SFO and then re-checking it. So they WILL be making sure that you are clear to travel international when you first check-in and check your luggage in NYC. So you do need to arrive the required time alloted for international flights when you get to the airport in NYC.

You don't always have to clear security at the airport w/ a change in terminals. This is why they check your passport when you FIRST arrive for your first flight of your trip. It depends on how the airport is set up, though. You can call the airline and ask them and they should be able to tell you. You still want to allow for enough time to change planes and all in SFO though just in case anything comes up.

Old 03-29-2011, 07:35 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,869,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
JFK-SFO is considered domestic and you don't have to get there early

WRONG!
If all flights are on one ticket then it IS considered an international flight and they DO need to get there early. They are most likely checking their bags all the way thru to Seoul (if not they really should). Therefore, the airline WILL be checking their passport for the first leg of their trip.

Old 03-29-2011, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
WRONG!
If all flights are on one ticket then it IS considered an international flight and they DO need to get there early. They are most likely checking their bags all the way thru to Seoul (if not they really should). Therefore, the airline WILL be checking their passport for the first leg of their trip.
Technically I'm not wrong, but I do admit my information COULD be wrong now that I think about it. It just depends if he changes airlines or not.

If the OP flies JFK-SFO via delta and then takes Korean Air to ICN, then he would be considered a domestic flight. If he gets on Korean Air in JFK then it would be considered an international flight if its the same ticket.

Old 03-29-2011, 08:11 AM

If the flight is ticketed on 1 ticket with a connection @ SFO to a code/share or one that the airline interchanges baggage to, then the flight out of JFK would be international for check-in. In my above post i was think LAX for some reason. At SFO you will stay inside secure area so you will not have to re-clear security as long as are on 1 ticket. , you may have to change 'arms' terminals.

Old 03-29-2011, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
If the flight is ticketed on 1 ticket with a connection @ SFO to a code/share or one that the airline interchanges baggage to, then the flight out of JFK would be international for check-in. In my above post i was think LAX for some reason. At SFO you will stay inside secure area so you will not have to re-clear security as long as are on 1 ticket. , you may have to change 'arms' terminals.
I have never flown using a code share airline, but why would it still be an international check in? Wouldn't it just be boarded like a typical domestic flight?

Old 03-29-2011, 08:36 AM

Because the bags are check stright thru, They need to know you are allow on the international flight. If they take you all the way to International destanation, and you dont have a passport and/or visa needed to get into that country. The Airline has to transport you back on there dime, Also If they didn't check when you 1st check in and did the check-in when you are about to get onto the international flight and you dont have the correct paperwork, they would have to pull your bags off the plane. That takes time, and is alot of work to find the bags and pull them off. On long hual inthernationa most of the bags are containerized. Make pulling bags out a little easyer but they might have to pull out many can's to find the one your bag(s) are in.

Old 03-29-2011, 09:01 AM

4,306 posts, read 13,469,948 times
Unless you buy two separate tickets the whole trip would be considered an international flight and for those you usually have to check in three hours ahead of the first flight, domestic or not. Even if you're flying two different airlines. Flyonpa is absolutely right about the bags being checked all the way thro to your final destination. A couple of years ago I flew to New Zealand via San Francisco. The first part of the flight was on United and domestic, the second part on Air New Zealand and the flight was International and I didn't see my suitcase between checking it and when I landed in Auckland 18 hours later.

If you bought two entirely separate tickets then when you land at your first airport, you'd probably have to collect your suitcase, go out to the departures hall and then stand in line to check in for your second flight (the international leg).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel