Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2015, 11:40 AM

7,668 posts, read 5,260,330 times

Advertisements

No that hotel is booked up already. I've already seen it.

There is nice hotels in a place called Lake Geneva but it's too far away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2015, 11:43 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,560,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sickandtiredofthis View Post
No that hotel is booked up already. I've already seen it.

There is nice hotels in a place called Lake Geneva but it's too far away.
Then I guess you're out of luck. Maybe go to NY instead of whining about the slums of WI.

Old 09-12-2015, 11:49 AM

2,518 posts, read 5,357,099 times
Quote:
I live in Northern Ireland and we manage to have 4 star hotels. America promotes itself on it's grandeur so I am shocked to find basic hotels.

I have tried to lower my standards but I can't find a clean, decent hotel. They're all either dated or they've got rotting interiors, I have stayed in 3* hotels before and i've been fine - the only difference being that these hotels were new and had a clean, modern interior.
You're serious? I'm English and only occasionally see ads or mentions where America (do you mean the US?) "promotes itself on its grandeur". These are for places such as the Hamptons, Newport RI, Charleston SC.

You can't know much about the US if you expect to find "grandeur" all across the country. I love Wisconsin, it's probably the state I'd live in if I had a choice.

Old 09-12-2015, 11:52 AM

I'll have to think about it. I think I might just cut out the Wisconsin bit or go to Milwakee and stay there.

We're only going there because my dad wants to go to an airshow, it's not our kind of place. We've been trying to get him to change to another airshow in a more appropriate location.

Old 09-12-2015, 12:07 PM

16,671 posts, read 17,435,450 times
I think you need to go to some places where it's more like 'slumming it' in order to get a better perspective on things.

To some you might come across as spoilt (spoiled?).

Old 09-12-2015, 12:37 PM

No? We stay in mid range hotels (4*), I don't expect 5* treatment.

Anyway, we're still searching - we seen a nice one in a place called 'Nenagh' but it was booked up.

Old 09-12-2015, 12:51 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,560,145 times
Quote:

Anyway, we're still searching - we seen a nice one in a place called 'Nenagh' but it was booked up.
It's Neenah. Here's a tip: when trying to get a room for the EAA anywhere in the vicinity, you're going to find it booked, although I have no idea how far in advance you can book a room for it. If you can't handle staying in a place that isn't 4 star, then you're out of luck. Get a room in Milwaukee & make the 1 1/2 hour drive.

Old 09-12-2015, 12:53 PM

Yeah we're looking now 10 months in advance so we thought we'd find something. I am now going to look at condos.

Old 09-12-2015, 01:08 PM

4 posts, read 5,649 times
500,000 people go to that airshow, in a town of 50,000. Do you really expect a small town in Wisconsin to have enough 4-star rooms for everyone who wants them, for one huge event?

Vacation rentals by owner, AirBnB, etc. Those houses on Airbnb going for $350/night are basic middle-class houses, at best they're nice as a 3-star hotel without any housekeeping to tidy up, no room service, no breakfast to your door or continental breakfast, etc. The service will be motel-level (nonexistent), but nicer-equipped. Typical $200,000 houses. More space than a 3-star, but I wouldn't say "nicer".

Old 09-12-2015, 01:10 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Quote:
4 star hotels is considered high end not mid range. Most American non-business travelers won't stay in those regularly while traveling except for special occasions. They're usually limited to resort areas or big cities; though I found a couple near me that hotels.com rated 3.5 stars whatever that means.

If it's the decor you're objecting for, trying avoiding chains. Local independent inns generally have more character. Here are four star hotels in Wisconsin, they're almost all either in Milwaukee or in resorts:

Best Hotels in Wisconsin | U.S.News
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel