Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2015, 02:16 AM

5,511 posts, read 4,476,539 times

Advertisements

If the price comparisons for 2 rooms of the same hotel are the same, but 1 has 1 bed, the other has 2, of the same size, any reason to go for one over the other? The former may have more floor space without the bed (assuming the rooms are the same size), but the latter I guess may be useful to put stuff on there to act as furniture for the cheaper hotels which tend to skimp on that.

A minor thing, but still interested in hearing any thoughts to this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2015, 03:04 AM

2,605 posts, read 2,711,744 times
Most hotels don't give me the option. I often end up with double bed without being asked. I do love being able to spread my things out on one bed, maybe even watch tv / work on my laptop in one bed & then sleep in the clean untouched bed.

to be honest, I find the single bed to be too big if I am by myself. Plus from sitting on bed while watching tv and working on my laptop, I tend to ruin my sleep.

I usually tell them, any is good

Old 10-08-2015, 06:29 AM

620 posts, read 638,890 times
No preference for me, either way. Whether there's one bed or two, I only use one of them. The only time I might have a preference is if I'm staying in NYC in a very tiny room and space is at a premium.

Old 10-08-2015, 06:51 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,004,968 times
Seems the Rooms with one Bed seems to be a King, vs two Queens, or the Room is a little smaller in square footage.

So you don't get that much extra space in the room, . Sometimes the One bed room is a few dollars cheaper. But not enough to make a difference.

Old 10-08-2015, 09:35 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,726,313 times
That's a problem with traveling in America.

When I went to Japan, or Italy/Turkey/Spain/other Europe countries, or S America, they have plenty of small hotels that offer single bed rooms (twin bed, not even double), so for a solo traveler, it is very cost effective cuz all I need is a bed to crash and a toilet/shower. All the other space is a waste.

In the US, usually most rooms have two double beds, or an expensive King bed. So even for a mid size city, you need to pay more than $100 for one night.

Old 10-08-2015, 10:49 AM

2,122 posts, read 1,794,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
That's a problem with traveling in America.

When I went to Japan, or Italy/Turkey/Spain/other Europe countries, or S America, they have plenty of small hotels that offer single bed rooms (twin bed, not even double), so for a solo traveler, it is very cost effective cuz all I need is a bed to crash and a toilet/shower. All the other space is a waste.

In the US, usually most rooms have two double beds, or an expensive King bed. So even for a mid size city, you need to pay more than $100 for one night.
The number of beds or even the size of the room generally has no effect on the price of the room. Popularity of the destination and amenities provided are the bigger determinations of room cost.

One thing I have noticed is that hotels in some cities are charging more if you want a room with two beds instead of one. I'm used to seeing extra charges for more than 2 adults in a room but this trend of charging more for a second bed doesn't seem to make sense.

Old 10-08-2015, 11:14 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,838,210 times
I prefer one bed, whether I am traveling alone or with DH. I prefer the extra space in the room when there is only one bed. And, if I'm traveling single, it's nice to have all that empty bed space that is usually taken up by DH and dog!

Old 10-08-2015, 08:43 PM

27,345 posts, read 27,400,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post
If the price comparisons for 2 rooms of the same hotel are the same, but 1 has 1 bed, the other has 2, of the same size, any reason to go for one over the other? The former may have more floor space without the bed (assuming the rooms are the same size), but the latter I guess may be useful to put stuff on there to act as furniture for the cheaper hotels which tend to skimp on that.

A minor thing, but still interested in hearing any thoughts to this.
Im really not too choosy, whether I get one or two beds. Ive never really paid attention to the room size, but chances are the less furniture, the less space? Though Im solo, my focus is the free breakfast and its a smoke free room. Thats all I ask for.

Old 10-08-2015, 11:40 PM

1,892 posts, read 2,533,643 times
Doesn't really matter too much to me. The additional floor space, if any, with a single bed is negligible when it comes to my comfort. If I had to chose I'd chose two beds, just because I like to put my suitcase and clothes on the bed I don't sleep on.

Old 10-09-2015, 12:39 AM

82 posts, read 70,726 times
I rarely have a room with only one bed, but then I don't travel as much as the average person. I like the 2nd bed because I can lay everything out and it's easy to find, and easy to repack from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel