Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2016, 03:24 PM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
Sounds like you are suggesting something on the order of two rights to make a wrong...it wasn't a situation in which to start a debate, much less and argument.
Exactly. For one thing, I needed to get to Gatwick on time.

I didn't take offense at his perception, but rathercI found it interesting. And since he lived in London, maybe he wasn't all that keen on his homeland, either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2016, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
This.

Also interesting is that local people in tourist destinations popular with Chinese will say the exact same thing, everywhere from The Philippines to Hawaii to Thailand. My wife and I were sitting chatting with a shop owner in Taiwan earlier this year and he was pointing out the Chinese tourists standing around the hotel across the street, bunch of guys standing there with their shirts bunched up to their chest so their bellies could cool off. He said (loosely translated) that mainland Chinese tourists lacked culture.

Many Chinese tourists are so loud, it doesn't matter if it is 5:30 am if they have two rooms opposite each other they'll have both doors open shouting back and forth. They spit a lot, they smoke in places that are non-smoking, they completely ignore if someone else is waiting for something and will just shove their way in. I've been waiting at a street vendor for the person in front of me to pay and had 6 Chinese women just crowd in front. Elevator opens they aren't waiting for people to exit, just start pushing in. We've been in planes where as soon as wheels touch ground several older Chinese people are standing up to get their bags down, right on the runway and despite the lady saying in Mandarin over and over for them to sit the hell down until it stops at the gate.

Of course this isn't all of them, and even the ones I'm talking about are really nice people if you get to talking to them it is just a cultural thing.
That is just how the Chinese are. It's not rudeness. They have no concept of waiting in line. My dd was living there for a year. She took a bus trip somewhere on a tour. Everyone had a ticket with an assigned seat, and when the bus came, they STILL pushed and shoved one another to get on first.

She took a subway to work, and sometimes she would get annoyed enough at the pushing and shoving that she would yell, "when are you all going to learn to behave like civilized people on public transportation?" I asked her what the reaction was, and she laughed said "Shock that the tall blonde American was fluent in Mandarin."

Old 01-17-2016, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
They're just scared of Americans

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7APmRkatEU
Love that song and the video. They used the song on an episode of Person of Interest when the CIA was trying to kill Reese, who had been one of their own.

Old 01-17-2016, 05:44 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,496,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
That is just how the Chinese are. It's not rudeness. They have no concept of waiting on line.
Fixed it for you

Old 01-18-2016, 01:34 PM

8,886 posts, read 4,583,975 times
Quote:
Fixed it for you

?????????

Old 01-18-2016, 07:46 PM

J
Quote:
Fixed it for you
Hahahahaha how did you know I had changed it to "in"?

Yes, in NJ we wait ON line. I was trying to conform.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel