Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2016, 11:25 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedimenjerry View Post
the middle of the desert with an hour to the nearest hotel is no place to realize you can't handle all the driving.
And then you find out the hotel doesnt take dogs so you go to another hotel and find the same story so you end up sleeping in the car with the dog.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2016, 11:44 PM

29 posts, read 20,577 times
Thanks for all your input. The more the merrier.. I am going to take this weekend to organize a more structured plan. So keep the advice coming. Want to make the best of it.

Old 04-06-2016, 12:49 AM

92 posts, read 94,654 times
I am unclear if you are planning to drive both ways. According to map quest MIA to LAX is 41 hrs of driving. Hell it about 10 or so hrs to Pensacola from Miami.

Old 04-06-2016, 05:01 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,846,967 times
Although you are calling this a road trip, it really is more of a marathon drive. I've driven cross country twice, and it is a very long trip. You figure, you will only drive about 10 hours a day, maybe 12, then you will need to crash. The trip usually takes about 40 hours, so that is over 3 days of driving, more like 4, and that is not taking time to sight see, just time behind the wheel.

If you really want a road trip, take a couple of weeks and see some of the country. My Son and I just recently bought a car in Pa and drove it non stop back to Florida. The trip was 20 hours of straight driving, taking turns behind the wheel, and we were beat when we got back. You will be in no condition to relax when you do hit California.

Don

Old 04-06-2016, 01:04 PM

18,759 posts, read 11,798,566 times
I can't imagine doing that drive in two days. I was in my 20's when I moved myself back from California and it took three days to get back to Chicago. Granted I was driving a pretty big rental truck and towing my car, but once you get on 80 it's straight ahead for hours and hours of boring, tedious driving.

If you only have three days to enjoy California then my advice would be to fly there and rent a car to drive around. California is big and three days just isn't enough to see the sights.

I was driving home with a dog and a cat when I moved back to Illinois. That meant sleeping in my car or the truck for three nights. It isn't that easy finding a place that will take pets. I understand your wanting to have an adventure, but you need to do your home work on this one.

Old 04-06-2016, 02:06 PM

29 posts, read 20,577 times
Yes I completely understand and agree. That's why I'm taking my time to organize this a few months ahead.. And asking for help on here from people who have accomplished this feat before.. Looks like I will have to leave the cross country tour four next year, when I get a full two weeks to enjoy.. But for now, want to focus on this year.

Old 04-06-2016, 07:23 PM

7,778 posts, read 6,390,372 times
The most direct route would be Fl turnpike to I-10 which goes directly into LA. I have driven I-10 many times and there is a lot of desolate country out there. From San Antonio west you are in the southwest, towns are further apart. I remember a sign that said "next rest area 180 miles". AZ, New Mex, and the California Mojave are mostly desert.

I can not imagine driving it non-stop. You dog will not be welcome in all hotels.

It might be cheaper and quicker to fly out, rent a car and fly home. You would have more time in Calif if you did.

Old 04-09-2016, 08:00 PM

1,764 posts, read 1,672,717 times
This may have been mentioned but is there anyone that can go with you ? Share the driving and gas expense. The idea of an RV is a great idea and would work out better for your dog, too, would need to be a round trip.
I know you mentioned about driving to L.A. then flying back but what about your dog? on a plane - that's a long flight. You mentioned researching that, any info ?

Do you have an auto club membership or AAA they have books, maps all kinda of info that may be helpful for this trip. What about doing a shorter trip first and kinda get an idea of what works/doesn't.

You're 23 - go have fun !

Old 04-10-2016, 09:06 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,134,708 times
Fly to California, rent a car and THEN go roadtripping. You're underestimating how big California is.

Old 04-10-2016, 10:44 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,278,266 times
A coast to coast drive remains one of my fantasies but it has not happened yet. Nobody wants to come with me and I am not that motivated to go it alone. Have you done long distance driving at all? Do you have the stamina for it? Do you know your limits? I have done long distance driving. 500 miles a day is all you want to count on. It may not sound much for a day but you have to wake up and do it all over again day after day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel