Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2016, 11:55 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,064,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
...Here's another one of those "insider" tips: ever since the Titanic, ships are stocked with enough lifeboats for everyone on board. Or, if you're too impatient to wait for them to lower the boat, you can just jump overboard, wearing the life jacket that is thoughtfully provided in each and every stateroom.
I find it hard to believe that they have enough lifeboats for everyone. There only appears to be a few dozen at most and what if I don't know how to drive mine or want to be together with my wife?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2016, 12:57 PM

12,601 posts, read 7,229,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
I find it hard to believe that they have enough lifeboats for everyone. There only appears to be a few dozen at most and what if I don't know how to drive mine or want to be together with my wife?
Maritime Law requires that there be enough for over 100% of all crew and passengers.

Quote:
Modern passenger ships engaged on international voyages, which are not short must carry partially or totally enclosed lifeboats on each side to accommodate not less than 50% of the total number of persons on board (in other words, the two sides together must equal at least 100%. Some lifeboats can be substituted by liferafts. In addition, inflatable or rigid liferafts to accommodate at least 25% of the total number of persons on board. Sufficient lifeboats and life rafts of such capacity as to accommodate 125% of the total number of people on board.

Old 05-18-2016, 01:02 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,064,596 times

so I take that not everyone gets their own lifeboat? I hope I don't get any weirdoes in mine.

Old 05-18-2016, 01:32 PM

2,795 posts, read 5,616,843 times
I live here in Alaska, and cruises are still very popular. But Alaskan cruises aren't about the ship. They are about getting to some great spots to explore on the various excursions. It's like a floating hotel where you wake up in a new town each day. And travel around Southeast Alaska can be difficult otherwise. Flights are expensive and the Alaska Marine Highway ferry schedule isn't the most convenient.
Yes, a lot of the excursions in port are run by or contracted to the cruiseline. But in every case, with a little bit of research, you can find local vendors for a much better, more personalized experience.
Now I don't recommend the pre-packages "cruisetours" for explore Southcentral Alaska after the cruise (if doing a one-way cruise). For that, it's much better to rent a car and put together your own trip on your own schedule for your own interest.

Old 05-18-2016, 01:35 PM

16,560 posts, read 10,635,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
so I take that not everyone gets their own lifeboat? I hope I don't get any weirdoes in mine.

Lifeboat seating is assigned according to how much you paid for your cruise tickets. So the big spenders up on the top-deck suites get the little mini-yacht with the wet bar and snack service, whereas the cheapskates in the lower-deck interior rooms get the raft. (If you're lucky, you'll be the random passenger who's given the tire pump with which to inflate it.)

As for the crew in these various life-saving craft, how hard they row depends on how much you've tipped them up to that point on the voyage.

Old 05-18-2016, 02:12 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,465,877 times
Who said they're not? You also gotta consider a huge portion of our population lives away from the coast. Cruise ships are expensive now add in someone driving or flying from Kansas to Florida to take one.

Old 05-18-2016, 03:59 PM

15,220 posts, read 10,318,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Where we get off the ship, head to an off the beaten path, non touristy bar or restaurant, and hang with the locals.

Except in the Caribbean, where we typically stay on the ship , enjoying the peace and quiet of the resort amenities, while the hoards of passengers get off the ship and go shopping.

As far as airlines go, that's ALL I expect them to do - get me to my destination safely. We fly coach: I HOPE to be reasonably comfortable, close to schedule, and I'm delighted if I'm entertained.

The most interesting thing about this thread us that the folks that say they hate cruising are always the ones that have never even taken a cruise.

I don't have to take a cruise to know I won't like it. Same way I know I wouldn't want to travel to the moon even though I haven't done it. I don't like crowds and I'm not a foodie. The only type of cruise I might consider is one of those European cruises where you are still near the coast.

Old 05-18-2016, 04:10 PM

99 posts, read 93,093 times
I love cruising, and I'll tell you why.

I have been on 5 Disney cruises. 2 to the caribbean, one from Vancouver to LA, one transatlantic, and one mediterranean. At the time my children were small, and I loved that they could have all the "kid comforts" while onboard. I didn't have to worry about entertaining them, they LOVED the activities the cruise ship had. In the Mediterranean it was fun waking up to a new port ever day. On the transatlantic it was nice to just RELAX. I watched movies, ate good food, had fun with my kids, and enjoyed relaxing on deck watching the sun set.

I guess it really just depends on your vacation style. If you're a person who loves to GO GO GO on vacation, then cruising is not for you. But if you like laid back, relaxing, kid-friendly (Disney), then you might like cruising.

Some people I think worry about getting seasick as well.

Old 05-18-2016, 06:47 PM

8,877 posts, read 13,917,274 times
We sold our family RV 11 years ago and began cruising at least once per year since. We enjoy the heck out of it.

I can see there will come a time when we may go back to RV'ing or maybe even start traveling to Europe for vacations. But for now we'll stick with cruising.

Old 05-18-2016, 08:54 PM

17,596 posts, read 15,266,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanthersPanthers View Post
I love cruising, and I'll tell you why.

I have been on 5 Disney cruises. 2 to the caribbean, one from Vancouver to LA, one transatlantic, and one mediterranean. At the time my children were small, and I loved that they could have all the "kid comforts" while onboard. I didn't have to worry about entertaining them, they LOVED the activities the cruise ship had. In the Mediterranean it was fun waking up to a new port ever day. On the transatlantic it was nice to just RELAX. I watched movies, ate good food, had fun with my kids, and enjoyed relaxing on deck watching the sun set.

I guess it really just depends on your vacation style. If you're a person who loves to GO GO GO on vacation, then cruising is not for you. But if you like laid back, relaxing, kid-friendly (Disney), then you might like cruising.

Some people I think worry about getting seasick as well.
Everyone i've talked to says how Disney cruises are top of the line. And, they had better be.. You're paying for them. I think Carnival runs maybe $400 for a 3-day cruise to the Bahamas while Disney is like $1500.

Now, I'll say.. I've not been on a cruise.. My brother loves them.. My aunt and uncle go once a year.. I have little interest in it.. And here and the reasons why.

#1 and this is 90% of the reason. I burst into flames in the sun. Back when I had hair, I was ginger, and while the hair is gone.. The fair skin remains. I burn on overcast days. So.. Pool.. Out.. Sitting on the deck.. Out. Unless it's 'moon-bathing'. This isn't cruise specific.. I don't vacation at the beach, either. Same reason.

#2 - I don't gamble.. So.. That holds no attraction for me.

#3 - I didn't care for Hawaii when I spent a summer out there in '91 because I felt claustrophobic.. A boat would be far worse. Though, the timeframe would be shorter.. So, I doubt this would be a problem, but..

#4 - I know that crews do everything they can to sanitize.. But, you hear about it all the time.. Stomach bugs knocking out half to 3/4s of passengers.

#5 - The focus on food. Look.. I go to Vegas, yeah, I'll hit the buffets here and there, but I really want to eat at the restaurants, not the trough. And, wait.. I go to Vegas and I don't gamble? Yep. Shows, sights and restaurants are good for me.

Now.. All that's me. I don't take anything away from the people who actually consider the sun their friend.. You like cruises.. more power to you. I would like to do one at some point, just to see how it is.. See the Bahamas and things like that.. But, at this point in my life.. Little to no interest.

I totally disagree with the OP and title of this topic that cruises are not popular.. I think they're massively popular. They're just not for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel