Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2016, 11:03 AM

7,487 posts, read 8,004,316 times

Advertisements

The TSA already can't properly staff the existing screening points. Adding yet another special line would require them to hire many more screeners along with a bunch more people who's job is to stand around and try to look important.

Instead I think the TSA would be better off becoming more efficient. Do away with some of the procedures that don't actually accomplish anything. Improve technology. Perhaps have some of the people that just stand around trying to look important and put them on the screening points.

Something else that would go a long way towards making screening a much less miserable event would be to have the TSA employees do away with the attitude they give passengers on a regular basis. If you want my respect you have to earn it. Wearing a shiny badge and having posters saying I must respect you does not work with me.

There are other things that would help. One would be to strictly enforce the 2 carry-on rule. This would also include the second oversized roll on passengers claim is their personal bag. Have more than what is allowed you are kicked out of the line and once you consolidate, check or whatever to become compliant you go to the end of the line and start over.

Something else that might help would have volunteers to help families with small children, elderly, disabled or any other passengers needing help getting their stuff up onto the x-ray machine. Then once the passengers go thru the screening point have volunteers with carts to help these same passengers gather up everything and move to a place where they can stuff everything back into their bags. People love to volunteer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2016, 02:01 PM

7,519 posts, read 13,624,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I did a trip last week, and another two weeks before. Every time, I got TSA Pre-Check and have never paid for it. It saved me 1.5-2 hours in Seattle, but in smaller airports like McCarran Las Vegas and Long Beach CA there were no long lines to worry about. Choose your flight times and airports carefully and avoid peak times/days.
On what basis were you selected for a free Pre-Check ??

Old 05-21-2016, 03:12 PM

17,155 posts, read 12,962,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hemlock140 View Post
i did a trip last week, and another two weeks before. Every time, i got tsa pre-check and have never paid for it. It saved me 1.5-2 hours in seattle, but in smaller airports like mccarran las vegas and long beach ca there were no long lines to worry about. choose your flight times and airports carefully and avoid peak times/days.
lmao.

Old 05-21-2016, 03:52 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,587,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
lmao.
I'm not sure what you are laughing at its fairly good advice to potentially cut down wait times

Old 05-21-2016, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post

The selection basis isn't public as far as I'm aware

Old 05-21-2016, 03:58 PM

3,298 posts, read 2,474,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
It's not just a paid lane, I get it most of the time for free
Yep. GF & I have flown several times in the last year, and each flight we've had TSA PreCheck even though it's not something either of us applied or paid for.

Old 05-21-2016, 04:05 PM

17,155 posts, read 12,962,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hemlock140 View Post
i did a trip last week, and another two weeks before. Every time, i got tsa pre-check and have never paid for it. It saved me 1.5-2 hours in seattle, but in smaller airports like mccarran las vegas and long beach ca there were no long lines to worry about. choose your flight times and airports carefully and avoid peak times/days.
lmao.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
I'm not sure what you are laughing at its fairly good advice to potentially cut down wait times
I'm laughing because it would be good advice if it were realistic. But it's not. For one thing, Americans have little if any choice when it comes to airports. And many routes have only one or two flights going out per day to insure whichever flight is completely booked. And even if we had selection, it makes no difference because we have no control over TSA's behavior. I watched a whistleblower piece on 60 minutes last week in which the cameraman was videotaping the security lines at a couple major airports (I think they were La Guardia, LAX, and O'Hare). The security lines were so long passengers were getting there the requisite 1.5 hours before their flight and STILL MISSING THEIR FLIGHTS because they couldn't get through the security line before the plane took off! The airlines are seriously discussing firing TSA and hiring private security companies to handle the workload.

Old 05-21-2016, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
lmao.
I'm laughing because it would be good advice if it were realistic. But it's not. For one thing, Americans have little if any choice when it comes to airports.
Do you have anything to support this?

Quote:
And many routes have only one or two flights going out per day to insure whichever flight is completely booked.
Do you live in a rural town?

Quote:
And even if we had selection, it makes no difference because we have no control over TSA's behavior
True and irrelevant to the suggestion

Quote:
. I watched a whistleblower piece on 60 minutes last week in which the cameraman was videotaping the security lines at a couple major airports (I think they were La Guardia, LAX, and O'Hare). The security lines were so long passengers were getting there the requisite 1.5 hours before their flight and STILL MISSING THEIR FLIGHTS because they couldn't get through the security line before the plane took off! The airlines are seriously discussing firing TSA and hiring private security companies to handle the workload.
This is actually a response in support of the suggestion given. Even if you have one airport to choose from looking for off peak times can certainly be helpful.

Old 05-21-2016, 04:54 PM

520 posts, read 601,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
I've been selected for a free Pre-Check for having a high frequent flyer status.

Old 05-21-2016, 08:22 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,886,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
In some airport terminals there are no TSA pre-check lanes. I’ve had trouble with this in Phoenix and in Atlanta this year. It was simply the wrong terminal and they didn’t have “space” for pre-check lanes so we had to be through the like cattle being pushed to the screeners. Not fun!
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
Just a FYI Atlanta has TSA Pre-Check @ all 4 Check points

Domestic terminal Main (Center) ,
Domestic terminal North,
Domestic terminal South (Currently closed until ~5-27-2016 for upgrades)

and the International Terminal.
Phoenix terminal #3 Delta has no TSA pre-check lines as of April 4th 2016.
Atlanta terminal F international returning on Air France has Global Entry however when leaving terminal F to move onto other departing terminals there were no TSA pre-check lines. We were told they didn’t have room for them in the confined area they were located in as of April 16 2016.

We were able to walk through the Global Entry location at Atlanta without any problem as we showed them our passports and ID. We were the only ones in line there. Leaving that area and picking up checked baggage we moved into another area. Checked baggage that was going onto another terminal was collected by an agent there. Leaving that location of international, we then encountered the TSA check-in for all other domestic terminal flights. This was one line pushing through and then divided up to about six TSA check points. Again, NO TSA pre-check at this point in the terminal F when leaving for the other terminals. Perhaps other terminals have them ONLY if you enter from other locations but not through the F terminal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel