Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2016, 07:09 PM

45,398 posts, read 60,592,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Sorry, I can't agree with you or sympathize on this one. I do understand how you feel, but June to Sept is among the heaviest travel time of the year and certainly a motel in a touristy city will up their rates. If they continue to lose business you may see the rates go down. In the meanwhile it is supply and demand. Like the rest of us, they are in the business to make money.

This in a nutshell.

Ocean City, MD, the Holiday Inn Suites is $140/night Oct. 1 to April 30. May 1 to Sept. 30 is $390/night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2016, 07:16 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,287,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
This in a nutshell.

Ocean City, MD, the Holiday Inn Suites is $140/night Oct. 1 to April 30. May 1 to Sept. 30 is $390/night.

And I paid $48/ night at the other Holiday Inn in Ocean City in early November a couple of years ago. Rathes are seasonal. If you need to travel in the peak months, you pay peak prices. If you are patient and travel when occupancy rates are low, you get the spoils.

Old 06-10-2016, 09:47 PM

44,632 posts, read 61,629,357 times
OP standard rates for summer season listed here start at your LQ motel 67.50 up w/AAA/AARP. Bargain time I would say.
Select A Room
Other [name deleted]'s in SAT are as high as $139.50

Last edited by PJSaturn; 06-11-2016 at 06:39 PM..

Old 06-10-2016, 09:55 PM

4,248 posts, read 4,163,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheatpenny View Post
I normally stay 1 night per week at an older[name deleted] Inn in San Antonio since it's clean and centrally located. Normal rate is $53/night up until June hit. Now, the same room is $20 more per night + taxes. I noticed that there are no more cars in the parking lot than before. In fact, it looks like even less!! I always thought that motel/hotel rates were "supply and demand", but that appears not to be the case. These ppl are no better than the oil companies who hike gasoline prices every time the Middle East hiccups. Sucks.

OP, did you ever think that maybe they are trying to cover some increase in operating cost, like a property tax hike, rate increases from SAWS / CPS / insurance carriers, or the like?

Or maybe they are expecting a lot of occupancy due to graduations, tourists, etc. There is such a thing as seasonal rates, especially in tourist towns.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 06-11-2016 at 06:39 PM..

Old 06-10-2016, 10:48 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,590,182 times
Try staying at a hotel in Alaska. Summer rates are about $300 a night. In the winter, that same room is $100. Try getting a room on Super Bowl weekend in the host city. If you can even find a room, it will be astronomical.

Old 06-11-2016, 02:24 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,500,168 times
Quote:
I normally stay 1 night per week at an older [name deleted] Inn in San Antonio since it's clean and centrally located. Normal rate is $53/night up until June hit. Now, the same room is $20 more per night + taxes. I noticed that there are no more cars in the parking lot than before. In fact, it looks like even less!! I always thought that motel/hotel rates were "supply and demand", but that appears not to be the case. These ppl are no better than the oil companies who hike gasoline prices every time the Middle East hiccups. Sucks.
High season, low season, mid season.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 06-11-2016 at 06:40 PM..

Old 06-11-2016, 02:48 AM

9,891 posts, read 11,768,929 times
OP you are looking at it from the wrong direction.

A motel has to earn so much income per year to make a profit. The price you are seeing is the normal price for the stay, and when business drops off they lower the price to attract more visitors. You have been staying there during the off season, when they lower the price to attract visitors and hope to break even at least. Now the rates are back to normal level, so by the end of the year they have earned $xx for the year and are profitable.

We used to go to Laughlin Nevada when we lived in St George Utah. Much cleaner and nicer than Las Vegas. I have seen where they lowered the prices say at 6 p.m. when occupancy rates were not up to normal, especially on week nights. We would not check in, till we saw if they were getting their occupancy rates down low. We paid as low as $15 per night, for a $50 room.

They are not raising the rates, but have quit lowering them due to increased number of available visitors.

Old 06-11-2016, 04:59 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
As I said, I have stayed at this motel every week for several months. This was the first time that I noticed only 2 other cars parked in the area where I always stay. I am on the frequent stay program, but they don't accumulate that fast. If the motel were legitimately with NO VACANCY, I could understand the higher prices, but that's not the case. I'm going to use Air BNB service I the next few months, although I notice that the " bargain" properties go quickly and there has to good advance to get them.
you are totally missing the point: rates do go up and down: I know you said you have stayed there every week for months, that has nothing to do with the summer rates being higher, whether they started the policy this year, last of whenever. I think we can all relate to what we paid at a particular property several times, just to see it just the next time. It also has to do with competition. You just said it yourself, the good deals go fast. As for how many cars in the parking lot, even that doesn't really tell much.

We stay at a hotel near our local regional airport when we fly somewhere. We are aware of price changes. Sometimes we have to pay $20 more than maybe a week earlier. No one is ripping us off. Do I like it? Of course not. Do I think the price of hotels have gotten out of hand? yes, but that's business and the price you were getting is dirt cheap for any hotel/motel, in any city, especially someplace like San Antonio.

Old 06-11-2016, 05:08 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
OP you are looking at it from the wrong direction.

A motel has to earn so much income per year to make a profit. The price you are seeing is the normal price for the stay, and when business drops off they lower the price to attract more visitors. You have been staying there during the off season, when they lower the price to attract visitors and hope to break even at least. Now the rates are back to normal level, so by the end of the year they have earned $xx for the year and are profitable.

We used to go to Laughlin Nevada when we lived in St George Utah. Much cleaner and nicer than Las Vegas. I have seen where they lowered the prices say at 6 p.m. when occupancy rates were not up to normal, especially on week nights. We would not check in, till we saw if they were getting their occupancy rates down low. We paid as low as $15 per night, for a $50 room.

They are not raising the rates, but have quit lowering them due to increased number of available visitors.
And I remember staying in Laughlin weekdays and getting a free room after only 1 or 2 stays. Then, as you say other times the rates were twice as high or more.

Old 06-11-2016, 09:20 AM

9,694 posts, read 7,394,892 times
but still $73 is dirt cheap, when average is $120
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel