Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2016, 02:06 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,034,466 times

Advertisements

I think it's good to get away from the kids now and then. Everything you do every day is kidcentric. A trip alone would give you time to rest and recharge!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2016, 07:07 AM

2,093 posts, read 1,926,342 times
We are in the same boat. Also have a 7 year old boy. Couples trips are now limited pretty much to weekends. We aren't going away for our one big trip the entire year and leaving him at home. Not our style. Maybe when he's 15 or something.

We already did Disney and might do it again soon. Its fun for the family obviously and great for a 7 year old. He loved it.

Old 10-27-2016, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joee5 View Post
Then I'd choose the family trip. They only stay little for so long. My two shot up so fast it's unreal. Family time is important.
Agreed. To me its a no brainer.

Old 10-27-2016, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aery11 View Post
When my daughter was 4, we took her to Orlando to see Disney World and never even got there - we spent so much time at Epcot which was much 'gentler' and more interesting for her parents and she didn't know the difference to be honest. There were 'rides' - which we all enjoyed. Had she been 7 or 8 I think she would have outgrown Minnie and Mickey anyway - so I have no real idea to this day what the 'right age' is for Disney.

If I were you, I would do the 'couple's trip' this time. You will be much better parents in the long run if you do this for yourselves now. Have fun!
7 and 8 year olds aren't too grown up for Disney. There are four parks and a million things to do for all ages. Its a perfect age..... not too small to not know what's going on, but not too big to want to spend time with you. IF there are things the kids don't really care for, just don't spend time at that part.

Old 10-27-2016, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
I am amazed at all the people who are shocked that you haven't taken a "couple's trip" in eight years. Among my friends and relatives who have children it is very, very unusual for the parents to take more than an overnight or weekend away from their children. In fact, I can not even think of anyone that I know who took a week long vacation away from their children, ever.

Everyone here on CD must be made of money, or can't stand their children, or both if they consider it common or typical to take frequent week long "adult only vacations".

My husband and I had a two night honeymoon (in a nearby city) and after our children were born had one one night vacation without them (until they went away to college) and then every day, at home, was a vacation, as empty nesters.

And, shockingly we are still married, we still love each other very much and we will have been married for 40 years on our next anniversary.

Of course, couples vacations are wonderful if you can afford them and if you can afford to pay babysitters 24/7 to watch your children (or have relatives who live nearby) but they are not essential for a long, happy marriage.
Exactly! When they're young, with the big week long vacations- I wouldn't even think of leaving the kid out. They are only little for awhile. Pretty soon they are in baseball or whatever all summer and you can't do anything.

Old 10-27-2016, 08:51 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,962,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicky91 View Post
Not sure if I should put this in parenting forum or here.
I can only afford one big trip this year. We do plenty of small weekend getaways but I want to go somewhere for at least a week.
Option 1: Disney world for our family of 3. My son just turned 7 last week
or
Option 2: A romantic trip to Jamaica ( or something similar ) for my husband and I.

I wouldn't think twice about going to disney land but my husband and I haven't gone anywhere together since our honeymoon.
Is it selfish to just go on a couples trip or should I just take another weekend trip for us and make the big trip Disney World?
There's your answer.

Old 10-27-2016, 11:53 AM

2,669 posts, read 2,092,040 times
Quote:
I apologize. My response was a little strong.

But, I am very serious when I say that I do not know even one couple who took a week long "adult only vacation" while their children were still living at home. Maybe it is more common in some cities or in some places or in some families, but among my friends, relatives and co-workers, and my husband's co-workers. I can not recall even one couple doing that even one time. Now, it is true that some couples did take overnight and weekend trips without their children (and left their children with relatives, friends or babysitters).
Really, you don't know anyone who went on adult's only vacation for a week for I assume eighteen years while their kids lived with them? Are you sure? I don't want to be judgmental but to me this sounds like adults deprive themselves of essential time to reinvigorate and enhance their relationship.

Quote:
If you can afford it and it works for you than that is great, but my main point was don't assume that you "have to take" adult only vacations to keep your marriage alive or that "everyone" takes adult only vacations, because they don't.

Well, everyone I know, takes parents only week-long vacations occasionally. I would say typically every other year and kids usually stay with parents.

Old 10-27-2016, 01:30 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,623,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefiantNJ View Post
Really, you don't know anyone who went on adult's only vacation for a week for I assume eighteen years while their kids lived with them? Are you sure? I don't want to be judgmental but to me this sounds like adults deprive themselves of essential time to reinvigorate and enhance their relationship.
I never heard of anyone doing this until my sister-in-law started doing it when they had their first child. Now they take annual week long trips without the kids......magically they keep having them every 2, 2.5 years. They don't do family vacations at all except for the 2 Disney trips her mother-in-law took them all on.

Not a single person in my family has gone on vacation without their kids. Many people can't afford vacations. Many don't have a place to dump their kids for a week. My grandparents were married for over 50 years before my grandfather died. They never went on a vacation! Couldn't afford one when they had kids. Then they helped their kids out when they were adults. They were still very in love and had their own way with each other. My grandmother went to the nursing home and made him his meals every single day except for 3 days for the 3+ years he was in a nursing home with dementia.

Old 10-27-2016, 07:24 PM

810 posts, read 667,681 times
both in moderation

Old 10-27-2016, 08:08 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,107,880 times
Wow!

Every kid I knew and my parents all took vacations away from their kids and I'm talking about the 60s-80s. My parents went to Europe every year without me and my siblings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel