Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2016, 07:36 AM

4,217 posts, read 4,740,409 times

Advertisements

I'm going to have 1 day in London next month...I land from the US early on a Friday morning (at 6:00 am).

London hasn't actually been on my list of places to visit and my main purpose of stopping there for a day before heading on to Spain is to meet with an ex colleague of mine which likely will not happen until later in the evening (after 6 pm or so) when they're done working.

So I will have pretty much the whole day to kill time. Any suggestions on just a few things to do while there? Also, I will have my carry-on with me so I might be a little limited It will just be my carry-on though as I'm packing light for the first time with this trip. I land in Heathrow but the next day I fly out of Stansted. So the part about having the bag with me while out and about will need to be taken into consideration. Not sure how I'm going to get around with that yet as I hate to have to lug it around but I'm open to suggestions surrounding this as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2016, 08:51 AM

7,777 posts, read 10,156,636 times
I don't know london so no specific advice from me. But if you are staying the night somewhere then you could leave your luggage there? Large train stations often also have luggage holds so you can find out which one is nearest to where you will be meeting your colleague.

Old 11-12-2016, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
I don't know london so no specific advice from me. But if you are staying the night somewhere then you could leave your luggage there? Large train stations often also have luggage holds so you can find out which one is nearest to where you will be meeting your colleague.
The issue with that is I'm flying into one airport and leaving from another...

Old 11-12-2016, 09:49 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,124,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southkakkatlantan View Post
The issue with that is I'm flying into one airport and leaving from another...
ok ... where are you sleeping for the night?
Many train stations have left luggage service : http://www.visitlondon.com/traveller...ZkGwcVTb0Qf.97

Last edited by jaypee; 11-12-2016 at 10:01 AM..

Old 11-12-2016, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
ok ... where are you sleeping for the night?
Many train stations have left luggage service : Left Luggage Facilities - Traveller Information - visitlondon.com
I'll be staying with my friend who's an ex colleague of mine...but I'm not sure of what side of town she's on just yet.

So as of now that's why I was saying I'd have my bag with me until I meet up her.

Thanks for the info about the left luggage! That is very helpful. So, I think once I figure out what places I want to see that day, I can place my luggage in one of the stations in the area I'd be touring....

Have you used this before?

Old 11-12-2016, 02:10 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,124,133 times
Quote:

Have you used this before?
Nope, but there's no reason to think it won't be safe there for a few hours.
I sure as heck wouldn't want to drag my roller all over London.
Oh, and ... Mind The Gap!

Old 11-12-2016, 07:08 PM

2,120 posts, read 1,790,558 times
I would consider a hop on hop off bus tour. You will get to see most of the sights of the city and can note if there is an area or two that you want to explore on foot. Also as long as your bag isn't huge you shouldn't have a problem with taking it on the bus with you. Since you are getting in early you may want to ask your friend if you can either meet her at her home before work or possibly at her job to leave your bag. If you don't feel comfortable asking her, just ask her if she knows of a place where you might be able to leave your bag. There may be some small businesses that provide such a service, we used one in Ibiza so I wouldn't be surprised if there are similar services in London,

Old 11-12-2016, 07:54 PM

32,638 posts, read 48,005,355 times
It depends upon what you like. There are world class museums. But all of the traditional tourist sites are worth seeing, too. The crown jewels, Big Ben, the tour of the Parliament building, the food court at Harrods (seriously ).

The double decker bus tour is worth taking.

Old 11-12-2016, 08:42 PM

67 posts, read 41,282 times
A circular route:
Get the tube to Trafalgar Square.
Walk down Whitehall past Horseguards and Downing Street.
Visit Westminster Abbey and Houses of Parliament.
Then get a boat from by Westminster Bridge along the Thames to The Tower of London.
Walk to StPauls via The Monument.
Get the tube to Green Park.
Have a look at Buckingham Palace and take The Mall back to Trafalgar Square.
If you then have any energy left you can do some shopping in Oxford Street.

Old 11-12-2016, 09:48 PM

3,766 posts, read 4,101,710 times
Quote:
I'm going to have 1 day in London next month...I land from the US early on a Friday morning (at 6:00 am).

London hasn't actually been on my list of places to visit and my main purpose of stopping there for a day before heading on to Spain is to meet with an ex colleague of mine which likely will not happen until later in the evening (after 6 pm or so) when they're done working.

So I will have pretty much the whole day to kill time. Any suggestions on just a few things to do while there? Also, I will have my carry-on with me so I might be a little limited It will just be my carry-on though as I'm packing light for the first time with this trip. I land in Heathrow but the next day I fly out of Stansted. So the part about having the bag with me while out and about will need to be taken into consideration. Not sure how I'm going to get around with that yet as I hate to have to lug it around but I'm open to suggestions surrounding this as well.
Have you ever taken an overnight flight across the Atlantic before? Are you able to sleep on those jets? If the answer is no, the best thing you can do is get a room and take a nap for a few hours as soon as you get off the plane. That is what I do because I have never been able to get any sleep while flying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel