Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 03:43 PM

2,554 posts, read 6,908,227 times

Advertisements

I had a great time in New Mexico. I loved the cities, offering so much to do, and the landscape of the state is great. NM gets overlooked a lot. It has the great deserts, and the mountains were great. You could be in ALBQ for sometime enjoying the big city, and then head north a few hours and be at some great ski resorts. I expected to go to NM and see no culture, and nothing but dirty looking small cities. Complete opposite. Travel to New Mexico and see all the great things it has to offer. You won't regret it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2008, 04:27 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,421,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler87 View Post
I had a great time in New Mexico. I loved the cities, offering so much to do, and the landscape of the state is great. NM gets overlooked a lot. It has the great deserts, and the mountains were great. You could be in ALBQ for sometime enjoying the big city, and then head north a few hours and be at some great ski resorts. I expected to go to NM and see no culture, and nothing but dirty looking small cities. Complete opposite. Travel to New Mexico and see all the great things it has to offer. You won't regret it.
ABQ and "big city". Well, kinda. Biggest in the state maybe. And yes, NM is gorgeous. Er, make that VERY gorgeous. My personal faves are Santa Fe, Taos, and the Carlsbad Caverns/White Sands area. I loved spending time there and will definitely do so again. But regarding the "dirty looking small cities", I did find plenty of those!

Old 03-05-2008, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
ABQ and "big city". Well, kinda. Biggest in the state maybe. And yes, NM is gorgeous. Er, make that VERY gorgeous. My personal faves are Santa Fe, Taos, and the Carlsbad Caverns/White Sands area. I loved spending time there and will definitely do so again. But regarding the "dirty looking small cities", I did find plenty of those!

LOL yes plenty of those. But Santa Fe was amazing, and Taos was incredible. And New Mexico has some great national parks. ALBQ was a decent sized city, that was getting some good assets to make it a better city. New Mexico is extremely underrated.

Old 03-05-2008, 05:02 PM

Quote:
LOL yes plenty of those. But Santa Fe was amazing, and Taos was incredible. And New Mexico has some great national parks. ALBQ was a decent sized city, that was getting some good assets to make it a better city. New Mexico is extremely underrated.
Underrated indeed. Id love to retire there, somewhere either up near Santa Fe or maybe the Las Cruces area, we'll see. Wasnt a fan of ABQ at all, but Old Town was ok and the Sandia Tram is wicked. Wont go back to ABQ, but Santa Fe/Taos/White Sands? Heck yeah!

Old 03-05-2008, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Underrated indeed. Id love to retire there, somewhere either up near Santa Fe or maybe the Las Cruces area, we'll see. Wasnt a fan of ABQ at all, but Old Town was ok and the Sandia Tram is wicked. Wont go back to ABQ, but Santa Fe/Taos/White Sands? Heck yeah!

The Sandia Tram was great! Awesome views.

Old 03-05-2008, 05:07 PM

Quote:
The Sandia Tram was great! Awesome views.
Indeed. Im afraid of heights and didnt like the ride up or down, but the view from on top of the Sandias was world class. Wouldve liked to see it at night though. Anyways, there were some trails up there that led off, but I didnt have any gear to check them out. Maybe next time.

Old 03-05-2008, 05:11 PM

3,037 posts, read 5,932,241 times
Quote:
. But Santa Fe was amazing, and Taos was incredible. And New Mexico has some great national parks. ALBQ was a decent sized city, that was getting some good assets to make it a better city. New Mexico is extremely underrated.
I'll second that - the thing about travelling is you often hear where you SHOULD have gone, when you didn't. From work colleagues, I'm a total loser (apparently) for not going to Taos, or San Antonio...or Las Cruces. (sp?)
But there's only so much you can do in 7 weeks.

OTOH, said colleagues were amazed that we enjoyed ALBQ (one of them is from there).
Cant please everyone, so please yourself I reckon! (and save like crazy so you can go back)

Old 03-05-2008, 05:54 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,799,875 times
My visit to Yosemite National Park for the first time last December made me realize that one of the most spectacular places on earth is right in my backyard and I hadn't even bothered to visit for the last 10 years!

Now I am planning to make another visit in the summer

Old 03-05-2008, 06:05 PM

3,037 posts, read 5,932,241 times
Oooh, we wanted to drive through Yosemite last winter, but a huge storm put paid to that. I imagine it's one of those places you have to see each different season to appreciate the beauty.
Dont feel too badly about not visiting though, friends of ours in O.C have been together 15 years, and never been to S.F together. (which is fine, but they keep saying they want to go).

Old 03-05-2008, 06:12 PM

286 posts, read 1,322,858 times
Well, first off - being a NM resident, I'm happy to hear so many people like this state! Now you know why so many of us have moved here from other parts! I love ABQ and Santa Fe, but I really love these mountains.

As to travel, two of my favorite experiences were in Florida. St. Augustine is a beautiful, OLD city. We had a wonderful time there with our kids, and I'd love to go back. The other was Key West. The people were so nice, and we had a great visit, seeing the sights, eating conch and doing the tour with our daughter. Plus, key lime pie on a stick, dipped in chocolate and then frozen - a heart attack on a stick, but oh so yummy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel