Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2017, 03:45 PM

4,041 posts, read 4,962,533 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHelmit View Post
Afternoon all! Girlfriend and I are planning a 5 day stay at one of the Disney resorts in FL. The total price without the meal plan was $1450 and with the meal plan, 2 quick services meals per day per guest, was $2016. My question is do you think 2 people will really spend 600 in 5 days on quick service meals at Disney? I know the food there is overpriced like any park, but just wondering. I don't think it's worth it but I think the peace of mind of having meals covered and not having to buy them out of pocket at the time would be nice. At least one of th restauarants we want to go to (Rainforest Cafe) is not included in these quick service deals. Any insight?

We went to Disney a couple of years ago and went for two days. We are a family of 4 (2 kids that were 6/7 at the time)and we only spent about $275 dollars total for food while we were there which included the Rainforest Cafe at Downtown Disney. We had cereal for them for breakfast as we had taken a cruise first and walked off the ship with a couple of the little boxes. We ate at the Starlight Cafe both days for lunch and the first night we went to Rainforest ($120 or so with tip) and the 2nd night we ate at our resort (Port Orleans - Riverside). We got snacks for the kids both days - ice cream treats and we did waters and a couple of sodas (it was beginning of September when we were there). I had budgeted a whole lot more and had a ton of money left over after the trip.

I don't think it's worth it to spend $2016 on food unless you and your girlfriend are foodies. Yes, the food is expense on property but you can always go off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2017, 08:21 PM

169 posts, read 115,472 times
Sorry can't relate here. Me and my husband went to Disney and Orlando and didn't even hit $1000, I think. I don't know he paid for everything. But knowing him? No way he is gonna spend that much for a trip to anywhere! And I won't allow him to.

I know it's your money, your vacay, but I don't think I will enjoy my vacay knowing I spend that much.

We've been to Vegas, Canada and other places, and never spend that much each and every time. We don't have kids so that help.

I also would rather drive. I love road trips. We drove both times we went to Canada.

Old 02-02-2017, 12:43 PM

3,828 posts, read 8,473,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHelmit View Post
Trip is booked for September 11-17th, so we will call on March 11th to make reservatons. We are trying to go to Be Our Guest, Rainforest Cafe, Boma or The Mara and not too sure in the rest yet. We call the restaurant or...?
If you can get Be Our Guest reservations, consider yourself lucky. They are not easy to come by...but if you can get one for a breakfast time before the park opens you can get into the back of the park, be done with breakfast, and in line for a ride as the rope drops at the front of the park.

Boma was nice. They also have a free tasting tour you can take before dinner. That's worth checking out. It's buffet style...I enjoyed it but wasn't blown away.

Old 02-02-2017, 07:51 PM

3,478 posts, read 6,559,658 times
Disney World Free Dining 2017 Dates - Disney Tourist Blog

You are very possibly within the free dining plan promotion dates--look into this and consider a disney vacation planner (free to you). The promotion isn't guaranteed and books up quickly!

Quote:
If you can get Be Our Guest reservations, consider yourself lucky. They are not easy to come by...but if you can get one for a breakfast time before the park opens you can get into the back of the park, be done with breakfast, and in line for a ride as the rope drops at the front of the park.
You need to make reservations the first day you possibly can. Since you are staying on site, that is actually slightly before reservations open up to non-Disney guests. I believe it works like this: You get to make reservations 180 from the first day of your trip, but since the later days of your trip are actually further out than 180 days, you have an advantage over Disney guests as they do not have access to those dates. You need to do it first thing that morning on the Disney website. Have a plan!

As far as Be Our Guest goes, consider lunchtime. It is one of the few restaurants that takes reservations for lunchtime counter service because of the popularity of the restaurant. You will not have to wait in line and get to experience the restaurant AND it counts as a counter service dining credit vs a more expensive sit down dining credit.

Check out some of the Disney food blogs and forums. You can spent a few hours getting the key details and you will enjoy your trip so much more!

Old 02-03-2017, 07:48 AM

4,041 posts, read 4,962,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mSooner View Post
Disney World Free Dining 2017 Dates - Disney Tourist Blog

You are very possibly within the free dining plan promotion dates--look into this and consider a disney vacation planner (free to you). The promotion isn't guaranteed and books up quickly!

You need to make reservations the first day you possibly can. Since you are staying on site, that is actually slightly before reservations open up to non-Disney guests. I believe it works like this: You get to make reservations 180 from the first day of your trip, but since the later days of your trip are actually further out than 180 days, you have an advantage over Disney guests as they do not have access to those dates. You need to do it first thing that morning on the Disney website. Have a plan!

As far as Be Our Guest goes, consider lunchtime. It is one of the few restaurants that takes reservations for lunchtime counter service because of the popularity of the restaurant. You will not have to wait in line and get to experience the restaurant AND it counts as a counter service dining credit vs a more expensive sit down dining credit.

Check out some of the Disney food blogs and forums. You can spent a few hours getting the key details and you will enjoy your trip so much more!
I agree about the Disney vacation planner. I used one and she kept on eye on my reservation and when the price dropped she let me know. She booked all the fast passes for me. We didn't book any reservations for food. I didn't want our disney vacation centered around when we needed to be somewhere to eat.

Old 02-03-2017, 07:56 AM

4,876 posts, read 4,207,524 times
Your dates are during Epcot's Food and Wine Festival. If you plan for any days there, you will probably want to try the festival items and not necessarily a quick-service or sit-down place. I think you can use dining plan options for some things, but not for all of it.

While I am usually a proponent of food/dining plans, they just are not as cost effective for two as they are for a family, especially at Disney

Old 02-22-2017, 06:19 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,087,442 times
If you are staying at a Disney resort, you can get some food items, i.e.; snacks and drinks, delivered to the resort by Amazon Prime. That will save you having to bring them with you and save you money over buying them on site.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel